Questions you thought were too stupid to ask

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

burnsbyrne wrote:When I was 6/7 years old I had a bee fly up my nose while I was riding my bike as fast as the wind.
Ugh.

I once had a hornet fly into my face and get stuck behind the lens of my eyeglasses. I yanked my glasses off so quickly that I broke them, but the little bugger still stung me on the eyelid. :evil:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:
jsluder wrote:
EricWingler wrote:A June bug packs quite a wallop as well.
A friend's dad was playing golf with some buddies. He opened his mouth to laugh at a joke and a June bug flew down his throat. He swallowed it.
EW EW EW EW!!!!!! That is just too gross for words!! Why on earth didn't he spit it out?? I'm not going to be able to get that mental image out of head for a very long time..... :boggle:

And I'll have you know, Slooderino, I don't particularly enjoy the picture you posted. It was nasty :P
He didn't spit it out because its momentum carried it too far down his throat and he automatically swallowed before he knew what happened. Just think of it as additional roughage in the diet.

Pictures of beetles bother you? You shouldn't 've told me that. Heh heh heh... :twisted:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Back on topic:

In the days before cell phones...

Me, answering home phone: "Hello?"
Response from caller: "Hi! It's Chuck. Are you at home?"
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:Just think of it as additional roughage in the diet.
I'd prefer not to think about it at all, thank you very much :P
Slooderino wrote: Pictures of beetles bother you? You shouldn't 've told me that. Heh heh heh... :twisted:
I'm not reading your posts anymore
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Japanese beetle

I ate one of these as a toddler. Or tried to . . . partially chewed, it got stuck pretty far back in my mouth. My mom ran off to find something long enough to grab it with, but my aunties thought that wasn't a very practical response. They just gave me a drink of water to wash it down.
Cotelette d'Agneau
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

fearfaoin wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:When a train travelling at 100 miles per hour hits a fly coming in the opposite direction,does the train really momenterally stop?
Can't imagine why it would... It might decelerate very, very slightly,
but its velocity doesn't go to 0, which is what it means to "stop".
Is there not some physics law that says that when something changes direction 180 degrees that it must first slow down,stop and then speed up again as with the fly,and seeing that the train is in contact with the fly ,it must also stop!!

Its all to do with and dealing with minuscule amounts of time epitomized by that great Irish genius, Flann O'Brien who put forward the idea that you never see a true reflection of yourself when you look in a mirror,because the time it takes for the light to leave your face, strike the mirror and be reflected back to your eyes ,your face will have changed!

RORY
PS I love the Irish greeting "Is it yourself ?"
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Conversation I had way too many times when I sold admission tickets to the local dog track:

Me: "Just so you know, it is now standing room only."

Customer: "Does that mean there is no place left to sit?"

Me: "Yes, sir (ma'am)."

Customer: "Oh, that's OK. I'll find some place to sit."

Me: "No, sir, there is no place left to sit. You'll have to stand."

Customer: "Oh, that's OK." *proceeds to buy ticket*

*returns 10-15 minutes later*

Customer: "Hey, there's no place left to sit! I want my money back!"
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Lambchop wrote:Image

Japanese beetle

I ate one of these as a toddler. Or tried to . . . partially chewed, it got stuck pretty far back in my mouth. My mom ran off to find something long enough to grab it with, but my aunties thought that wasn't a very practical response. They just gave me a drink of water to wash it down.
Good for you! Insects are exellent food for humans too. Very nutritious with high protein content. I read an article years ago about a scientist who ate lots of insects and larvae proving the point. In many african countries insects and larvae are a very good food supplement.
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

rorybbellows wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:When a train travelling at 100 miles per hour hits a fly coming in the opposite direction,does the train really momenterally stop?
Can't imagine why it would... It might decelerate very, very slightly,
but its velocity doesn't go to 0, which is what it means to "stop".
Is there not some physics law that says that when something changes direction 180 degrees that it must first slow down,stop and then speed up again as with the fly,and seeing that the train is in contact with the fly ,it must also stop!!

Its all to do with and dealing with minuscule amounts of time epitomized by that great Irish genius, Flann O'Brien who put forward the idea that you never see a true reflection of yourself when you look in a mirror,because the time it takes for the light to leave your face, strike the mirror and be reflected back to your eyes ,your face will have changed!

RORY
PS I love the Irish greeting "Is it yourself ?"
The present is elusive too! I takes some time for the signal from you eye to reach your brain.
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

falkbeer wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Image

Japanese beetle

Good for you! Insects are exellent food for humans too. Very nutritious with high protein content. I read an article years ago about a scientist who ate lots of insects and larvae proving the point. In many african countries insects and larvae are a very good food supplement.
True.

It's interesting that we will shell out big bucks for lobster but shun grasshoppers. The only real biogical difference being that one lives in the ocean and feeds on muck and dead things and the other lives in the fresh air and eats plants...Hmmmm.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Why do Americans say chips when they mean crisps?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Martin Milner wrote:Why do Americans say chips when they mean crisps?
Because "crisp" doesn't rhyme with "dip".
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

rorybbellows wrote:...and seeing that the train is in contact with the fly ,it must also stop!!
Not sure about that. I was never very good at the frame-of-reference problems.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

fearfaoin wrote:
rorybbellows wrote:...and seeing that the train is in contact with the fly ,it must also stop!!
Overheard on an elevator in a university's Electrical Engineering building:

[Elevator door opens.]
Person 1 (waiting for elevator): "Is this elevator going up?"
Person 2 (already on elevator): "Yes."
[Person 1 gets on elevator. Door closes.]
Person 2: "Of course, that depends on how you define your coordinate system."
[Elevator proceeds down.]
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

fearfaoin wrote:
It is a question of momentum. In simple terms, momentum can be thought of as Mo = Mass X Velocity. When the very tiny bug hits the train, it adds its mass to the train, giving it a very tiny increase in mass, which results in an almost immeasurable reduction in velocity. In essence, the bug does the 180 degree turn. The train never notices it. If it hits another train, however, which has a mass near the mass of the original train, but a velocity in the opposite direction, it creates quite a mess! Called a train wreck. For the bug, it makes no difference. :D