EC Tional-East Durham 10/26-10/28

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djones

Post by djones »

Just wanted to add my own high praise for this fantastic event! My wife (fiddler) and I have been attending three years running and it just gets better every year. Now that Gavins is hosting it, we benefit from an excellent venue as well as the already high quality instruction! Scheduling was perfect, and I enjoyed my lessons. On advice from an instructor last summer, I timidly signed up for advanced class and was glad I did so because I got so much out of it.

Dave Jones
meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

Can anyone PM me Suzanne Ward's contact info so I can find out about the shirts? I used to have it, but can't seem to find it.
Corin
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

SW

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

You should send an email to info@eastcoastpipers.com and ask if they have any shirts left to sell. I would expect that this will get you what you need if you don't otherwise hear from someone. Good luck.

Neil
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

Kudos’ to the organizers, Jennifer and I had a blast. Tionols are like going to confession...your sins are revealed for all to hear. You realize just how sloppy your piping is when you’re on the spot and you can't pull off the simple triplet in front of all eyes. This is good though ...it focuses the individual on getting the technique correctly in play. I found the teaching to be excellent. Pleasantly surprised by the depth and quality of playing by Bill Ochs who shared a bunch of choice nuggets and wisely added "none of this stuff matters unless you have the lilt." He Louise Mulcahy taught a kickass reel with choice ornamentation and then played few tunes on her Wolff C set and Jonathan's Koehler Quinn C. It was a privilege to hear these pipes played so well. Kevin Rowsome was the icing on the cake and just when you think you seen or know every ornament there’s a new way or technique or way playing that would never have otherwise occurred to you.
Sat night concert was fantastic as well Jerry O'Sullivan was on top of his game.... during a reel his bass regulator popped off and he it was as if he immediately picked a harmonizing note on the chanter while putting the reg back in place and didn’t miss a beet coming back into the reel. I
Great stuff...See you all next year! :D
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

Mypipes wrote:Jerry O'Sullivan was on top of his game.... during a reel his bass regulator popped off and he it was as if he immediately picked a harmonizing note on the chanter while putting the reg back in place and didn’t miss a beet coming back into the reel.
That was the most memorable event of the entire tionol for me! What a professional! It was almost like he meant to do that.

Hey, it was great meeting you guys as well. See you again next year.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

It's no wonder it fell off -- he was practically jackhammering his regulators. Not the most gentle piper. In contrast, when Debbie Quigley played, you could barely see her fingers move.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

To let you all into a secret: Debbie's fingers really NEVER MOVE AT ALL. She's spent years developing a ventriloquism trick whereby she sings the tunes THROUGH HER NOSE. Remember that trip she took to Tuvalu, ostensibly as an ambassador of Irish piping? That was for the sole purpose of learning multiphonic overtone singing, so she could add regulator chords while "playing."
Don't tell her I told you.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

:lol:
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

She's great. She does alot of syncopated popping which I love.

I picked up Louise's CD and I've had track 9 - The Whistler at the Wake/ The Humours of Glynn on constant repeat in my car. Good stuff
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

common people where are the pics?
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
fgibbons
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

T-shirts for Northeast Tionol

Post by fgibbons »

Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa wrote:You should send an email to info@eastcoastpipers.com and ask if they have any shirts left to sell. I would expect that this will get you what you need if you don't otherwise hear from someone. Good luck.

Neil
Nice to read such complimentary comments here. If anyone would like to order a T-shirt, just send a message to info@eastcoastpipers.com. They sold better than we anticipated, so we're taking back orders. Prices are $20 for short, $28 for long-sleeved shirts. All are black, 100% cotton. Available in women's and men's, sizes M/L/XL/2XL.

Not sure when we'll be closing the books on this one, but if you're interested, better get your order in sooner than later.

-Frank
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Any additional money needed for shipping etc.?
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

NE Tional

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Molly Hester posted a review of the NE Tional on Patrick's Obsession website, as well as a link to some photos on her facebook page.

http://www.uilleannobsession.com/diary_ ... l#ect_2007

http://harvard.facebook.com/album.php?a ... c&id=11238

Neil