Holiday Movie-Going

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

djm wrote:
emmline wrote:Yes, it is a documentary, not a diversion.
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I did not expect this to be an entertainment. I simply found the information to be shallow and out-of-date. That is why I suggested the Discovery Channel. Also, check out Nova on the PBS stations. You will get a more thorough and more current presentation of facts.

I have nothing against Gore personally (except that he lost). As for the topic, you would have had to be living in a cave for the last ten years not to be aware of what is going on to our weather or in the media (and the bogus controversies raised by the oil conglomerates' media spin doctors).

djm
I just finished watching the movie via Netflix. I wish it had stayed within just a few pertinent levels. Instead, I saw Al Gore: having his son hit by a car, having his sister die of cancer, having him button up his coat several times, trundle through the airport with his carry-on several times, point out where he wrecked the family car and so on. I saw him lose in Florida, by that suspicious darn vote, and there was even smilin' Chimpy, gettin' sworn in and all.

I felt betrayed, frankly. He drew me (and everyone else) into the tent to see the attraction (the info about climate change). The ticket price was enduring his smarmy personality, supercilious face and unctuous implications. At times, I felt like I was looking directly at the blueblood distressed nobility that came to Virginia to begin with and started the tobacco legacy, and here was their descendant princeling (sorry, I have done a lot of genealogy in my life and know a bit about our various social strains, and Al Gore is a prime example as described). Hey, you can't get much more American than that, especially considering our Virginian presidents and Founders. Al Gore has always struck me as a nearly worthless blueblood, having accomplished little but carried the genetic imperative to "lead" or more properly, be in charge of everybody else. He is somewhat successfully redeeming his aristocratic existence, just like Prince Charles has across the Pond with his environmentalism and such.

But I also felt a bit of the circus barker, just brought and massaged very much into the 21st century. Production values were high, nice soundtrack, tho the Melissa Etheridge tune at the end was a bit stressful to hear.

And there is one big, whoppin' stinkin' mis-representation that really angered me. He brought out the stock footage of Katrina victims, in the context as though Katrina was the super-storm of all storms because of global warming (his theory being that Katrina was worse because it picked up more force over the newly-warmed Gulf). But anybody with more than a pothead's memory realizes that the tragedy of Katrina in New Orleans wasn't the power of the storm itself (we've had worse landfalls, I think), but the failure of American leadership to keep the levees up-to-date, and deal with the reality of the bigger Mississippi River drainage issue. And I couldn't help wonder about what role the Clinton-Gore admin had especially in the levee issue. I wish he hadn't used Katrina victims in that way. Fortunately, he couldn't work the tsunami in...

The underlying message of the movie is to vote for Al Gore and at-times I began wondering if he was the anti-Christ or sumthin, because the two messages (the other being to save the planet) were so deftly woven, just as Lucifer would want (light=knowledge). Everytime I started to really feel strong about the global warming issue, it cut to Al and his personal journey. Yuck. If I didn't have a pre-existing condition regarding Gore, I might have felt a further sense of en-light-enment.

That said, the movie did make me want to figure out how I can continue beyond what I already do to reduce CO2. So it was somewhat effective. I liked that part, really.

If you watch it, maybe don't do it alone. Then mebbe group hypnosis will kick in and you'll think it's great. Or, just don't watch it with the Weekender.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

We saw a movie called Sweet Land last night and I really enjoyed it. There were a couple of times when I didn't quite understand what was happening (I think most people would have) and so I was a bit confused at times but I was not confused by the end of the movie. It is about a German woman who goes to Minnesota as a mail-order bride after WW1 and the man she is going to marry and the community, which is very anti-German. There were some things to think about afterward and I found that the thing that hit me hardest was the love and forgiveness shown by the husband-to-be toward a friend of his who had not stood by him as he might have expected.

Here is a link to an article about the director, Ali Selim:
http://www.startribune.com/1553/story/903200.html

Olaf Torvik in one of the greatest scenes. Inge is in the background.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cynth, that sounds like a movie I'd like to see. I meant to go see Night at the Museum today, but husband's watching football and can't be bothered, daughter that lives near doesn't want to go, and I decided I am draggin' in my tracks so stayed home for a very, very rare day of doing nothing. I ended up watching Inherit the Wind and then 12 Angry Men on TV. I'd forgotten how good those movies are.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

cowtime wrote: I ended up watching Inherit the Wind and then 12 Angry Men on TV. I'd forgotten how good those movies are.
They just don't make them like that any more.

Two of the greatest fillums ever made..

and Spencer Tracy..what can ye say.

What a dude he was.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

dubhlinn wrote:
cowtime wrote: I ended up watching Inherit the Wind and then 12 Angry Men on TV. I'd forgotten how good those movies are.
They just don't make them like that any more.

Two of the greatest fillums ever made..

and Spencer Tracy..what can ye say.

What a dude he was.

Slan,
D. :)
Yeah, actually I lucked out getting to see them again, so even though I did not get to go out to the movies(a one hour drive each way so that was not something I looked forward to) the day was not wasted. Spencer Tracy is one of those that you can always count on. :)
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

On DVD:

A Scanner Darkly - A bit quirky, and I don't know why they bothered rotoscoping the whole thing, but interesting all the way through. Written by Phillip K. Dick in his most drug-induced paranoia period.

Edmond - I really like William Macy, but this film is just plain stupid, so stupid that I had to laugh even when it was trying to be its most serious. To be avoided.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron wrote:
jrc wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Don't go out to the flicks, much, but I'm thinking Apocalypto. I hate the title, which sucks like a black hole, and it's a Mel Gibson oeuvre (a grab-bag of mixed feelings for me right there), but it's on a subject ever close to my heart: the Maya. I'd like to see how he treats it. Might actually be good.
You know, I'd like to see that too, but I'll wait for the DVD I think.
Heard any accounts or read any reviews of it yet?
Just saw it. I need to think about how to present a review, because if I say what I really think off the cuff, I'll probably wind up breaking the Pepsi Rule.

Good points: the cinematography was excellent, and Gibson gets points for the dialogue being in a Maya language. The costuming of the city nobility was pretty good with some notable exceptions. The uber-antagonist's son died in a classic Maya art pose complete with foreshortening. I guess you have to give a nod to the real thing sometimes.

All in all it was a repeat of the familiar Gibson Vehicle: an idyllic life gets intruded on by rapacious military types, horrors are inflicted upon the good guys while the upper crust play puppeteer to the masses, our hero escapes and just survives a series of "What Next?" trials that ought to kill anyone else, he goes to ground, is recaptured/wounded and dies to be reunited with his beloved. Or if he doesn't die, then he escapes/survives to kill the bad guys and be reunited with his beloved; but their world is going to hell anyway, so they slip away to make a new start. And all wrapped up in a history that never was: think "Braveheart". I have to object to the too-easy mixing of Mayan and Aztec ideas in the film, but as Dub would say, "Nice work if you can get it".

Think "Precolumbian Mesoamerica RenFest" and you've pretty much got the idea.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Sounds like it would be great for someone with a feather fetish. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:Sounds like it would be great for someone with a feather fetish. :wink:

djm
You'd think so, but there isn't so much of that; only atop the (rather small) sacrificial pyramid - and a flash or two elsewhere - do you see two or three of the elaborate feathered getups that we associate with idealised Mayan sumptuary expression. More attention was paid to hairstyles, which I can go with, and once you get to the City, there are some things going on with hair that are an attempt to recreate some of the more ornate stuff from carvings and paintings. Fair enough. But I don't recall ever having seen the well-to-do city women's hairstyles at all in the Mayan art I've seen. Oh, well. There was a lot of mob hysteria-induced boogieing, too. Must've been something in the water.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I introduced my wife to "The Thin Man" earlier this week and then "Dragonslayer". I was sorry to see Caitlin Clarke died of cancer a few years ago, I always liked her in that, it may explain why I go to RenFairs.

We went to see "Children of Men" this weekend and loved it. I was amazed by the long shots used by the director. It was also nice to have the hero be a true everyman who doesn't pick up a gun first chance and become an expert marksmen who can shot a quarter out of the air while swinging on a rope.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

beowulf573 wrote: We went to see "Children of Men" this weekend and loved it. I was amazed by the long shots used by the director. It was also nice to have the hero be a true everyman who doesn't pick up a gun first chance and become an expert marksmen who can shot a quarter out of the air while swinging on a rope.
He's one fantastic director, I think.

That movie gave me a lot to think about.

Sorry, nano, you didn't care much for Apocalypto, it seems. I thought it was just great! But you are right, all Mr Gibson's movies do seem a bit familiar after awhile. I thought the whole city thing was too good!!!!!

I must be very easily entertained. 8)

M
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I watched "Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf" the other night for the first time... wow... really disturbing... no wonder it was such a controversial thing at the time... foul language, brazen sexuality, mention of orgies (though I don't think it meant then what it means now... although...) and guns and the brink of violence... and crazy, crazy, drunken folk,... yeeesh... can't say i either understood or enjoyed it, but it was powerful.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

anniemcu wrote:I watched "Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf" the other night for the first time... wow... really disturbing... no wonder it was such a controversial thing at the time... foul language, brazen sexuality, mention of orgies (though I don't think it meant then what it means now... although...) and guns and the brink of violence... and crazy, crazy, drunken folk,... yeeesh... can't say i either understood or enjoyed it, but it was powerful.
"You are cordially invited to George and Martha's for an evening of fun and games."

Ahhh, you've just discovered my number one, favorite movie of all time! I can only imagine what Albee's play was like.

quotes from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? :

"I swear to GOD George, if you even EXISTED I'd divorce you."

" [Martha has changed into an embarrassingly tight and revealing outfit]
George: Why Martha! Your Sunday chapel dress! "

My favorite part is George throwing the snapdragons saying"Snap, snap...."

Hmm, I need to watch that again, it's been a while....
Last edited by cowtime on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
John Foster West
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:Think "Precolumbian Mesoamerica RenFest" and you've pretty much got the idea.
This is exactly what I thought of when I saw the commercials.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Sorry, nano, you didn't care much for Apocalypto, it seems. I thought it was just great! But you are right, all Mr Gibson's movies do seem a bit familiar after awhile. I thought the whole city thing was too good!!!!!

I must be very easily entertained. 8)

M
Hey, it was entertaining, all right. Gibson does that well. Nothing wrong with taking the movie for those merits; there were cuts that had me jumping out of my seat, and the Aztec-style (grrrr) human sacrifices were really gross. And I mean that in a good way, as a guy. :wink:

I'll just shut up. Y'all know what I think.