The one and only

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I'm a monogamous type of guy, but I do limit that designation to my marriage, and my wife, and have been playing the field of flutes that I've been able to convince to come home with me.

Recently, I've pretty much confirmed that as flute types go, I seem to prefer the open toned Pratten based instruments I've come across. Though I do have to admit to playing only a couple of Rudall based flutes so far, so I may not have met my match there.

I've just acquired two used flutes that I think will be with me for a while now, a Blackwood Pratten by Jon C., and a Blackwood, no slide, Casey Burns Standard. These two are different in tone, but essentially the same deep, dark, and open sound that I like very much in flutes. I guess I've been drifting that way for a while, but these have reinforced my feelings for the type. And, I am very impressed with both flutes, to state it mildly.

I also have a Burns Folk Flute (in Mopane) and a Burns Rudall in Blackwood that are excellent flutes, and similar in tonal characteristics in general, but distinctive still in their voices. These two, will probably go up for sale shortly, I feel, as I narrow down my preferences. My Tipple PVC flute is now my go to flute for a quickie, since recently trading my Seery.

Although, I would love to try a Burns Boxwood most, and a Murray or a John Gallagher, just to see how I relate to them, sometime.

So, it seems that I am coming closer to a type of flute that pleases me most, along with a strong preference for Blackwood (haven't tried Boxwood) so far. So, monogamous is not out of the question, but for now, I can't say I want to go there yet.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Nanohedron wrote:
flutefry wrote:So I am essentially monogamous, but to the untrained eye, there are a lot of flutes hanging around, and my tongue continues to hang out for others. Hmm.
Hello. My name is Nanohedron, and I'm a flute whore. :wink:

once a flute whore, always a flute whore, there's no cure.
Il Friscaletto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Il Friscaletto »

I have one flute. A Seery keyless delrin, though I think there may be a Skip Healy in my near future, and I intend to hang on to the Seery.

:)
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Rama said:
actually bryan does make keyed flutes, absolutely beautiful keyed flutes. just finished one up a few months ago. a six key in e-flat.
Thanks for the info Rama. I think in technical terms that's called being an "enabler". I can hear the conversation with my wife now "Well, its all Rama's fault....."

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

rama wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
flutefry wrote:So I am essentially monogamous, but to the untrained eye, there are a lot of flutes hanging around, and my tongue continues to hang out for others. Hmm.
Hello. My name is Nanohedron, and I'm a flute whore. :wink:

once a flute whore, always a flute whore, there's no cure.
All too true. I only have one, now, but still I lust after every next one that walks by. I'm a recovering flute whore.

Um...my flute has 2 bodies: Eb and D. Am I conning myself?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote: All too true. I only have one, now, but still I lust after every next one that walks by.
What was that wonderful Jimmy Carter quote? Something like "I have sinned in my heart" ??
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: All too true. I only have one, now, but still I lust after every next one that walks by.
What was that wonderful Jimmy Carter quote? Something like "I have sinned in my heart" ??
Somehow "I have acquired flutes in my heart" doesn't have quite the same impact, does it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

chas wrote:

No, actually Jimmy "lusted" in his heart. I'll break political taboo and admit that he's a hero of mine. He'd surely understand our feelings for flutes! :)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

flutefry wrote:....My wife said hopefully yesterday that "now you have a flute wardrobe, you won't need to get any more...."

Hugh
Well, there's an easy solution to that, Hugh. Buy a nice, small tupperware container to house your flutes, give the wardrobe to your wife for her clothes, and let nature take its course! :wink:
~~~~
Barry
Denny

Post by Denny »

“Of all the Seven Deadly Sins, lust is definitely the pick of the litter”
-Tom Robbins-
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

'Ho,' it's flute ho. Let's get this right, shall we?
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Which is louder? A flute whore or a flute ho?

sorry, couldn't resist in spite of the risk of being moderated
chas

Post by chas »

crookedtune wrote:
chas wrote:

No, actually Jimmy "lusted" in his heart. I'll break political taboo and admit that he's a hero of mine. He'd surely understand our feelings for flutes! :)
That fits Nano's remark even better!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Which is louder? A flute whore or a flute ho?

sorry, couldn't resist in spite of the risk of being moderated
Oooooooh. He italicised.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

jim stone wrote:'Ho,' it's flute ho. Let's get this right, shall we?
awright ...ho it is

but yo, i ain't no ho, 'cause i be pimpin' dat.