Mini Disc Recorders?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-10-23 09:22, steve wrote:
Sharps also let you change record levels on the fly while most Sonys make you stop recording and go through a menu system to change the level.
I've heard this too. I've never needed to change the recording level during a session, though, as long as I pay attention to the settings when I am beginning.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Does anyone own the Sharp MDMT180? Any views on it?

I am just trying to do some research after Chris recommended getting a sharp rather than the Sony 707 that everyone seems to be picking up these days.

Thanks,
/Bloomfield
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Trust me folks, the Sony recorders are a real pain in the arse unless you really enjoy clipping and motor noise in all your session recordings. I wish had mentioned this to me before I bought my otherwise extremely nice Sony 909 model.
MacEachain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Chris,
have you changed from the DS -70P Mic? if so what mic are you using? The MS 907 is recommended to avoid motor noise pick-up. A cheaper option is to use an extension cable with the DS-70P. I think this has already been suggested.

Cheers, Mac
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Thanks Mac.... I've tried a number of different mics. Currently I use a nice, self-powered Sony mic that plugs in with a cord (I don't have the model number available). I put the mic a couple feet away from the recorder and don't tend to get noise that way. However, with my old Sharp recorded I could plug a little T mic right into the side and it sounded great, picked up next to no motor noise and was much more convenient. I don't like carrying a larger microphone and a long chord to sessions, nor do I like setting up the mic in the middle of the table at a session. It's distracting and intrusive for everyone involved.
Best,
Chris
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Also, only having two recording level settings (and not being able to change them on the fly), makes Sonys almost useless for recording loud sessions, in my opinion.
Chris
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Chris,
You're right about the inconvenience of using a corded mike. It would be much easier to have the mic and recorder as one unit. I'd have got the direct plug-in mic myself as it made a very compact unit but fortunately the subject came up on the forum before I got my MD.

Cheers, Mac
Underhill

Post by Underhill »

I have a Sharp MT15, which I have dropped twice (heart stopped both times!) and it has survived. I use my MD for practicing harp, whistle, son's violin, etc. I am not looking for "incredible quality" in my recording, so I used a homemade mic from this site:

http://www.minidisc.org/jim_coon/

I got my MD when the prices were higher, and bought it from a high-priced place besides, (I found out after-the-fact) so I did not have any extra $ for a mic.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I have also been looking at minidiscs for my son's classical guitar lessons and practice an also for recording sessions. I won't even bother looking at the sonys. Here are the two Sharps I have been considering.

For a cheap option..that has all the recording functionality

Sharp MDMT180 ..if I decide to go cheap
http://www.dealtime.com/dt-app/SE/KW-SH ... 72/GS.html

Sharp MD-MT200 ..if I decide to go a little more spendy
http://www.minidisco.com/minispecs/sharpmdmt200i.html

And the Sony mic..seems like a decent price
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk ... nyecmms907

I've read the manuals for both and the only drawback I see on the Sharp MDMT180 is that it only records extended play in mono. Anyone know of any other problems?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-12-10 09:07 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Sony mics have lower responsiveness than many mics. They are custom made to suit the low responsiveness of the Sony minidisc recorders. I'm not making this up, it's posted on the minidisco.com website, which is very, very reputable. You're fine using a Sony mic on a Sony but on a Sharp you'd be better off with something like a SoundProfessionals T mic.
Best,
Chris
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I don't know anything about those Sharps Craig but for what it's worth, I have that mike, and it's great, and that's the price I've normally seen for it.
elliott

Post by elliott »

You CAN use an extension cord. Try a long one for better mic placement. The mic itself is not alterable.

brownja: No current portable has digital out. The Sony 940 home deck does, but it's $350 (and worth it, IMHO).

New, decently-priced MDs available in the U.S which have mic inputs:
SHARP MD-MT 2001 - $200
SONY MZ-N707 - $200
SHARP MD-MT 770 - $250 (a bit sturdier)
Prices as per Minidisco.com. Diligent searching should get you even better prices, but beware shipping costs!

Small correction:
mono recording is 2x regular, not 4x.
Which brings up a point: Rather than spend $80 for a stereo mic, I got Radio Shack's $25 omni electret mic. While I can see the pleasure in it, I've not seen the NEED to record sessions in stereo. I get better sound quality than LP2 and the same 2.5 hours recording time. Saved $50, too!

One caution on the Sharp MD-MT 15 (which I own and love): It's several years old and does not have LP2 or LP4. It's easy to use and sounds better than any Sony I have. And the output is 10mw x2, not 5mw like Sony, Panasonic and Aiwa. {In English: It sounds better going into a computer or a cassette deck.}
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

This site has some info on trouble shooting problems with mic's and cabels and some hints on other issues.
http://www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm#Maintain