tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StewySmoot »

I am a Chief Engineer based in Washington for a media company. I primarily work with digital technology over satellite. And yes, I am an introvert.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm an online community forum host. It's a rather neat job, enabling me to live anywhere in the world there's a net connection. Now if only I had the 'James Bond' visas to go with that .... mmmmm - bliss.
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

Working nite shift in a water plant all my life, or least the last 32 years of it. 28 years now with one company.Lousy pay but the perfect job for a studious introverted type B personality. Hey Blackhawk, how come there's never been a tv adventure series about the wild life of a waterplant operator?
My real life is in two parts.From age 28 to 42 I was a peasant farmer - no comercial crops just a full acre of garden and most common livestock except ducks and sheep.Widowed at 42. Single for nine years.Studied electronics ,got a ham license got a commercial radiotelophone license, met some insanely intelligent guys who said bacteria, virus and protozoa could be killed by pulsating magnetic fields and found by study and experimentation they may be right.Now the second part--Married to a smart funny lady with a PhD in education who likes to listen to me practice whistle and flute and encourages WHOA and FLOA. Life is calm, the kids are grown ,self supporting and producing grandchildren to go fishing with.
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

BmacD wrote:Working nite shift in a water plant all my life, or least the last 32 years of it. 28 years now with one company.Lousy pay but the perfect job for a studious introverted type B personality. Hey Blackhawk, how come there's never been a tv adventure series about the wild life of a waterplant operator?
Ain't it the truth? :D I guess it'd just be too much glamor for the big screen. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
clarinetnut

Post by clarinetnut »

Well, right now, I'm not technically doing anything for a living. I am a music performance major (studying clarinet, if you couldn't guess :wink: ), so I'm paying, not being paid.

BUT.....once I finish college (2 more years, then grad school), I want to play for a symphony and/or teach at a university. And yes, I've heard the "you can't make any money doing that" speech about a million times. I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

Cheers!
Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self- consciousness.
Aaron Copland
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

tubafor wrote:I'm in radio production for His Kids Radio, a full-time national radio ministry for kids from Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids, MI. And, I have the privilege of being an air host (as "Captain Cal"), as well as doing a weekly syndicated music appreciation program for kids called "Captain Cal's Classical Corner." (take a look at http://www.kidsradio.org to hear a sample of the program)

Cal

Capt Cal!!!! Wow a real Celebrity. I listened to Captain Cal once while in GR. I don't know if any Kalamazoo stations play it. WMUK? Maybe Thurlowe knows.

I have a couple friends who attend Cornerstone U.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

OH. The profession?

As a teenager I worked on a volunteer ambulance company.
I was a Hospital Corpsman in the US Navy for six years. Also an Ophthalmology technician for awhile and an optician.
Then went back to school for history major. Changed majors to computer science. Started programming about 16 years ago.

I've been with very large pharmaceutical company as system administrator for a UNIX and Win2000 based document management system for about 8 years. I'm exceptionally good at it I might add.
I will not be working here much longer however because this large company has decided to clean house in the Kalamazoo area and many many many good people are losing their jobs.

Frankly I'm getting sick of working with computers. This may be an opportunity to do something else.

What I would really like to do is teach history but I am not sure how to go about it. Not high school, college level. Say a junior college.

Either that or go back into emergency medicine as a paramedic. It doesn't pay worth a crap and the hours stink but at least it's helping people in a very direct way.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

I am amazed and envious when I see there still are people who've had the same job for twenty years or more... Can't seem to be staying in one place for too long (sometimes my choice, sometimes not :D )...

Over a span of roughly 20 years I've been:
1-A teacher (ESL) in Manhattan
2- A record store manager in Brooklyn
3- A production manager for a jingle house in Manhattan

I am now working as sales operations manager for a technology company in New Jersey. It's definitely one of those that fall in the "it's a living" category... and I guess I'm looking again!
JohnMulgrew

tin whistler's day job

Post by JohnMulgrew »

Hi. Amazing thread. Anyway, right now I'm the operational risk guy for a global financial corp. If you have no idea what that is don't worry about it. My wife still doesn't either, she just says that I work at the bank. My music interests split between early music and folk. I am a avid recorder player (soprano, alto, tenor and just starting bass) who just got into whistling. I have played mt. dulcimer for a long time and about 18 months ago started attempting to play renaissance lute. My wife is a neurologist and awesome flute player (modern, baroque, renaissance and just recently irish). We have three daughters. Kristen plays violin/fiddle and mt. dulcimer. Kate plays cello and piano. Kelsey plays viola, piano, whistle and fife. Things are always moving rapidly and krazy but good.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi,
Boy, everyone has such interesting things to say.
I waited and waited and didn't want to write in; but oh, well....
I am a retired office worker and I play Penny Whistle. Thats it, but
it is GREAT to NOT be working and just playing the whistle!
Lolly
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't know...sounds like a good gig to me, Lolly!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I am a professional altar boy.
maribeth95

day job

Post by maribeth95 »

Right now I am working as a Physical Therapy Aide, but I will be graduating from PT Assistant school in December of this year. After I pass my National Board exam I will be considered a Physical Therapy Assistant "officially"...

(-: Maribeth
"Though she be but little, she is fierce."- William Shakespeare
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm a former advertising copy writer and editor happily turned full-time mom. I have a degree in English, and sometimes I even get to use it! (mostly by yelling " 'wherefore' does NOT mean 'where,' you moron, it means 'why'" at someone mangling Shakespeare on TV). I volunteer at my daughter's school as a yard duty supervisor, music teacher and Morris musician, sing in my church choir (between grumbles about the new Prayer Book) and, in my spare time (spare time?) like to wander around the Santa Cruz Mountains with a whistle in my pocket :) Oh yes...I'm also a compulsive over-reader and a whiz at Trivial Pursuit.

I share my life with my precocious 10-year-old daughter, my hubby of 18 years (the wild and wonderful Werepoodle), a 16-year-old miniature poodle, a young and energetic black cat, two rats and a goldfish.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

I'm a level designer at gas powered games, currently working on Dungeon Siege II. I also sell instruments on ebay and I'm lead vocalist and guitarist in my band which is actually finally starting to make money.