Sam Murray and Flute Deliveries?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Normski
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Sam Murray and Flute Deliveries?

Post by Normski »

Wow that is some experience!!

Surely "the great makers" on the opposite side of the Atlantic to you would not last too long in business if they made firewood instruments and stole money. Can you elaborate without risking libel.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Oh don't get him started, please... :moreevil:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I could make a nice warm fire with some of these flutes he speaks of...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's probably not in very good taste for another flutemaker to stoke this particular fire.
My brain hurts

libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

I thInk it is generally best to deal close to home because you have a chance to meet, talk to, and get to know the maker and I think it is only human nature that he or she will be likely to be more responsive to you that way. What is not normal is to write a customer who has sent you $500 to say your flute is done except for a mixup with the rings and then keep them hanging for almost 2 years. That is what has happened to me. If this is due to illness, Ii am sorry, but I am not apologizing for feeling kind of taken. That said, I would never suggest that no foreign makers are trustworthy. Terry McGee made me 2 flutes, was a pleasure to correspond with, and sent each earlier than his estimated delivery date. The first was a 5088 model in D that has been my favorite flute ever since I got it. The second is a C model that I do not play often, but that is because I am just not good enough to play it well. Anyway, I am sure many others have had successful "long distance relationships." But I still think it is more of a gamble.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Based in Sweden all my dealings with flute and uilleann pipe makers have been long distance by default. Over the years I've sent and received flutes, and parts of pipes to Chris Wilkes, Dave Williams R.I.P., and Martin Doyle and had no problems at all. I've purchased flutes from Cork, California, New Hampshire, a Wooff chanter from Australia, again no problems.

Sam Murray is the only maker who has been a severe disappointment. Sam refuses to return my keyless flute which I personally left in his workshop in July 2011. An attempt was made about 10 days ago by someone visiting Galway to obtain my flute and another person's flute, that was left for repair over a year ago, and Sam could not produce either of the flutes. Sam and Sean still maintain radio silence, no communication. As my flute's long gone I've nothing to lose now. 25 euros gets the Galway District Court Small Claims Registrars involved, Sam must be taken to task. He can't just take people's flutes and money unchallanged
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:
libraryman wrote:The lesson? It is generally best to deal close to home.
This is the greatest truth I have ever seen on here. I have had some bad experiences trying out flutes by the "great" makers across the pond. Some cases ended up in stolen money and others with firewood quality instruments. I'm sticking to makers over here. Between John Gallagher and the Olwells I have no reason to look elsewhere I just learned it the hard way.
I have to say that I find this a disgraceful comment. Whether you meant it or not your comment may leave the impression that Murray makes "firewood quality instruments", which is obviously not the case. Why not tell us who you claim makes these instruments?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I don't know which makers O Gaiteiro de Chicago is referring to that make "firewood quality instruments". Sam Murray makes good quality flutes as does Eamonn Cotter, Martin Doyle, Marcus Hernon, Hammy Hamilton, Chris Wilkes, Glenn Watson, Gilles Léhart, Stephane Morvan, Terry McGee, Michael Grinter
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I can vouch for the quality of Sam Murray's flutes. I had the chance to play a few recently at an Irish Music week and they're excellent instruments. The story Steampacket mentions, (if accurate) however is unacceptable conduct, even from a maker of his calibre. Getting one's flute back, especially when the owner just wants it back with no repairs made, should NOT take two years. I would be horrified to be separated from my flute for that long.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Should anybody still be reading this woeful thread, I am selling a beautiful Sam Murray 6-key boxwood flute with an ivory end-cap, in the key of D. The keys, the slide and the rings are silver. It is about two years old and it is like new. No warps, cracks, or chips. Comes in the case that Sam provides. Has a hard edge but retains the sweetness of aged boxwood. Also note that the blocks are in place to have the two bottom keys added. This is a terrific flute from a wonderful maker.

Postage within the EU would be €15. I will be coming to the US in two weeks. I could bring it over then and post it from within for about $25.

Contact me for more information. Thanks

ImageUploaded with
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

I've not had any experience with Mr. Murray; however, since the names of some top makers of flutes have been tossed about in this post, I would like to include my experience with one such maker- Casey Burns. Casey has been great to deal with, he makes excellent flutes, is honest and responsive. Plus, he does not have a protracted waiting period. He even makes a nice, inexpensive keyless FF that is most difficult to beat, in my estimation. BTW, I think it's refreshing to hear some frank discussion regarding individuals experiences with various makers, good or bad. Of course, accuracy, honesty and full disclosure are essential in the making of statements as it has a direct impact upon a makers reputation and livelyhood. All that having been said, I suppose that a maker who feels as though they have been misreprented or ill treated could set the record straight by posting a response, assuming that they can identify the person having made the offending statement. If that isn't possible, then perhaps a general disclaimer might be in order.
Cheers,
Don Morgan.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Julia Delaney wrote:Should anybody still be reading this woeful thread, I am selling a beautiful Sam Murray 6-key boxwood flute ....
I find this hawking of an instrument in rather bad taste given the context of this thread...
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Assuming you've been reading through the thread, and especially given the context, I think it is totally appropriate to sell a good Sam Murray flute without any issues.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

Yes, I have followed it and I still think in poor taste - clash of culture I guess. Just seems inappropriate given these peoples difficulties, to be trying to cash in on their problems?
Julia Delaney

Post by Julia Delaney »

I'm sorry you feel that way. My intent was not to profit from somebody's misfortune. Quite the contrary. I wanted to offer something that people might want, without their having to go through what might be a painful process. I doubt very much that people who feel they have been mistreated by Sam would want a flute that he made. Despite the issues, Sam is an esteemed maker and his flutes are in great demand.

There is a backstory to this flute and if you like I can email you the details.