Patrick Olwell's place

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
maki
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Patrick Olwell's place

Post by maki »

Bertrand wrote:Formidable!!!
Merci+++
Impatient too to see more!
Bertrand.
Hello and Bonjour!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I think that it is interesting to compare the work spaces of two world-class flutemakers, Patrick Olwell and Chris Wilkes. Some time ago there was a photo of Chris Wilkes's shop (I think that it was here on the flute forum), and, if I recall correctly, everything was perfectly in order and clean, as opposed to Patrick's work space, which judging from a quick video view appears to be just the opposite. There are always different ways of going about doing something, but what is most essential for world-class craftsmanship is that the craftsman/artist cares deeply about what he/she is doing. Of course, having the intelligence and skill are also helpful assets.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Well spotted, Doug.
Some years ago I saw a picture of Albert Cooper at his workbench. . .a total shambles, with tools and parts in a heap. Albert, Lord love him, had a fey gleam in his eye, and it was said he could thrust his hand into the pile and immediately withdraw the tool or part he needed.
And yet, this man could make astounding flutes.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I think that it is interesting to compare the work spaces of two world-class flutemakers, Patrick Olwell and Chris Wilkes. Some time ago there was a photo of Chris Wilkes's shop (I think that it was here on the flute forum), and, if I recall correctly, everything was perfectly in order and clean, as opposed to Patrick's work space, which judging from a quick video view appears to be just the opposite. There are always different ways of going about doing something, but what is most essential for world-class craftsmanship is that the craftsman/artist cares deeply about what he/she is doing. Of course, having the intelligence and skill are also helpful assets.
Yeah, two different worlds....
You can watch some pictures of Chris workhsop right here:
http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/Site/workshop2.html

Regards,
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

One of the bittersweet aspects of this documentary is that I'm capturing the workshop in the bank at the end of it's run...Patrick and Aaron are building a new shop and hope to be moved in sometime in the next year or so. If you want to see the shop in its original state, make sure and visit soon! We did get lots of footage of Patrick and Aaron playing together, and some great footage of a session the last night we were in town. All good stuff going into the film. Thanks for the positive comments, it's a huge project and all the support really helps...Jem
eilam

Post by eilam »

we'd be happy with the 8 hour un edited version ;)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah seriously, I'm with Eilam, how about two versions: One for the masses and an extended "Fluters Cut"? :wink:

Loren
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Loren wrote:Yeah seriously, I'm with Eilam, how about two versions: One for the masses and an extended "Fluters Cut"? :wink:

Loren
Fluter's cut! That's awesome. An extended Peter Jackson style DVD. I'll buy one!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, don't clip too much, put it out. I'll gladly buy a 2 DVD or 4 DVD box when you're ready. This stuff is interesting. Creative people have different ways of working which is cool. Both Wilkes and Olwell are making top quality instruments, so who cares what their workshops look like, other than that it's interesting to see where the instruments are created. Read Robert M. Pirsig's "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" if you haven't already.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Looks great, guys. Can't wait to see the finished product.
jemmoore

Post by jemmoore »

Hey, that's a great idea...I like the idea of two cuts. I just put up two cuts of an old-time fiddle tune with the Olwell boys (link below, but warning, no flutes included!) so why not a "Fluter's cut" of the doc? See that's what forums like this are great for, out-of-the-box suggestions...

https://vimeo.com/41330507
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

jemmoore wrote:Hey, that's a great idea...I like the idea of two cuts. I just put up two cuts of an old-time fiddle tune with the Olwell boys (link below, but warning, no flutes included!) so why not a "Fluter's cut" of the doc? See that's what forums like this are great for, out-of-the-box suggestions...

Jeez, I want to hang out with the Olwells, too. Great stuff.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Pure class. Thanks for sharing.
jemmoore wrote:Hey, that's a great idea...I like the idea of two cuts. I just put up two cuts of an old-time fiddle tune with the Olwell boys (link below, but warning, no flutes included!) so why not a "Fluter's cut" of the doc? See that's what forums like this are great for, out-of-the-box suggestions...

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Indeed, wonderful stuff, thanks for sharing Jem.
niallt

Post by niallt »

Greetings from France and congrats on some great footage.

I have an Olwell flute and am on the list for another, ready in about 3 years I think (now I know why the list is 6 years). Spoke to Pat and Aaron a couple of times and always wondered what their setup was like - this makes it all the more real.

Can't wait for the final cut to be ready. Keep us posted with more clips if possible please. You planning to release this on DVD? The chances of me seeing this on broadcast TV in France are slim, unfortunately.