Paul Busman and Thin weasel whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I think some of the 'recorder' issue of the Susato's is the mouthfeel of the chunky mouthpiece. For me they sound too loud. I haven't had a chance to check my perceptions against my newly achieved and MUCH beloved Rose (my current lesson whistle!) but next time I have the chance to borrow a Susato, I'll do that, and with the decibel-meter thingy.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Well, I'm sorry, but I do think Susatos sound like recorders. I have a few (let's see: an VSB E, VSB D, SB D, A & G) and I used to play them quite a bit. It's no problem to get used to them and I can even learn to not put my sixth finger down on the high notes (but I do not like it). I am playing them less and less now, but that is a different story.

If I compare the sounds of a Gen, a Feadog, a Waltons, a Sweettone, a Susato, an Overton, and a Sindt (I would add Copeland, Burke, WW, Silkstone and other hi-enders I don't own but have played), I'd say that the sound of the Susato stands out among them. The other two that are very characteristic are the Sweetone and the Overton, but both are very different from the Susato. And yes, the Susato reminds me of recorders: It is something about the timbre, the graininess of the sound that doesn't have to do with smooth vs breathy.

Is that a bad thing? I don't know. The recordery sound is not why I don't play Susatos much anymore. And anyway, most of the recorder bashing here on c&f is tongue-in-cheek anyway, and I don't understand why the renaissance recorder types get knots in their codpieces over it. :smile:
/Bloomfield
Mr.Nate
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

I am going to start a new whistle buisiness grinding down Susato mouthpieces so they'll be more comfortable to play. Sorry, can't do much about the way they sound!
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hi Paul!!

Can’t wait to hear my tulipwood!!!

:grin:

RPI brat
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Or mine, Paul, even if it is being a
<Font color="pink"><b>P</b><font color="black">ain <font color="pink"><b>I</b><font color="black">n the <font color="pink"<b>N</b><font color="black"</b>ec<font color="pink"><b>K</b><font color="black">