Full Rudall (on ebay)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Full Rudall (on ebay)

Post by Steampacket »

Do "high pitch" Rudalls have any practical use as regards Irish traditional music? I'm thinking in a session situation, or being played together with more or less fixed tuned instruments such as concertinas, boxes, uilleann pipes in D. Is it possible to blow certain notes into tune with A at 440, or is it too much bother.

I suppose they are nice enough to own as objects of fine craftsmanship, and they have a historic and investment value of course for collectors, and for people who use them as period instruments in other genres.

I can see a high pitched Rudall would work as a solo instrument, or for playing at home, or together with a fiddle or another high pitched Rudall and of course string accompaniement in a group setting.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MarkP »

Well, as everyone and their dog is apparently now 'watching' #6974, I guess it will go out of most of our price brackets and I might as well share what I know from the seller and save him a few emails, as he hasn't published the following part of the answer....

"The flute appears to have the same stamps through all sections i.e rudall carte & co. london with a crown one section has their address as well. I did notice the difference in colour but put this down to rosewood being very variable. also the photos seem to have amplified this the lighter sections catching the light."

As for the pitch/tuning or the German silver...who's to say?

PS. for those breaking their Ebay contracts by offering cash to buy offline (and you know who you are gentlemen :wink:), I'm advised it will definitely go to the hammer, so I guess it will go high and we'll all be left goggling as usual :boggle:

Happy bidding
Mark
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MarkP wrote:PS. for those breaking their Ebay contracts by offering cash to buy offline (and you know who you are gentlemen ), I'm advised it will definitely go to the hammer, so I guess it will go high and we'll all be left goggling as usual
Maybe, Mark. But I get the impression with these e-Bay auctions, that, when the item is poorly described and with insufficient detail, as here, it often seems not to reach what I'd expect.

The keys look silver to me, but I bet the pitch is high, and there's no way of knowing unless a decent flute player has a go on it.

IOW, the more uncertainty left in the auction, the lower proportion of true value will be realised. Stanza raisin.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

you're the nearest, fancy a drive to Swansea and let us know how it plays? :wink:
Mark
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Looks like silver keys to me too. Pulling out the slide to 1" shouldn't be a problem in playability. Sometimes the flute will develop a "burble" on the lower notes, do to the perturbation in the barrel by the full extentionof the slide.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'm very sure the that keys are real silver, not nickel. You would expect to see greenish spots of oxidation, quite likely in the key slots and not so much on the keys themselves, which comes from the copper part of nickel silver. The rest just gets dull, like brass, just "silver". Real silver tarnishes everywere and builds up a grey-black layer of silver oxide, which is what we see on the photos. I have seen a few photos of #6xxx Rudalls recently and all flutes with claw were sterling, without claw nickel silver.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ok, said my photo-measuring was unreliable...
Vendor of #7103 gives C#-Eb as 248mm, which is better news for potential bidders, though still leaves some risk that it will be happiest rather sharp of 440. Body scaling may be fairly ok, but head will still be on the short side. Pending response from Abertawe on t'other one....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

jemtheflute wrote:Ok, said my photo-measuring was unreliable...
Vendor of #7103 gives C#-Eb as 248mm, which is better news for potential bidders, though still leaves some risk that it will be happiest rather sharp of 440. Body scaling may be fairly ok, but head will still be on the short side. Pending response from Abertawe on t'other one....
Ya, the #7000 flutes have no flat foot, but the head to C# hole is a little short.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MarkP wrote:you're the nearest, fancy a drive to Swansea and let us know how it plays? :wink:
If you meant me, I might have taken you up ... except that I can't drive at the moment, and unlikely to be able to do so before Christmas. Bloody frustrating it is.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

#6974 vendor says sounding length 563mm, C sharp to E flat 247mm. Near as dammit the same as #7103. Also fairly sure keys are sterling.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Regarding the keys: sterling, or German silver? It can "look" like silver but be German silver. Presumably you've all seen this on Terry's website (a "Very late Rudall Carte, no 7120") http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/7120.htm
Also, I remeber this seller sold, on Ebay, a "Rudall (Rose?) Carte, 100 Bond St London" two years ago, with German silver keys, for over 3000 pounds I believe!
Thalatta
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Indeed, Shane, though the current two appear to have somewhat longer scaling than #7120.
As for previous sales, we've discussed enough recently the vagaries of the market! We shall see.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

and of course the man know how to give an intresting price even with just half flute!
and the half R&R is gone as I said....
intresting piece, I had a brief tought on it too...
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Just one bid on the Olwell half-Rudall and it went for 918.83 sterling (1450 USD) - Cheap for such an interesting piece in such pristine condition and with the original box. I wonder what the bottom half and keys would cost, 1500 sterling? If so then a very nice virtually unplayed 8 key for 2500!!!
If the Olwells don't have time then I'd ask if Chris Wilkes would consider making a bottom end if when he has time

I wonder why the Olwells never made up the bottom half under all those years they had the flute, prehaps too much work/orders to be completed and they also need leisure time, I can understand that. Well good luck with the new workshop :)
Thalatta

Post by Thalatta »

Wow, the Rudall Carte didn't sell. I was watching it till the last second (I have SOME freetime), but no bids. Interesting. Maybe someone made an offer behind the scenes, or there's a problem with it?
Thalatta