The Beautiful Game

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: The Beautiful Game

Post by dfernandez77 »

s1m0n wrote:
dwest wrote:Watching cricket is about as fun and exciting as watching a two-toed sloth digest a meal. If I had three weeks to waste I'd rather do thing else.
Baseball is the same.
Indeed, just that the painful boredom takes less time to achieve. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

TC wrote:Okay, original topic.
In international play, I must admit that I root for the home team USA, even though I know better.
Credit the Brazilians with an exciting style refining "The Beautiful Game".
Sadly, they may deserve credit for one of the worst developments: "The Dive".
Oh you want to bring internationals into this as well?

Few things can be more depressing than being a supporter of the Scotland football team. We've made snatching defeat from the jaws of victory a national past-time.

Can we please stop mentioning bloody cricket in a football thread! Bad enough I have to see that stupid game all over the news at the moment.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

chrisoff wrote:Can we please stop mentioning bloody cricket in a football thread! Bad enough I have to see that stupid game all over the news at the moment.
You're just jealous because in Aberdeen it's so windy that the bails would drop off and so cold that your b*lls would drop off. :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

SteveShaw wrote: You're just jealous because in Aberdeen it's so windy that the bails would drop off and so cold that your b*lls would drop off. :D
Actually a large number of Scotland's international cricket matches seem to take place in Aberdeen. Always seems to be loads of the buggers ruining walks through local parks in the summer as well.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

SteveShaw wrote:The hooliganism you're referring to has long been confined to the dustbin of history. Stadiums are far more civilised places now than the cattle-pens we were subjected to in our youth. The Hillsborough disaster saw to that. Considering the vast numbers who pack out football grounds every week, there is very little trouble these days, but there remains the robust and electric partisan atmosphere to which you allude. Of course, there will always be the odd idiot or two, and I'm sure this post will have you scurrying through newspaper websites for examples, as well as clumsy and neurotic inner-city police forces that can't distinguish good-humoured larking about by the vast majority from real trouble caused by the tiniest minority, but just remember the millions who go along for the game and go home happy that they have had a great (but expensive :( ) sporting day out.
Apparently not, just watch: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8221776.stm
and read http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8221626.stm?ls
Not just the odd idiot... hundreds!
dwest

Post by dwest »

And lets not forget the cricket hooligans either which I put down to grouchiness due to being suddenly woken at the end of the game.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

It's probably best to look at last night's events in the greater context of falling arrests at football matches:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olliewilliam ... s_ar.shtml

There is still a problem and isolated extreme incidents (like last night and Rangers' demolition of Manchester city centre last year), but by and large it's one that has been mostly left behind.

I think the UK are well ahead of other nations, especially ones like Italy and Spain when it comes to preventing football related violence.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Futbol obviously needs some American influence. Party first, then the game, party again or cry in your beer, either way it's a party.
Last edited by dwest on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

dwest wrote:Futbol obviously needs some American influence. Party first, than the game, party again or cry in your beer, either way it's a party.
:really:

What do you think we do in Scotland!?

Well, at least for international matches.

For domestic games we go to the pub and talk about how much we're going to win by, then go to the game and get angry at how bad our side is, then go to the pub again and get drunk until we forget how bad we were.

In other news apparently Morgan Spurlock has been filming in Aberdeen as part of a Fox documentary on 20 years of The Simpsons:
http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/New ... 70,00.html
dwest

Post by dwest »

chrisoff wrote:
dwest wrote:Futbol obviously needs some American influence. Party first, than the game, party again or cry in your beer, either way it's a party.
:really:

What do you think we do in Scotland!?

Well, at least for international matches.

For domestic games we go to the pub and talk about how much we're going to win by, then go to the game and get angry at how bad our side is, then go to the pub again and get drunk until we forget how bad we were.

In other news apparently Morgan Spurlock has been filming in Aberdeen as part of a Fox documentary on 20 years of The Simpsons:
http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/New ... 70,00.html
The mistake is waiting until you get to the pub. Over here we do it in the parking lot with with our grills and coolers on the tailgates of our trucks. It's hard to get angry even at a FIB or Viking fan if you're sharing a brat and beer with them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

dwest wrote: The mistake is waiting until you get to the pub. Over here we do it in the parking lot with with our grills and coolers on the tailgates of our trucks. It's hard to get angry even at a FIB or Viking fan if you're sharing a brat and beer with them.
Oh we don't get angry with the opposing fans (except maybe Rangers and Celtic ones when they start singing some of their "traditional" songs), we get angry at our own team.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

chrisoff wrote:It's probably best to look at last night's events in the greater context of falling arrests at football matches:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olliewilliam ... s_ar.shtml

There is still a problem and isolated extreme incidents (like last night and Rangers' demolition of Manchester city centre last year), but by and large it's one that has been mostly left behind.

I think the UK are well ahead of other nations, especially ones like Italy and Spain when it comes to preventing football related violence.
Thanks for the rescue act, Chris. Just my bloody luck to be pontificating about how soccer hooliganism is consigned to history a couple of days before that happens. The footage actually shows little real fighting and it shows that only a tiny minority were involved - about 50 people on the pitch I believe. The fact that this incident is getting huge coverage here is itself testimony to the fact that footie hooliganism has largely been sidelined. Such reports were depressingly routine 25 years ago and wouldn't often have made the front page. The match in question was an east London derby, and they are always potentially a hassle. I should know - I used to live in Poplar and I went to a couple meself in the early 70s. Times were tougher then! :o

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

dwest wrote:sharing a brat
What's this - the communal consumption of naughty boys? :-?

Denny

Post by Denny »

SteveShaw wrote:
dwest wrote:sharing a brat
What's this - the communal consumption of naughty boys? :-?
this from one of the banger boyz?
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Anyway, sod all this - Burnley shocked the world with their second giant-killing in a week, Everton being the victims this time. Four or five more results like that and they'll stay up against all the odds. Viva Owen! :party: