Books/Movies that Need a Different Ending

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Books/Movies that Need a Different Ending

Post by I.D.10-t »

Repo Man, after the first 10 minutes it starts to go down hill and gets worse.

"Johnny Got his Gun" and "Red Badge of Courage" I kept waiting for the main character to die, something along the lines of "They Shoot Horses, Don't They".
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

missy wrote:As for book endings - just about any Stephen King book after "The Stand". It's like he writes and writes and realizes "Hey, I'm at page 600, let's end it". The first one I noticed this way was "Pet Cemetary" and they just got worse from there on, to the point I've not read any of his more recent things.....
....And any of his put to film have been horrible except "Carrie".
The Dead Zone (The Movie, not the Series) translated well to film but that could have been because I'm a big fan of Christopher Walken. I liked him even before he was creepy.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On the subject of Stephen King, and of favorite books in general:

Stephen King's "IT" is one of my favorite books of all time. The ending is bittersweet but nicely completes the story and each time I reread it, I miss both the book and the characters in it horribly when I'm done.

That's pretty much a mark of all of my favorite books: I feel that I come to know the characters in them as people, and I miss them terribly when the book is done.

I also like books that have a level of complexity such that you can't get everything that they have to offer in one reading. Each time you read, more and more opens up to you.

Together, these things explain why I love to reread a really good book.

I'm reading the Lord of the Rings now, for the thirty-something'th time. It feels like coming home, and it's good to catch up with Bilbo and Frodo and Strider and all the rest, it's like visiting an old friend to see what they've been up to since you've seen them last.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

*Spoiler Alert* -Reading the critique below will reveal the ending of "The Abyss"

-The hokey but suspenseful movie fell down at the end when the hero is saved by a gigantic, fibreglass alien vessel surfacing from the deeps, a too-convenient hail-Mary pass
to tie up plot elements in one fell swoop. A B-movie with a C-movie ending. Harrumph! It coulda been a contender.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I liked the Abyss, but I think that if viewing for the first time now instead of in the theater, where I first saw it, I would also dislike the ending. The ending required the background of international politics and of ongoing shifts in our own government to provide the context that made it work at the time.

There really was a tendency for parts of our government to think that anything unusual, unexpected, or undesired had been set in motion by Soviet communists; also, at that time, everyone had a pretty recent memory of President Reagan talking rather seriously about the possibility of an attack by hostile extraterrestrial forces.

Placed in that context, the movie seemed very fresh, uplifting, and optimistic, and I enjoyed it.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Just watched a Bio-pic of General MacArthur. The Red Paranoia came across very well.

I've been re-reading Lawrences "Seven Pillars of Wisdom". I've been wondering what would have happened if Lawrence had failed, or if he had succumbed to his misgivings about the honesty of the British Government's professed policy, and told his Arab friends to forget about it.
This is less of a book needing a different ending and more of a history rewrite. If the Ottoman Empire had survived the First World War, what would the Middle East be like now? I don't imagine it would have survived the second. There might have been another "dress-rehersal" there, like in Spain.
Where would the borders be? Would there be an Israel? If there was, would they have any better relationship with their neighbours?

I like to think they might.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

When I saw the thread title Stephen King jumped to mind.
I agree Missy, so many seem to just abruptly end, whether there's an actual ending or not.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

"Miss Smillas feeling for Snow" by Peter Hoeg was a truly wonderful yarn but the ending is a total catastrophe.
Many years ago I remember reading a Dennis Wheatly thing which was either "The Devil rides out" or "To the Devil a Daughter" and after a huge chase up to the top of a mountain there was one page left and I wondered how he was going to write his way out of this predicerment. At the top, the baddy , just before the goody got there, dropped dead of a heart attack. Even Steven King would have blushed at that one.
Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "Marley and Me" yet. :-?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My wife won't let me see Marley & Me at a theatre. I have to wait til it's out on DVD. I cried in LOTR (all 3) & Narnia (both), she is not about to deal with me at the theatre during this movie.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

mutepointe wrote:My wife won't let me see Marley & Me at a theatre. I have to wait til it's out on DVD. I cried in LOTR (all 3) & Narnia (both), she is not about to deal with me at the theatre during this movie.
ah, hahaha...
allow me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUNJjIwlHk8

grab your kleenex mute
:D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

dubhlinn wrote:"Miss Smillas feeling for Snow" by Peter Hoeg was a truly wonderful yarn but the ending is a total catastrophe.
I read the book. My wife went to see the film. She said "The first bit was good, but after she left the city it all fell to pieces."
I said: "Just like the book, then."
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

'No country for old men'
One of the creepiest, coldest, evil killers in moviedom in Javier Bardem's character Anton Chigurh and a strong supporting cast, the movie reels along from one tension filled scene to the next.....but then....

SPOILER ALERT;

Tommy Lee Jones' character Ed Tom Bell is sitting at breakfast with his wife pondering retirement and a dream he had, he finishes talking about his dream and says "And then I woke up"...fade to black....end of movie....NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I thought you were going out to hunt down the killer!!!! :swear: I suppose there is always room for part 2.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Steven King has come up a lot. I'm sure I heard somewhere that unlike most authors who write a plan, he just sits down and writes it all out in one go - hence the rubbish endings.

As for No Country for Old Men - you've just put me off ever going to see it. I can't stand endings like that - see my post earlier aobut Atonement.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Don't let it put you off tootler, it really is a great movie right up to that last scene.
I have never been so exasperated at the end of a movie like I was with this, I really felt cheated.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!