tough question from a 6-year-old

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Post by dwest »

:boggle:
Last edited by dwest on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDSarah
antispam: No

Post by HDSarah »

fyffer wrote: BTW, this thread bears a call to arms for the other math geeks out there. New thread coming ...
Another math geek, checking in. :D Where's the new thread you mentioned?

I agree with what others said about speaking to a 6-year-old in terms she can understand. As to the broader question of "what is math?" (or "what are mathematics?") in general, that's a tough one. You'll probably have better luck getting the NON-math geeks to commit to an answer -- to those of us who love math, the field is so vast and beautiful that we have a hard time knowing where to begin a description.

As for the picture, I never knew an Irish Water Spaniel would hold still long enough to develop barnacles. :lol: (It IS an Irish Water Spaniel, isn't it?) Having had golden retrievers for several decades but now owning a Labrador retriever, I no longer make jokes about Labs being for people who don't have the gumption to groom a golden. That's me now, and loving it!
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've wondered, does math exist in the universe or only in our thoughts? If we never discovered it, would it exist? You could ask the same about music.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

TonyHiggins wrote:I've wondered, does math exist in the universe or only in our thoughts? If we never discovered it, would it exist? You could ask the same about music.
Tony
I have one word: fractals. I personally can't look at a photo of a snowflake or any number of other things that exhibit fractal growth without thinking of math. Putting it into terms we understand is a human thing, but the actual stuff of math is intrinsic to nature.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

TonyHiggins wrote:does math exist in the universe or only in our thoughts?
Ah, one of the big questions in philosophy of mathematics: is mathematics "created" or "discovered"? I lean toward the "created" camp.

"God made the integers, all else is the work of man."
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Denny

Post by Denny »

I can half agree with that :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

HDSarah wrote:Ah, one of the big questions in philosophy of mathematics: is mathematics "created" or "discovered"? I lean toward the "created" camp.
Something along the lines of the tree falling in the forest; do the numbers exist if there is no-one to count them?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Which is an irresistable opener for:

If a man says something in the forest and no one hears him, is he still wrong?

:lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

aw....you're teasin'....you know he is
ketida

Post by ketida »

SteveShaw wrote:Maths is the school subject that causes thousands of potential physics students to turn into biology students.

Me included. :(
Hey, wait a minute. I loved math, biology, and physics.
What's that make me?
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Math?

You-Me-Them-Us-It. Anything Else?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?