Most horrible TV commercial

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

cowtime wrote:I think I may hate the Hardee's "big buckin' chicken" commercials more than any other I've ever seen. Re-a-lly. Does anyone actually hear that phrase in their head when this plays? I don't think so. It's depressing.
I hated that one, too.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We don't have Hardees around here so we've been spared.

Back in my Navy days I'd go into the chowhall early and yell, "I'm Cuckoo for Coco-Puffs!!!" real loud.

Have you noticed how advertisers seem to think they have to have one person who's a total idiot and another who knows everything. They just have to insult someone I guess.

I can't think of others right now because I haven't watched TV in a few days. I'm sure there's a new abomination out there waiting.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:That Goldfish commercial was the first American commercial Martin saw when he first visited the states. It worked - he said he had to buy them.

They are now sold here, by the way, in limited flavours under the name "Finz". But I've never seen a commercial for them.
Hmm, I seem to recall a gathering of well spoken and well dressed people, and a butler comes in with a pile of goldfish crackers on a silver platter, and some lady says "But Ambassador, you are spoiling us..."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

My University's propaganda department has photos of people doing their research on the walls. One of the photos are of a Chemist in a nice clean lab coat and a test tube rack full of colorful liquids. They used food coloring to make science seem more “exciting”.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

My wife has been known to remark, "I remember when people
were too embarrassed to talk about their Genital Herpes!"
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Rod Sprague wrote: ...“Gongol fission.” (We need more gongol for the reactor, or we won’t make it!)...
ROTFLMFACO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gongol fission....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
bigpalooka

Post by bigpalooka »

There's a commercial with a bunch of dumb high school jocks in a classroom. The teacher asks a question and they all sit there with stupid looks on their faces. The next scene is one of the blockheads running for a touchdown with a bunch of the rest of them blocking for him. The text comes up saying something like "Football - it's everything".
Wait a couple of years, blockheads, you'll find out that football isn't everything.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

But isn't the bottom line, if the commercial is truely annoying we tend to remember it all the more?

Though I do admit to fast forwarding my TiVo when ever one of those car commercials comes on were people are riding in a car casually discussing something and BAM (an accident out of no where)!

The next scene is them outside looking at the car totalled.

No, I don't need to go there again.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I like those old SUV commercials where the truck or whatever was driving really too fast for road conditions and then it was going over a bridge but for some reason causing a huge wake and passing bikers and stuff and you never saw who the jerk was driving the thing so you could imagine it was you.

Or the behemoth vehicle that had a DVD TV set up so that you could pacify your children and spend yet another few minutes ignoring each other in your prefect family complete with dimples.

Dang, where did that come from?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I.D.10-t wrote:I like those old SUV commercials where the truck or whatever was driving really too fast for road conditions and then it was going over a bridge but for some reason causing a huge wake and passing bikers and stuff and you never saw who the jerk was driving the thing so you could imagine it was you.
Some Matt Groening underling wrote:Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five?
Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!
Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The one where Derek Jeter and Spike Lee gleefully drag race in the advertised cars (I don't even remember which one)on a regular city street. That's really great, two tremendous role models encouraging drag racing in the street...I really respect both their abilities and talents and thought that was just thoughtless and tasteless. The one where Jeter opens his home garage door to his personal gigundo room filled with expensive cars is also real sweet - like let's gloat about how rich we are...just stupid. Oh well, gotta go root for the slug, game starts soon. That's what happens when you're born and grow up in the Bronx.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

PhilO wrote:The one where Derek Jeter and Spike Lee gleefully drag race in the advertised cars (I don't even remember which one)on a regular city street. That's really great, two tremendous role models encouraging drag racing in the street...I really respect both their abilities and talents and thought that was just thoughtless and tasteless. The one where Jeter opens his home garage door to his personal gigundo room filled with expensive cars is also real sweet - like let's gloat about how rich we are...just stupid. Oh well, gotta go root for the slug, game starts soon. That's what happens when you're born and grow up in the Bronx.

Philo
What I really hate is that clown is from Kalamazoo Michigan!!! If he had any pride he'd have played for the Tigers. :boggle: :cry: :evil: :cry:

I love the Canyonero pseudo commercial.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Saw a gross comercial that made me laugh. Not a word is spoken.

First frame: You see the backside of this guy, he's on the beach. All the camera shows is his thighs and swimtrunks. Anyway, there's this persistant fly that always flies around his trunks, he shoos it away, but it keeps coming back, buzzing around his ass.
Next frame: wet/moist toilet paper.

:lol:
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

amar wrote:Saw a gross comercial that made me laugh. Not a word is spoken.

First frame: You see the backside of this guy, he's on the beach. All the camera shows is his thighs and swimtrunks. Anyway, there's this persistant fly that always flies around his trunks, he shoos it away, but it keeps coming back, buzzing around his ass.
Next frame: wet/moist toilet paper.

:lol:
That would be banned in the States I'm sad to say. Now if it were a woman's butt it would be OK.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

The 'what's in your wallet' commercials by a credit card company backfires, at least to me. It comes across so threatening and trecherous that I think of it as a reflection on the company itself.

The other that also ends up kicking itself to me is the bank who are advertising their identity theft program with the perpetrators of the i.d. thefts having their voices overdubbed onto to hapless victims. As with the other commercial it's well done but to the extent of creating a nightmarish vision that I end up somehow associating with the company itself.