Marcus Hernon session.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Marcus Hernon session.

Post by bradhurley »

JGrant-Skerries wrote:Hi,

Tonn Teine is a hill in Tipperary.

Jim
Excellent, that sounds like the best bet yet, since O'Brien was from Tipperary, although I've not been able to find such a name for a hill on any map; do you know precisely where it is?
JGrant-Skerries

Post by JGrant-Skerries »

Hi, Brad,

Check Tountinna for map references. I wouldn't be silly enough to make a declaration about etymology about a place name because of the interactions between anglicised and Irish names; superficial interpretations are easy but frequently spurious and you'd need to consult a local historian for anything believeable. Given that, it is referenced as Tonn Tine, tonn in current Irish meaning wave and teine is generally regarded as a variant of tine meaning some form of fire. In this case it could refer to a signal beacon on the hill or it could be a festive bonfire. The wave could be a reference to Lough Derg which is below it or the biblical flood (??) but another meaning is surface or skin - ar tonn talun means on the face of the earth.

Jim
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

JGrant-Skerries wrote:Hi,

Tonn Teine is a hill in Tipperary.

Jim

Oddly enough, when you put Tonn Teine into Google maps you end up in Estonia. :shock: According to an online translator I tried, tonn teine means "the second t (as in the letter)" in Estonian. Although Estonia does have a long tradition of bag-piping I do believe the Google folk have this one wrong. Besides, the tune doesn't seem to be on any of the Vanilla Ninja CD's. :)
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Andrew Hollom

Post by Andrew Hollom »

With regard to downloading YouTube videos, I managed to find out how to do this by accident recently, so I'll share my discovery (probably old hat to many of you!). My kids use the CBeebies web site (a BBC kids channel in the UK) and like to play games and the like, and some of them required me to download the RealPlayer, which I didn't really want, but to keep the kids happy I did. Anyway, after installing this, I noticed that videos in places like YouTube now offered a button above them (and a right-click context menu) that allowed me to download them (and to also convert to alternative formats). I haven't tried this, but it should be possible to extract the sound channel, which should give the best quality possible with the process being entirely digital.

Happy new year,

Andrew.