Thinking about a new career

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

Tyghress wrote: And when you find it....please let me know? I'm still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up.
Me too.

I've had lots of jobs, the best paying was in the phone company. Kind of sorry I quit to stay home with my daughter but I couldn't go part time in the department I was in at that time. If I had it to do over I would have retreated to my previous department and taken as much "e-time" (extra time off without pay that didn't mess up senority) as I could have.

Instead, when we found that we couldn't live on my husband's income from used books, I tried selling Tupperware, had a pre-census job checking the info the census people were going to use (that was interesting), tried medical transcription, and now I'm just a cashier at the pet store. At least now I don't dread going in to work. But my feet hurt, even with decent shoes.

My dream job would be trying to figure out what to do with the grand prize from the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes! :lol:
Charlene
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

cskinner wrote: Gonzo, speaking of work, shouldn't you be doing some?
They left me without supervision again.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Redwolf wrote:In school I was strong in the sciences, particularly biology (but very weak in math, which is what kept me from pursuing a veterinary degree...when science and math came together in the form of chemistry, I caved) and in language (including foreign languages). Redwolf
As others have suggested med med tech, vet tech etc. seem to be growth industries. The demand for RNs is also high. My wife is an RN and spent 25 yrs working in an "Urgent" care dept. - sort like an ER but without the major trauma cases. About 8-10 yrs ago she switched to research nursing.

One of the biggest factors was that she didn't want to spend all her time with sick people anymore. I've never been involved in medical professions and had never thought about this as an issue. Do you want to spend your time with sick people? Do you want to tend to people as they die? Do you want to work with technology? Do you like human interaction all day long? Do you want to work M-F days or are random hours and weekends okay? You can answer any of these or simliar questions yes or no and the answers would take to very different parts of the medical world.

In the old days, I'd come home from work (office setting) complaining about some tough issue or another. She'd look at me and ask sweetly "So did anyone throw up on your shoes?" End of discussion.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

gonzo914 wrote:
emmline wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:So I'll probably never get to work in newspaper, which is something I've wanted to do ever since I got my first whiff of newsprint and rubber cement back in 1972.
That's just sad.
Oh, I'll be OK. They don't use that rubber cement any more, anyway.
I know where they use plenty of it, if you really start jonesing......

Loren
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

A friend of mine who was a fully trained librarian re-trained as a self-employed physiotherapy masseuse, working with people who are recovering from injuries, operations etc.

I think working with your hands as well as your head is very rewarding (at least emotionally, not sure about financially), and helping other people is too.

If you're a people person, this might suit you.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Nursing is an excellent career, not too late, and marketable in just about every area. Now would be a very good time to start the educational process. In two years you could be an RN, and there's plenty more to focus on.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

I am always thinking of finding an alternate career, but have no idea what I'd like to do. I am enjoying the great ideas people have here. Please keep them coming. I could never go into the healthcare business, but I think I would like something that allows me to do some driving and some walking, and not be stuck sitting at a desk all day, and makes good money, and aren't I just asking for the moon, and if I didn't have to be particularly nice to anyone because I find that draining, then I think that might be okay ..... :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

djm wrote:I am always thinking of finding an alternate career, but have no idea what I'd like to do. I am enjoying the great ideas people have here. Please keep them coming. I could never go into the healthcare business, but I think I would like something that allows me to do some driving and some walking, and not be stuck sitting at a desk all day, and makes good money, and aren't I just asking for the moon, and if I didn't have to be particularly nice to anyone because I find that draining, then I think that might be okay ..... :D

djm
And if you find that, let us all know so we can come join you!
Charlene
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Martin Milner wrote:A friend of mine who was a fully trained librarian re-trained as a self-employed physiotherapy masseuse, working with people who are recovering from injuries, operations etc.

I think working with your hands as well as your head is very rewarding (at least emotionally, not sure about financially), and helping other people is too.

If you're a people person, this might suit you.

This is definitely one of those occupations where you should talk to several massage therapists who have been in the business for 5+ years, before making a decision - chronic physical problems due to repetitive strain/over use, and emotional burnout, are common problems among massage therapists who work often enough to make a decent living. One of my closest friends has recently left the field for these reasons, after only 5-6 years at it.

Loren
rh

Post by rh »

Loren wrote:This is definitely one of those occupations where you should talk to several massage therapists who have been in the business for 5+ years, before making a decision - chronic physical problems due to repetitive strain/over use, and emotional burnout, are common problems among massage therapists who work often enough to make a decent living. One of my closest friends has recently left the field for these reasons, after only 5-6 years at it.
That's probably about average, i hear various estimates from 3-7 years as the average career span for an MT. Slightly longer than a professional athlete.

I remember asking my first Chinese medicine teacher to teach me Tui Na, Chinese massage. He said in his thick accent "Better study acupuncture instead. Someday you get old, tired. Tui Na very difficult, acupuncture very easy!"
there is no end to the walking
rh

Post by rh »

djm wrote:I think I would like something that allows me to do some driving and some walking, and not be stuck sitting at a desk all day, and makes good money, and aren't I just asking for the moon, and if I didn't have to be particularly nice to anyone because I find that draining, then I think that might be okay .....
smuggling illegal aliens across the border might fit the bill... :lol:
there is no end to the walking
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

rh wrote:That's probably about average, i hear various estimates from 3-7 years as the average career span for an MT. Slightly longer than a professional athlete.

I remember asking my first Chinese medicine teacher to teach me Tui Na, Chinese massage. He said in his thick accent "Better study acupuncture instead. Someday you get old, tired. Tui Na very difficult, acupuncture very easy!"
Sounds like good advice!

Loren
djm

Post by djm »

rh wrote:smuggling illegal aliens across the border might fit the bill
Gee, I never thought of that. Are you really interested in coming to Canada? :D

djm
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

djm wrote:
rh wrote:smuggling illegal aliens across the border might fit the bill
Gee, I never thought of that. Are you really interested in coming to Canada? :D

djm
If we get a draft back down here, I'm interested.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
djm

Post by djm »

Sand in yer boots doesn't appeal? :lol: I would laugh at America's latest Viet Nam, but now Canada is practising doing one, too. :(

djm