a personal thought

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

When I log on to the Chiff board, I scroll down the titles of posts, and when I see one the was started by Walden I open it because I know that 99% of the time a post by Walden will be worth reading and that I'll learn something from it.

I don't post much, although I did pass 1000 a while back without fanfare, because I don't always have much to say. But Walden does have something to say, straight from the heart, with no BS.

Mike
Jack

Post by Jack »

burnsbyrne wrote:I don't post much, although I did pass 1000 a while back without fanfare...
Honey, let me tell you, I passed 7,000, 8,000, and 9,000 without fanfare, so don't take it personally--sometimes people just don't notice. I noticed one other person who went past a special mark and nobody noticed them either. So don't take it personally. :P

burnsbyrne wrote:But Walden does have something to say, straight from the heart, with no BS.
I agree 100%! :)
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Walden, I enjoy your posts and I always enjoyed talking to you in chat. I think you're a neat guy.

When I look at people on C&F, I see fascinating individuals who have come together, drawn by an interest in a particular type of music, to discuss that music in particular and life in general. To me, they're ALL interesting, and I don't judge them based on their education, worldliness, or sophistication. I don't even know anything about their education, worldliness, or sophistication.

I expect that most people here would feel the same way.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Walden, I was born and spent many of my formative years about 70 miles from where you are now. And despite being myself the very model of urbane sophistication, despite having a vague clue as to the difference between a latte and a cappucino, despite having travelled the world and having been to Kansas City and Bowling Green and Potsdam and Ponder and other parts of Texas or the United States, despite having fed the stars even if I have not dined with them, despite all these things, whenever I went back there to visit my sainted mother, I felt the same way. I think there's something in the water of the Verdigris River.

That said, I think weekenders made some very good points, especially the last paragraph. (Although he does seem to talk about nihilism, existential frustration, cynicism and morbid apathy like they were bad things.)
Last edited by gonzo914 on Mon May 22, 2006 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

gonzo914 wrote:I think there's something in the water of the Verdigris River.
There is... that's how it got a name meaning green.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It's not much different being from SW Michigan Walden. I just console myself with local store brand American Processed Cheese Food.

Seriously though I reached a point where I realized I am what I am. I'm not what I'd thought I would be nor will I ever be those things. But I will like what I am.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Flyingcursor wrote: I just console myself with local store brand American Processed Cheese Food.
Really? Oh dear! You shouldn't eat that stuff! Think of the salt and saturated fats! Instead, why not try...oh, never mind... I'll only get shouted at...
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

SteveShaw wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: I just console myself with local store brand American Processed Cheese Food.
Really? Oh dear! You shouldn't eat that stuff! Think of the salt and saturated fats! Instead, why not try...oh, never mind... I'll only get shouted at...
:lol: :lol:

Actually while I've been on my limited caloric intake regimen I haven't eaten any cheese at all. And only had chocolate three times in the past month and a half. Ugh.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: a personal thought

Post by anniemcu »

Walden wrote:Admittedly, I've been going through some personal crises, but I find that increasingly I just feel like a very backward hick, here on the forums, and elsewhere.

It's like everyone is suave and sophisticated and so broadly cultured, and I am left without a clue where they are coming from.

My close friend said "you're just from a different culture," but I have a little trouble buying that. Canadians, British, people from the Orient, Americans, they all seem to be more cosmopolitan than I am. It's not as if I lived all of my life in the holler. I've lived overseas. I've gone to international school. I've lived in one of the world's largest metropolises. I've been around. I've dined with the well-to-do. Yet... I feel... somehow left behind in time or something.
Dare I suggest... "Lucky you!"

And/or ... "Welcome to the club!"
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

burnsbyrne wrote:When I log on to the Chiff board, I scroll down the titles of posts, and when I see one the was started by Walden I open it because I know that 99% of the time a post by Walden will be worth reading and that I'll learn something from it.

I don't post much, although I did pass 1000 a while back without fanfare, because I don't always have much to say. But Walden does have something to say, straight from the heart, with no BS.

Mike
Yup... you are quite right.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm convinced I'm a total eejit, for what it's worth.

Walden, for me your posts are most often concise and the springboard to much thought. Sort of like a still, quiet and wise voice pointing out the sound and fury. I value that very much. Always brings me back to solid ground, and I need that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm convinced I'm a total eejit, for what it's worth.

Walden, for me your posts are most often concise and the springboard to much thought. Sort of like a still, quiet and wise voice pointing out the sound and fury. I value that very much. Always brings me back to solid ground, and I need that.
I agree absolutely with what Nano said, including his first sentence. (Yeh, I know that's a little ambiguous :twisted: )

I also think Dub said it very well indeed.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Monster

Post by Monster »

gonzo914 wrote:
That said, I think weekenders made some very good points, especially the last paragraph. (Although he does seem to talk about nihilism, existential frustration, cynicism and morbid apathy like they were bad things.)
Wow, if that's what Weekender's meant, I might actually agree with him! :lol:

Walden, it's true, a lot of people do feel the same way. I feel that way at times, but when I get back to the things I really really enjoy, that's when I start to feel better.
insert uber smart comment here
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

buddhu wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I'm convinced I'm a total eejit, for what it's worth.
I agree absolutely with what Nano said, including his first sentence. (Yeh, I know that's a little ambiguous :twisted: )
And I'm heartless, too. :D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician