Why does a small hole flute seem like a sports car?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Wormdiet wrote:Once again I hope everybody is treating this thread as a debate rather than anything personal. . . .

:o
:oops:

I thought we were done discussing the viability of flutes as a motor vehicle analogy.

:lol:
le_koukou
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by le_koukou »

What about Boehm flutes? They have huge holes AND they are very responsive (at least the decent ones). :-?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Wormdiet wrote:On a broader level, I absolutely agree with you that reviews are often overly glowing and often do not really provide any useful info to prospective buyers. The ones I pay attention to are from players who have owned or had long-term experience with many different flutes. James P's reviews, for instance, or Dave M's, or Katski's, have a lot of weight behind them. My own don't, point taken.

David often makes the point that one should always include their experience level when reviewing gear, and that just makes sense. I am not sure
On this, my dear Wormdiet, you and I are, as they say, 'congruent.' But that subject matter deserves a whole other thread.

Wonderful to see some other folks diving into the thread too. Or should that be driving into the thread?

"Is an Olwell more responsive than a Dixon 2-piece?" Sadly, I dunno. I don't have either, and haven't played either. If you'd said 'better than' instead of 'more responsive than' I'd have less difficulty understanding, and that's because we still haven't got a decent definition of 'responsiveness'.

For example, Flutefry says "If one can consistently play the passage/tune on one instrument faster than the other, then one is more responsive."

This is nothing more than a measure of comfort, for me at least. I can consistently play faster on one of my D flutes than another, for the simple fact that one flute has a slim body and the other is fat. Fat-bodied flutes aggravate my tendonitis, slim bodied flutes don't. I have two fat-bodied flutes, one Prattenesquey and one Rudallesquey, and the hole sizes are irrelevant as far as comfort, playability, and therefore 'responsiveness' is concerned. For me and my elbow, anyway. Similarly, I can play well enough on a Bb, but for a lot longer (and 'faster') on a D or an Eb, again wholely because of the fatitudiness of the flutes. As I said, it's a comfort thing.
Jack Bradshaw wrote:there are good physical reasons why the small hole flute may be more responsive (ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL).
hehe! Dear Jack! I love the commitment! "may be", "all other things being equal" Niiiice use of get-out-of-jail-free clauses :D

"Notice, higher frequency instrument with the same Q = larger bandwidth = shorter response time, etc etc"

teehee. I think we lost the Trekkies there Jack. Me, I'm from an electronics engineering background, so Q means 'goodness' to me :) But the note-bending experiment is pants, isn't it? Bending a note is entirely embouchure-control, and therefore player, dependant. A good player can likely bend a note further and smoother than someone who's just bought a Hall Crystal flute and thinks the tone is fantastic, in spite of never playing a flute before.

Therefore good players are more 'responsive' than newbies, therefore good players are sports cars! :boggle:
The same "hissiness" that signifies wide bandwidth lets the flute "jump" between octaves the faster (personally, that's the aspect that feels more like an oversteering sports car)
The 'hissiest' flute I have was made in Pakistan. I have a Pakistani sports car?? Actually I'm stretching the truth a bit; that flute was really hissy when I first bought it, but the hissiness slowly disappeared. I don't think the flute's bandwidth changed though, I think it's just that my embouchure improved and became a lot more efficient, therefore less hissy, as a result.

Anyway, I've owned and driven sports cars (Triumph GT6 MkII was my favourite) and I own and play flutes. I know the difference.

I had to get a taxi to work today. I discovered my MoT has expired, and so I can't drive my Peugeot 106 until it's re-tested, and that won't be until Friday. My flutes are therefore like a Peugeot 106... sitting at home doing buggrall waiting for me.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

le_koukou wrote:What about Boehm flutes? They have huge holes AND they are very responsive (at least the decent ones). :-?
Vorsprung Durch Technik!! Built by robots, driven by Italians! :D
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

GaryKelly wrote:
Jack Bradshaw wrote:there are good physical reasons why the small hole flute may be more responsive (ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL).
hehe! Dear Jack! I love the commitment! "may be", "all other things being equal" Niiiice use of get-out-of-jail-free clauses :D

"Notice, higher frequency instrument with the same Q = larger bandwidth = shorter response time, etc etc"

teehee. I think we lost the Trekkies there Jack. Me, I'm from an electronics engineering background, so Q means 'goodness' to me :)
Q is certainly good for amplitude.......I'm also sure you've passed a square wave through a filter, eh? Or built a super-regen (a better example in this case)
GaryKelly wrote: But the note-bending experiment is pants, isn't it? Bending a note is entirely embouchure-control, and therefore player, dependant. A good player can likely bend a note further and smoother than someone who's just bought a Hall Crystal flute and thinks the tone is fantastic, in spite of never playing a flute before.

Therefore good players are more 'responsive' than newbies, therefore good players are sports cars! :boggle:
:lol: :lol: I'd have to go along w/ that, even if it isn't QED!
The same "hissiness" that signifies wide bandwidth lets the flute "jump" between octaves the faster (personally, that's the aspect that feels more like an oversteering sports car)
GaryKelly wrote: The 'hissiest' flute I have was made in Pakistan. I have a Pakistani sports car?? ......... I know the difference.
Unsafe at any speed ?? :-?

:lol: :lol:
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Denny

Post by Denny »

GaryKelly wrote:Therefore good players are more 'responsive' than newbies, therefore good players are sports cars! :boggle:
So I'm a pickup?

Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Denny wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Therefore good players are more 'responsive' than newbies, therefore good players are sports cars! :boggle:
So I'm a pickup?

Boy! That sure looks like a one-octane B-flat to me! :twisted:
603/329-7322
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Boy! That sure looks like a one-octane B-flat to me! :twisted:
it has its drawbacks...

great bottom end though! :D
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

This is me, playing any flute![/url]
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

THE ULTIMATE "GEEZER"

Ex-British, valves gone, and complete with rubber bands!
603/329-7322
Denny

Post by Denny »

it can always get worse...

Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

and worse.

Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Is that a Chatterham 7? I once had a bass clarinet that was like a Lotus 7 that a buddy used to own: low to the ground, badly aligned, leaky, dicey in the low-end, and unforgiving to operator error.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Or even worse...

(Probably some kind of very large bore Pratten.)

Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Chiffed wrote:Image

This is me, playing any flute![/url]
Anyone who has seen Cathal McConnel's flute close up will instantly recognise this image.

Terry