tricks for warming whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I find I can warm even a low d quickly by covering the window with my palm and 3 fingers of other hand on closest 3 holes, then take a deep breath and blow steadily from the fipple end. The air doesn't escape through the window and stays inside all the way down past the covered holes. A couple of deep breaths does it. Then I need to blow forcefully to clear the condensation this produces and tap the fipple end into my palm, window facing palm. All ready to go in less than a minute.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
WhistlinBob

Post by WhistlinBob »

your off topic comments are not needed get a life!
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

WhistlinBob wrote:your off topic comments are not needed get a life!
Hark who's talking!!! :P

?
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

Armpit. It's the only way for me, because it also facilitates fast key changes where you have to switch whistles in a hurry. Of course, that only keeps one extra whistle warm at a time, but I've never needed more than two whistles in one song.
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Depending on how you dress when performing and the size and numbers of whistles we're talking about...could you or the wife simply sew simple long slender pockets on the inside of a vest so that the whistles are kept warm and close at hand? Kind of a wearable multiple whistle pouch. A low D is fairly long, bit if you're of better than average height I should think it wouldn't be too long.
lisdoonvarna

A plethora of warm ideas

Post by lisdoonvarna »

I'm enjoying all the clever and practical ideas for warming whistles. I think its just the Chieftain all metal whistles (low d and low f) that are the issue. The Generation and Clarks don't clog on me.

Reviewing many of the ideas, I'm thinking I can't sit on the whistles to keep them warm since I stand playing. I can't keep them under my arm-the low whistles are too big and I switch back and forth singing and playing fiddle and mandos. I don't think I want to wear them in my pants (at least in public) and I have no cleavage being male. I can't see myself in a vest with a D whistle sticking out of it. I'd probably lean over and impale myself-although Dale would probably make the x-ray part of the site. I know the hot liquids will end up in something electronic. So now I'm thinking of the heating packets 25 cents a gig I'm told or a regular heating pad with a towel or little blanket. Or--how about this? the electric sock idea IF I can rig up an electric adaptor so I don't have to worry about batteries. Could that work???? What voltage are electric socks? Hmmm Are they AC or DC? Hmmm
Pat
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
tys

Post by tys »

I like the electric sock idea! That would seem to be almost perfect since I carry my whistles around in socks already.
A quick google search revealed this: http://www.soldiercity.com/product-exec/product_id/9866

Cheers,
Ryan
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I stick 'em in my shirt.
Short bio: 1952-
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Just a few comments having come late to the thread.

I do what Wanderer does, sitting on them or using the armpit method. Sometimes if I'm playing outside and it is cold, I stick them down the front of my coat, but unlike Redwolf, my built-in's are not sufficient unless I have on a coat, hahah.

I like the idea of the whistle roll with built-in warmer (nee heating pad). I may see if I can work on that idea.

Nice to see mention of my friend Aodh Og.
Nancy F

Life's too short to work harder than you must.