Lovely Rita, no Meter maid.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

Charlene wrote: And how many people from New Orleans are still in the Houston area? :o
Hey, don't forget the folks from Houston still in Houston. :D
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

beowulf573 wrote:
Charlene wrote: And how many people from New Orleans are still in the Houston area? :o
Hey, don't forget the folks from Houston still in Houston. :D
Apologies. :oops:

I didn't mean to make light of the danger to everyone in the possible path. Just was thinking what a pain it would be to be someplace where the government said to go to be safe, when . . . oh wait, they've already been there, done that.

I hope Rita just fizzles out without doing much damage anywhere.
Charlene
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Please, make light, sometimes it's the only way to get through life.

I for instance used this occaision to buy that hand-cranked radio I've been eyeing for a while. I wanted to push it and buy a new leatherman tool, but I think my wife would see through a cheap ploy like that.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The Galveston mayor has announced its plan for a voluntary evacuation.
Volunteer drivers will have pick up points and also be able to take their own family on the bus they drive. Some of the buses will go inland about two hundred miles to Huntsville. This may start tomorrow.

Did you see the story about the 76 year old man that stayed in his home in New Orleans for about 18 days. He was rescued a few days ago. He only had a gallon and half of water the whole time.

FWIW Most hot water heaters have a drain valve on the bottom. Water can be drained when there is no pressure. I would close the inlet valve on top to prevent sphioning in bad water, and open the relief valve by hand to allow the air in to aid draining. There may be some sediment but that could be removed with a coffe filter.

Keep canned food on hand that can be tolarated eating with out heating.
Denny

Post by Denny »

beowulf573 wrote:Please, make light, sometimes it's the only way to get through life.

I for instance used this occaision to buy that hand-cranked radio I've been eyeing for a while. I wanted to push it and buy a new leatherman tool, but I think my wife would see through a cheap ploy like that.
Eddie, make her carry the tool box when you run for it. Next time you will have the leatherman...
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Not likin' the looks of the 5-day cone:

No matter where in the Gulf this b***h makes landfall it'll suck... Let's hope it doesn't organize much. :(
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Tommy wrote:The Galveston mayor has announced its plan for a voluntary evacuation.
Volunteer drivers will have pick up points and also be able to take their own family on the bus they drive. Some of the buses will go inland about two hundred miles to Huntsville. This may start tomorrow.
Well, that's not such a bad idea! It would create a "bus community" of people who would be able to stick together. I like that.

Even if you had to sleep in the bus in a parking lot, you'd be safe.
FWIW Most hot water heaters have a drain valve on the bottom. Water can be drained when there is no pressure. I would close the inlet valve on top to prevent sphioning in bad water, and open the relief valve by hand to allow the air in to aid draining. There may be some sediment but that could be removed with a coffe filter.
That's a good suggestion. I always forget that one because I do not have a water heater.

Remember, too, that toilet tanks actually contain clean water . . . if you don't use those bleach-detergent things in them.

If you do not have to use your bathtub as a shelter from falling debris, fill them with water. You can drink it if need be, or use it to flush the toilet. Most tubs leak a bit, so you want to take a small circular container, like Tupperware, place it over the drain, and caulk it into place. Put another one over the overflow that's up on the side of the tub. You'll have to do this a bit in advance. Even if you are evacuating, this is a good idea, because you may not have water when you return.

Save containers to make ice. If you have none, use ziploc bags. Freeze all the water you can in your freezer, then pack your refrigerator with it. Turn your fridge to the lowest setting. Your food will keep better if the electricity goes off. And then you can drink the melted ice water.

You need a gallon a day per person, incidentally. Two if you plan on washing.
Keep canned food on hand that can be tolarated eating with out heating.

And don't forget the can opener!!!!! :roll:

Chunky soup, tuna pouches, canned fruit, dried fruit, nuts. And you know those ramen noodles? They're edible dry.

Cheese, incidentally, does not spoil. It's perfectly safe to eat even after days at room temperature. Those little wax-wrapped Bon-Bel and gouda cheeses do really well, in fact.

Cook everything in your freezer ahead of time using recipes that you can eat cold. That way, if there is no electricity or gas, your food is already cooked. Eating it gives you something to do while you're sitting there trapped in the storm.

Last year, we had piles of garbage 3 meters high along our streets--mostly the contents of freezers. It was appalling. (For you Europeans, Americans like to shop infrequently, buy in bulk, and store it in a huge freezer.) Floridians lost so much food last year that I do not know anyone who has more than $30 worth of food in their freezer right now.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I love all the raw data that available now days. It's enough to make an info geek giggle.

Current models show it making landfall well south of Houston/Galveston. It's still too early to tell but so far it looks like we'll just get some well needed rain.
Eddie
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Gee, we haven't heard from the South Florida contingent in a while . . . hope they're doing ok.

Yes, the information available now is wonderful. Sure beats hanging around the television to get bits and scraps at a forecaster's whim! And having to listen to all that annoying music on The Weather Channel.

At 2 p.m., they issued an advisory reflecting the upgrade in strength. It's now officially a Category 2 with 100 mph winds and going to increase some more.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tommy wrote:The Galveston mayor has announced its plan for a voluntary evacuation.
Galveston Texas mayor Lyda Ann Thomas said today if Rita stayes on its current track, City buses will begin departing from the Island Community Center (4700 Broadway)at 10 am Wednesday. And for those who also need help getting to the Center there is a phone number to call. Pets may be brought also in a cage. Galveston Crimestoppers is providing cages but are running out.
Buses will run as long as possible and so far that looks like untill
Friday 2 pm.

Houston Astrodome can not handle a hurricane, and those staying there from Louisiana are being taken to Arkansas by plane.

My family and I will leave Santa Fe around Thursday or Friday and go inland.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Shouldn't you leave on Thursday? Maybe the traffic wouldn't be so bad. Perhaps there is a work problem involved.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Yes, Thursday morning looks best right now. There are a lot of variables.
Naturally Rita is the main one and when the schools are closed. I am looking to leave before the roads are congested, and we will go past Houston, and most likely around it out of our way. If Rita turns into a cat. four and is close to Houston. There could be to much water there.

Just found out school is out till after Rita is past. My wife is a teacher so we can go when we are ready.... Hurricane season is over November 30.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh good. I'm glad to hear you can get an early start. That really helps you and everyone else too.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Lambchop wrote:Gee, we haven't heard from the South Florida contingent in a while . . . hope they're doing ok.
checking in from Broward county, no problems at my house though there were some twisters nearby. the storm pretty much threaded through the straits so the in-laws in Habana were apparently spared as well.

hope everybody fares well in the path of this thing, it left here a cat 2...
there is no end to the walking