Flute stands

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Added a whistle holder section to the mike stand flute holder suspension bag whatchamacallit type thing. I used to use a pint glass to hold whistles on stage which is charming and all, but you usually have to lean over and down to get them. With the right chair you can risk a fall doing that as I have nearly done. Now I can just reach out with ease and grab whatever. This thingum could be made from a variety of materials. I'm sure there are other similar designs already out there, but I haven't seen but maybe one or two so far.

Gave the flute/whistle holder its maiden voyage last evening. Very, very convenient, and I spent less of a wary eye out lest I topple something.

I never quite liked the look of bag-type holders in the past, but when you shell out some for these instruments, care might one day come to supercede vanity.

I thought of cobbling on a pint holder but decided to stop there. Less is sometimes more. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Nanohedron wrote:Added a whistle holder section to the mike stand flute holder suspension bag whatchamacallit type thing. I used to use a pint glass to hold whistles on stage which is charming and all, but you usually have to lean over and down to get them. With the right chair you can risk a fall doing that as I have nearly done. Now I can just reach out with ease and grab whatever. This thingum could be made from a variety of materials. I'm sure there are other similar designs already out there, but I haven't seen but maybe one or two so far.

Gave the flute/whistle holder its maiden voyage last evening. Very, very convenient, and I spent less of a wary eye out lest I topple something.

I never quite liked the look of bag-type holders in the past, but when you shell out some for these instruments, care might one day come to supercede vanity.

I thought of cobbling on a pint holder but decided to stop there. Less is sometimes more. :wink:
Photos please. :)

I'm adding a selection of smaller, single to four-whistle cases, with a hanging strap so that they can be suspended from a mike stand.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll see what I can do. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I used a mike-stand-flute-holder-suspension-bag a couple times which I
had made out of pvc pipe. I got the idea off woodie L some years ago
when I needed something for an outdoor bonfire gig.

I took my M&E to the local hardware shop, along with one of those long
quiver-like beer can holders which have a shoulder strap (an in-law got it
from a restaurant giveaway).

The shop owner measured it all against a piece of plastic pipe which was
the diameter of the long beer can holder, then cut the pipe to fit it. With 2
endcaps it all cost under $8.

I stuffed some bubble wrap in the bottom after glueing the bottom end
cap on. It worked really well hung on the mic stand. Later I saw that
some Native American flute websites sell the same type of thing all
fancied up.

For home I use the modified K&M on a table top. You want to make the
dowel long enough to support more than just the footjoint. I also made
some flute covers out of fabric scraps (like a long sock) and have kept a
flute sitting on or in one of those, on a table, or over the flute on the
stand. Mostly the little stand is better as it catches the drips.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

anniemcu wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Added a whistle holder section to the mike stand flute holder suspension bag whatchamacallit type thing. I used to use a pint glass to hold whistles on stage which is charming and all, but you usually have to lean over and down to get them. With the right chair you can risk a fall doing that as I have nearly done. Now I can just reach out with ease and grab whatever. This thingum could be made from a variety of materials. I'm sure there are other similar designs already out there, but I haven't seen but maybe one or two so far.

Photos please. :)

I'm adding a selection of smaller, single to four-whistle cases, with a hanging strap so that they can be suspended from a mike stand.
Here you go: sorry it took so long.

It's sorta ugly and funky, but it does the trick. Side view:

That's my Foley cittern there beside it.
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Bag looks good and seem to be just the ticket!

I'd like to have a Foley cittern by me some day too...
Alan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Alan wrote:Bag looks good and seem to be just the ticket!
Thanks!
Alan wrote:I'd like to have a Foley cittern by me some day too...
It's a great gizmo indeed. I have to continually deceive myself that I'm worthy of it. Or of all my instruments, for that matter.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Looks good Nano!

Does the looseness of the flute portion of the sack enable better access? Or could you get by with somewhat less? I was thinking that the tubes would have to be fairly loose, just to facilitate ease of getting the thing in and out in a relative hurry, and safely. How wide is wide enough (I'm thinking conservation of materials as well as fluidity of movement.)

I'm thinking a folded side that opens when the cover flap is released, giving wider access for active use and snugging down again for portability.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

anniemcu wrote:Looks good Nano!

Does the looseness of the flute portion of the sack enable better access? Or could you get by with somewhat less? I was thinking that the tubes would have to be fairly loose, just to facilitate ease of getting the thing in and out in a relative hurry, and safely. How wide is wide enough (I'm thinking conservation of materials as well as fluidity of movement.)

I'm thinking a folded side that opens when the cover flap is released, giving wider access for active use and snugging down again for portability.
Thanks. I think you could get by with a smaller flute-section opening, but not by much if what you want is quick and easy access, which for me is often enough quite important. The sleeve itself dictated the form and its proportions, and I found the result to be ideal.

When I'm done and the flute's swabbed and packed away, I just pop the whistles into the flute section, gather in the wider area of the bag's mouth, pull down the high back to stand as a cover flap, and use the ties to secure everything. The result of that looks not so much like a case as a tied-up bag, but it's effective and multipurpose. If there were no whistles to store away, I could fold it up into a reasonably small packet, and collapsibility is a good thing especially if you have to tote a bunch of stuff around.