Mind Expansion

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Mind Expansion

Post by Congratulations »

DEFINITELY some Flannery O'Connor. Any collection of her short stories is bound to please, especially if you're familiar with southern America. Anyone can appreciate (and fall in love) with them, though. :)

And, to move in a different direction, I suggest that you steer clear of any of Thomas Hardy's prose (his poetry is bearable). This is especially true of Jude the Obscure.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Taking the Quantum Leap, by Fred A. Wolf.
Quiffs, pops, and waves which are particles somehow put all our macro nonsense in a different, refreshing perspective.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

rebl_rn wrote:Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It's got romance, violence, humor, pathos, a bit of magic, and a sexy Scot in a kilt. What more could you want?
Hey, that was another choice I had in mind. I had heard it recommended somewhere and then I found it in the Romance section of the bookstore---not a section I would normally be found in. :lol: I thought "No way am I going to read something from the Romance section." But I got the first one and I couldn't rest until I'd read them all. Mercy! The story really is good, the writing not bad at all, you do learn something about Scottish history, and I can't imagine any woman not falling in love with Jamie. :)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Any volume of The Great Big Bathroom Reader. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:
rebl_rn wrote:Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It's got romance, violence, humor, pathos, a bit of magic, and a sexy Scot in a kilt. What more could you want?
Hey, that was another choice I had in mind. I had heard it recommended somewhere and then I found it in the Romance section of the bookstore---not a section I would normally be found in. :lol: I thought "No way am I going to read something from the Romance section." But I got the first one and I couldn't rest until I'd read them all. Mercy! The story really is good, the writing not bad at all, you do learn something about Scottish history, and I can't imagine any woman not falling in love with Jamie. :)
The whole series made me ill. I had to skip a whole chunk of the first one and part of the second. All the horror and unpleasantness . . . now I'm afraid to read any more for fear they'll burn to death in that cabin in North Carolina. If I don't read any more, they'll never die.

However, if you like that one, you'll probably LOVE Lynn Kurland's series. It's lighter, but it's historical-ish time-travel as well. Handsome Scottish lairds, kilts, castles, ghosts, horses, treacherous Fergusons, and a plethora of other charms. Happy endings, too. Not to be missed. Not truly necessary to read in order.

Along those same lines -- decent writing, interesting plots, humor -- is the Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning. This series is noteworthy for being incredibly . . . uhh . . . luscious. Very luscious. A real treat, ladies, if I do say so myself. Kilts, Druids, and Fun. Capital F fun. Should read in order.

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series is worthwhile. Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer on steroids. One of them wears a kilt. One of them has a pet winged dragon-like creature which resides on his skin as a tattoo, when it isn't causing endless trouble looking like a human female in red spandex and using his credit card to buy cute shoes and diamonds on QVC. Read them in order, as the plot builds. Never an unhappy ending there, either.

I truly enjoy Linsay Sands' vampire series. Very light and funny--none of the typical gruesome vampire bit. These vampires are genetically so, very much alive, not dead, requiring fresh infusions of blood, for which purpose they now operate a chain of blood banks. No neck biting unless absolutely necessary, and then it's never more than a nibble. They have issues, however, finding suitable mates among the non-vampire population. Single White Vampire is the title of one of them. Recommended. Not necessary to read in order, but it helps.

Gentlemen, if you're still reading, have you noticed the emphasis on kilts? This is significant. Take note: A striking percentage of contemporary females have a thing, shall we say, about kilts. You wouldn't think it, but the application of a kilt turns the male form into a thing delightful to behold. Viewing it has much the same effect on the female brain as does chocolate. It stimulates the pleasure centers, sending little arrows of delight just everywhere. Mmmmm . . .
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The DaVinci Code is worth reading if you haven't yet.

Turtle
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Hmmm, if cheating is really not allowed and I can only give one suggestion:

Shikasta - Doris Lessing

It becomes even more mind expanding if you think that that book tells more about the history of the human race than any history book you'll ever read :-)

These are reports of an emisary from another civilisation visiting Shikasta (planet Earth) through different stages of 'development'...
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Cheating:

I recently re-read 'A Million Little Pieces' by James Frey.
Truely awesone account of human willpower.
Very raw and very moving.
(waiting for delivery of his second book 'My Friend Leonard')

When I'm depressed The House at Pooh Corner always cheers me up...
but that's just me :D
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

A Confederacy of Dunces.

I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Thanks for all the great suggestions thus far! I've read The Dark is Rising books, The Golden Bough, the Outlander books, part of DaVinci Code (had to give the borrowed copy back before I had a chance to get very far), and I too like to peruse the dictionary, but all the rest are new to me. I sense a trip to the library is around the corner. Yay, rejuvenated brain cells!! :)

~Ad
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

C&F

Although you can skip the political chapters, which is handy.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

If you haven't read it already, The Spiral Dance by Starhawk. Very mind expanding.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

amar wrote:Image
My daughter gave me that book. I'm not sure exactly what she was trying to tell me. Maybe she was suggesting a new career as there have professional farters who could "play" simple tunes by farting. Since I'm retired I don't really need a new career but maybe some of you out in whistleland could take it up.

Steve
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

My suggestions....
lets go for the obvious first....the entire Sherlock Holmes cannon by A.C. Doyle!!!! :D Not what many might consider mind expanding, but if you read them enough you take away a few new skills...

Also fun is the How Green Was My Valley series by Richard Llewellyn...
How Green Was My Valley
Up, Into the Singing Mountain
And I Shall Sleep
Green, Green My Valley Now

If you're in the mood for some lighter fiction, The Lord of the Rings is always one of my quick-read favorites. There are new lessons to be had with each reading--I try to get through it at least once every year.

That's if you like some fiction...

If you fancy a bit o' non-fiction, I just read 1776 by David McCollough last month...even if you're not an American, it's and interesting character study into George Washington and the near failure of the American Revolutionary War campaign of 1776.

If you like a bit of technical drivel, Tuning the A-Series Engine by David Vizard is most educational, even if you don't own a car with an A-series engine (Mini, A.H. Sprite, MG Midget, MG Metro, about any Austin/British Leyland car 1960-1980) it's still very educational if you want to know a few things about internal combustion engines...
as far as auto tech manuals, David Vizard is probably the most knowlegable author out there.

(Edited for deferred spelling)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
energy

Post by energy »

Lambchop wrote:Gentlemen, if you're still reading, have you noticed the emphasis on kilts? This is significant. Take note: A striking percentage of contemporary females have a thing, shall we say, about kilts. You wouldn't think it, but the application of a kilt turns the male form into a thing delightful to behold. Viewing it has much the same effect on the female brain as does chocolate. It stimulates the pleasure centers, sending little arrows of delight just everywhere. Mmmmm . . .
Strange; women look better in pants, and men look better in skirts. Who'd a thunkit.

I recommend Home From Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler, if you want some non-fiction. Kunstler makes a good argument for profound change in American design philosophy.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6