5000 C&F Users! Let's Party!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Another thing to celebrate tomorow night for sure :D I have collected quite a few reasons for toasting by now. First my 1000th post, then the 5000th member, and a whole bunch of other reasons unrelated to this site of course.

Cheers! :party: :party: :party:
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

happy birthday...?
Henke

Post by Henke »

amar wrote:happy birthday...?
To me? No birthday yet for a few months. Who needs so strong reasons to celebrate?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Nah. Henke's got one of those emails from Nigerian Barristers and is of course following the instructions "Please do not circumvent this information, please handle it discretely..." so he doesn't jeopardize his chances of this wonderful opportunity! :party:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Bor

Post by Bor »

I wanted the huggily welcome by peggychop but got up too late this morning. Just my luck innit?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Shame. 'Fraid you'll have to make do with a Bor-ing standard "Welcome to the board!" :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
MommaTune44

Post by MommaTune44 »

Well well well...this is where the "party" is. I must say that I feel quite honored to have this much response to being the 5000th member. I guess a speech is in order...

Four score and seven years ago...no that won't work. :)

I have a dream, that one day...nope, scratch that. :D

A date which will live in infamy...close enough! :lol:

Anyways, thank you all so much for your loving welcomes. Perhaps it's an omen...for me to learn the tin whistle. Maybe we can find out once and for all if you can or can't teach an old dog new tricks. But (Stereotype: Musical instruments=$$$) what do tin whistles go for? I never really saw my son's price tag(s) when he bought his whistles. I do remember what he tells people though, to start off with a C first, then move on to D.
Last edited by MommaTune44 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember...always use "sense of common!"
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bor wrote:I wanted the huggily welcome by peggychop but got up too late this morning. Just my luck innit?
Sock Puppet!!!
(sorry, maybe I'm overreacting)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

MommaTune44 wrote:But (Stereotype: Musical instruments=$$$) what do tin whistles go for? I never really saw my son's price tag(s) when he bought his whistles. I do remember what he tells people though, to start off with a C first, then move on to D.
Mostly it's recommended to start with the D. Prices vary, but you can get good ones for less than $10 US (Generations vary between £2.99 and £3.99 on this side of the pond). The stereotype doesn't really apply to whistles if you don't want it to, and even then the "top end" whistles are cheaper than the likes of guitars, flutes or fiddles. :)
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

MommaTune44 wrote:But (Stereotype: Musical instruments=$$$) what do tin whistles go for? I never really saw my son's price tag(s) when he bought his whistles. I do remember what he tells people though, to start off with a C first, then move on to D.
Tin whistles can go for anything from $3 (a Meg whistle) to several hundred dollars, depending on what you're looking for and how afflicted you get with the "just one more whistle" bug. If you want to play Irish music you will need to get a D whistle. Unless you want to play lots of things in C there's not much need for a C whistle as a beginner - a C is slightly longer than a D whistle but you play them the same way (just different keys)

If you got some Meg whistles you could get both and experiment. ;)
MommaTune44

Post by MommaTune44 »

Oh I've seen my son play those Irish songs. I am amazed at how his fingers don't get tied into knots! I get heacaches just thinking about how he does it. No, I think the more down-to-earth songs like Christmas carols, little tunes here and there. (My son plays a version of the Lullaby that could put an insomniac to sleep!) If I do decide to talk up the tin whistle, I think the hardest song i would learn would be either the American Patrol, or the William Tell Overture. :)
Remember...always use "sense of common!"
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

MommaTune44 wrote:If I do decide to talk up the tin whistle, I think the hardest song i would learn would be either the American Patrol, or the William Tell Overture.
And will you use a bodhran for the cymbal parts? ;) (Irish musical instrument joke)

Susan
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

MommaTune44 wrote:Oh I've seen my son play those Irish songs. I am amazed at how his fingers don't get tied into knots! I get heacaches just thinking about how he does it. No, I think the more down-to-earth songs like Christmas carols, little tunes here and there. (My son plays a version of the Lullaby that could put an insomniac to sleep!) If I do decide to talk up the tin whistle, I think the hardest song i would learn would be either the American Patrol, or the William Tell Overture. :)
or maybe Flight of the Bumblebee?

But why stop at whistle? Guitar, concertina, fiddle, flute, accordion, uillean pipes, bodhran, banjo, djembe, harp, etc.... they all get their fair share of finger mangling on this forum!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
TomB

Post by TomB »

jsluder wrote:Image

Hmm, I'm not sure what you meant here. :-? :-?

Can you bring the beer? :party:

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"