Water Freezes Because God Wants It To

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Maybe evolution exists because God created it.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
missy

Post by missy »

American Chemical Society motto:

"Better Living Through Chemistry!"

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:American Chemical Society motto:

"Better Living Through Chemistry!"

Missy
I can't help but be disturbed that a food company would need a staff of chemists. I don't like thinking of chemicals and food at the same time. :boggle:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

aw - heck - fly - we used to have chemical engineers baking cookies here!

And you know, depending on your definition of "chemical" - ALL food products are chemicals, since they are made up of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and other assorted elements, put together in unique ways to make the unique food.

Missy
Missy

emmline

Post by emmline »

Flyingcursor wrote:... which leads me to believe Bloomfield is having a little fun. It's not Bloomfield's normal style.
Golly apples Fly! Did you miss that whole Lorna the Jungle Queen thread a while back? (Pre-divestiture)
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

missy wrote:we used to have chemical engineers baking cookies here!
Ingredients:

1. 532.35 cm3 gluten
2. 4.9 cm3 NaHCO3
3. 4.9 cm3 refined halite
4. 236.6 cm3 partially hydrogenated tallow triglyceride
5. 177.45 cm3 crystalline C12H22O11
6. 177.45 cm3 unrefined C12H22O11
7. 4.9 cm3 methyl ether of protocatechuic aldehyde
8. Two calcium carbonate-encapsulated avian albumen-coated protein
9. 473.2 cm3 theobroma cacao
10. 236.6 cm3 de-encapsulated legume meats (sieve size #10)

To a 2-L jacketed round reactor vessel (reactor #1) with an overall heat-transfer coefficient of about 100 Btu/F-ft2-hr add one, two, and three with constant agitation.

In a second 2-L reactor vessel with a radial flow impeller operating at 100 rpm add four, five, six, and seven until the mixture is homogeneous.

To reactor #2 add eight followed by three equal portions of the homogeneous mixture in reactor #1. Additionally, add nine and ten slowly with constant agitation. Care must be taken at this point in the reaction to control any temperature rise that may be the result of an exothermic reaction.

Using a screw extrude attached to a #4 nodulizer place the mixture piece-meal on a 316SS sheet (300 x 600 mm). Heat in a 460K oven for a period of time that is in agreement with Frank & Johnston's first order rate expression (see JACOS, 21, 55), or until golden brown.

Once the reaction is complete, place the sheet on a 25 deg. C heat-transfer table allowing the product to come to equilibrium.
missy

Post by missy »

avanutria - you forgot this part:

Maillard Reaction

Maillard reaction is a type of non-enzymatic browning which involves the reaction of simple sugars (carbonyl groups) and amino acids (free amino groups). They begin to occur at lower temperatures and at higher dilutions than caramelization.

Chemistry of the reaction

An outline of the Maillard reaction is given in Figure 1. Maillard reactions have three basic phases. The initial reaction is the condensation of the carbonyl group of a reducing sugar (aldose) with a free amino group of a protein or an amino acid, which loses a molecule of water to form N-substituted glycosylamine (Step A). This is unstable and undergoes the "Amadori rearrangement" to form "1-amino-1-deoxy-2-ketoses" (known as "ketosamines") (step B). The ketosamine products of the Amadori rearrangement can then react three ways in the second phase. One is simply further dehydration (loss of two water molecules) into reductones & dehydro reductones (step C). These are essentially "caramel" products and in their reduced state are powerful antioxidants. A second is the production of short chain hydrolytic fission products such as diacetyl, acetol, pyruvaldehyde, etc (step D). These then undergo "Strecker degradation" with amino acids to aldehydes (step E) and by condensation to aldols, or they may react in the absence of amino compounds, to give aldols and high molecular weight, nitrogen-free polymers (step F). A third path is the Schiff's base/furfural path. This involves the loss of 3 water molecules (step C), then a reaction with amino acids and water. All these products react further with amino acids in the third phase to form the brown nitrogenous polymers and copolymers called melanoidins (step G). These can be off flavours (bitter), off aromas (burnt, onion, solvent, rancid, sweaty, cabbage) or positive aromas (malty, bread crust-like, caramel, coffee, roasted). Step H in Figure 1 illustrates a direct route to fission products from N-substituted glycosylamines, without the formation of an ARP (Amadori rearrangement product)..

Temperature and time

Studies of model systems showed that an increase in temperature and/or time of heating resulted in increases in colour development, the carbon-to-nitrogen ratio and the degree of unsaturation and the chemical aromaticity.

Composition of the system

Pentose sugars (e.g. ribose) react more readily than hexoses (e.g. glucose) which, in turn, are more reactive than disaccharides (e.g. lactose).

Of all the amino acids, lysine results in the most colour in the Maillard reaction, due to its Î -amino group; cysteine results in the least colour. Therefore, foods containing proteins that are rich in lysine residues (e.g. milk proteins) are likely to brown readily. The sugar-to-amino-compound ratio also influence the amount of colour produced. For example, a glucose-glycine model system containing 65% water and stored at 65oC showed a rapid increase in colour formation as the glucose-to-glycine ratio was decreased (e.g. from 10:1 or 2:1 to 1:1 or 1:5). In foods, attempts to prevent the reaction should be directed towards removing one of the reactants: the amino compounds (for carbohydrate-rich foods) or the reducing sugars for protein-rich foods.

Water activity

Figure 1 shows that water is produced during the Maillard reaction. Thus, as a consequence of the law of mass action, the reaction occurs less readily in foods with a high aw value. In addition, the reactants are diluted at high aw values while, at low aw, the mobility of reactants is limited, despite their presence at increased concentration. In practice, the Maillard reaction occurs most rapidly at intermediate aw values (0.5-0.8), and aw is of most significance to the reaction in dried and intermediate-moisture foods (IMFs), which have aw values in this range.

pH

Low pH values (£ 6) favour the formation of furfurals from Amadori rearrangement products, while the routes to reductones and fission products are preferred at a high pH (> 6). However, in practice, the effect of pH is not this clear cut, and reactions take place by all three pathways, with the pH of the system influencing the ratio of products formed. For sugar-glycine systems the descending order of color development at pH lower than 6 was xylose > fructose >glucose >lactose > maltose; at pH 6 the order was xylose > glucose > fructose > lactose > maltose. This suggested that in Maillard browning the rate of color development is not directly related to the structural stability of the sugars.

http://www.agsci.ubc.ca/courses/fnh/410/colour/3_82.htm

Missy
Missy

FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

missy wrote:avanutria - you forgot this part:

Maillard Reaction

Maillard reaction is a type of non-enzymatic browning which involves the reaction of simple sugars (carbonyl groups) and amino acids (free amino groups). They begin to occur at lower temperatures and at higher dilutions than caramelization.

Chemistry of the reaction ...

I spent a week on this in grad school
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:... which leads me to believe Bloomfield is having a little fun. It's not Bloomfield's normal style.
Golly apples Fly! Did you miss that whole Lorna the Jungle Queen thread a while back? (Pre-divestiture)

I musta missed it. Sad.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Walden wrote:The lampooning of the very idea of intelligent design (and boycotting of the Kansas government's hearing of the matter) is pretty hard evidence that the "establishment" is indeed very closed minded and egotistical on this matter. Yes, yes, "I work with it every day, and it is a daily fact of life" is a great argument. . .
I have no problem with intelligent design (aka guided evolution); in fact I have many colleagues who believe in it. I'm not sure it should be taught as science, though. On the other hand, I don't think evolution should be taught as though we know everything about it, nor that we understand how it works, nor that there aren't many points of debate.

But there are too many zealots out there. I've heard more than one "expert" say, "Evolution is the most tested theory in the history of science." That's a load of crap. There is almost irrefutable evidence for it, but it's something that really can't be tested as I understand the word test. What tests have been done? (Relativity is a theory that has been tested: experiments have been designed, the results have been predicted, and the results have agreed with the theory.) If it's such a good theory, and we know God has nothing to do with it, why are there such gaping holes in our understanding? How come evolutionary biologists can't agree on how it happens? Why haven't we been able to discover the missing link? I think people who claim to know everything there is about evolution and refuse to give the other side the time of day do a disservice to their field and its perception by the populace as a whole.

I think if these questions were brought up in the teaching of evolution, those in the intelligent design camp wouldn't have such issues with the way evolution is taught. I really don't think it would hurt our youth if they were told that some scientists believe that evolution is gradual, some think it happens in bursts, some think there's a "higher power" involved; the truth is we really don't know for sure. Heck, I didn't believe in atoms, and when I voiced my skepticism to my junior high science teacher, he thought it was a perfectly healthy attitude. And I work with them now, so it obvoiusly didn't hurt me to have a teacher who said it was valid not to believe in atoms till I convinced myself.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

gonzo914 wrote:Good gawd, Bloomfield, don't leave stuff like that laying around out in the open, or the gaping primates out in western Kansas will find it and put it in their mouths and then hack it back up at a school board meeting.
LOL!!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

FJohnSharp wrote:
missy wrote:avanutria - you forgot this part:

Maillard Reaction

Chemistry of the reaction ...

I spent a week on this in grad school
Man...first 32F, now "Maillard Reactions". So browning isn't miraculous; just wait 'til your inevitable meeting with your Keebler elves. There will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth, I can tell you.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Cranberry wrote:I don't know a single person who disagrees that water freezes at 32º F.
*raises hand*

Actually, altitude (atmospheric pressure) is a factor. It's simple...
The result for the specific case of the change in the melting point of a substance is given by:
d T/T fusion = [DV fusion / DH fusion] x d P, where d T, and d P are the change in the temperature and pressure respectively, and DV fusion, DH fusion and Tfusion are the change in the enthalpy (the heat absorbed or given off), the change in volume, and the melting point of the substance at 1 atmosphere applied pressure, respectively. Note that DH fusion is always positive -- to melt a substance always requires input of heat energy; DV fusion is usually positive, but is negative for water. For solids and liquids d T/T fusion is very small.
Anyway, isn't where the world came from and where it will go irrelevant? I mean, here we are, and we can't change it - so why all the fuss? :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Martin Milner wrote:Maybe evolution exists because God created it.
I'm not sure if you're serious....but that's kinda what I believe.
Jack

Post by Jack »

DaleWisely wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:Maybe evolution exists because God created it.
I'm not sure if you're serious....but that's kinda what I believe.
I don't think he was serious.