Survey question: your first whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

* What was your first whistle? ---- A Feadog brass D

* How did you acquire it? ---- Bought from a stall at a World Music Festival that takes place annually in a small town near our village.

* Do you still play it? ---- That actual whistle got broken, but I play my nickel Feadog D and C whistles every day.

* Would you recommend other beginners start with it or do you know better now? ---- I think they'd do fine with a putty-tweaked Feadog and a bit of advice on breath technique, but 'out of the box' and without guidance a Sweetone would be easier.

* How long before you bought your second whistle? ---- 6 months.

* Approximately how many whistles do you own now? ---- About 40, I think.

* How many are played regularly? ---- Four played pretty much every day: my nickel Feadog D and C, my Dixon D ABS/aluminium with brass tuning slide and my Doolin 2-piece (with tweaked Feadog mouthpiece) which lives in my pocket.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

First whistle was a Nickel Generation Eb bought in 1976- my mate was going into town to buy Guitar strings,so I asked him to pick up a whistle for me.
Next was a Gen D,I think,about three years later.
Picked up Gen 'C',Bb,'G', Feadog Mk 1 in the 90's,after listening to the Dubliners and the Pogues.
Got a Clarke C bought as a birthday present around this time.
Found C & F four years ago,after thinking about returning to anykind of musical expression.
Discovered that WHOA was a recognised complaint :D
I now have 40+ whistles.
Mostly play Humphreys,Sindts,Busman,Colin Goldie low F,and Copeland brass low D.
That original gen Eb is still probably in my sister's loft somewhere-as I gave it to my nephew when he was a kid (it's probably got a few teethmarks now!).
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
sage

Post by sage »

* What was your first whistle?
Clarke Sweetone "C" (red)
* How did you acquire it? (Recommendation, whim purchase, researched purchase, gift)
Whim purchase, at a cultural festival this guy had a booth selling them. only $14...
* Do you still play it?
Sometimes, I kind of hurt the fipple trying to follow the "Bloody hand whistle" plans. It's a got a nice mellow tone good for slow tunes.
* Would you recommend other beginners start with it or do you know better now?
It wasn't a bad whistle, would definately start with a "D" instead though.
* How long before you bought your second whistle?
About four years. The next was a Clarke Original in "D", then after killing that one trying to "tweak" it to sound less airy got a Clare two part, than a complete set of brass Generations, two "D" Nickel generations, and a Feadog. Last purchase was a Clarke "C" original
* Approximately how many whistles do you own now?
12 or so
* How many are played regularly?
Only my Generation Brass "D" and my Feadog.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

My first whistle was a Clarke C purchased with the Bill Ochs set while shopping at a great toy store in Manhattan, The Enchanted Forest, about 14 years ago. I still love it and still think it's the "whistleiest" of whistles. At that time Clarke was only making C, but I added a D as soon as available and still have several of each. I quickly amassed Gens, Waltons, Faedogs, Soodlums, and Susatos, all of which I still have.

My first high ender was a Schultz Thin Weasel D in cocobolo, purchased from Andy's Front Hall; I still have it as well.

Now I have over 90 whistles. Those that see consistent play are Burke black tip D and C, Sindt C, Abell Bflat, Copeland D and G.

Recommended for a beginner? Stick with the cheapies and try out or order several Gens, Waltons, Clarkes, Faedogs or Susatos.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Heh, I don't know if I should feel odd or special. While reading through the posts I noticed the huge tendency of first whistles being from the "cheapie" genre, all but one actually. They were all high whistles too, mostly high D's.

Why did I make my first comment?

My first whistle was an Overton Low D purchased from a board member. I still have and play that whistle but may be selling it soon since I now have a tunable version.

We have had a lot of fun collecting and trying dozens of different whistles in nearly every key between Bass A and High D from quite a few of the makers from Austrailia to Germany. We got them mostly from board members.

My collection now runs towards the wooden whistles, mainly Bleazey, and Overtons.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tyghress

Re: Survey question: your first whistle

Post by Tyghress »

* What was your first whistle? Probably a Gen, probably unplayed for much of its life. First one that was played for any amount was a Clarke in D with the nice little booklet. I still run across that whistle on occasion and tootle it a bit.

* How did you acquire it? (Recommendation, whim purchase, researched purchase, gift) My first 3 or 4 whistles were whims.

* Do you still play it? Not much...just to prove that it does play.

The Clarke is a good whistle to start with, but mostly because its packaged with a book and a tape or CD and its so inexpensive. But if I were to recommend a first whistle just on its sound and playability, I'd say Gen D.

* How long before you bought your second whistle? I frequently bought cheap musical instruments...the way some people will purchase a notepad or new pen.

* Approximately how many whistles do you own now? Maybe thirty

* How many are played regularly? Ten or so.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Susato High D
*How did you acquire it? (Recommendation, whim purchase, researched purchase, gift)
Bought on a whim quite a few years ago at a great music store in Halifax, Nova Scotia after hearing a lot of Gaelic and Acadian music up there---tried it for a few days and put it away for many years, took it out again about 6 months ago
* Do you still play it?
No, but I still have it. I'm not sure if I will play it in the future.
The Susato was too loud for me. I felt the whole town could hear me trying to play. The high notes sounded very bad to me---sort of shrill and dead---, to the point I could hardly bring myself to practice them. This might well be something a better player could correct. It was a very comfortable whistle and the mouthpiece comes totally apart so you can clean it.
About 3 months, it was a Burke high D brass
3, exactly 3. I recently got a Freeman-tweaked Generation high D
1, the Burke. I haven't really worked much with the Generation. It is very different and I decided to stick with the Burke since I am trying to concentrate on certain things and a new whistle was not helping me with those things.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Clarke Original D, Acorn D bought on same day, about 5 years ago.

* How did you acquire it? (Recommendation, whim purchase, researched purchase, gift)

I was getting really serious about music again after a couple of decades of just playing guitar and singing for my own pleasure. I used to be semi-pro and played keyboards, harmonica and saxes as well as guitar and vocals. I wanted to play a flute like instrument. I also wanted to explore Celtic music and thought whistle the best melody instrument to start with.

* Do you still play it?

I never play the Acorn but still like the Clarke. Other whistles get played more often though.

The Clarke is fine but I'd not recommend the Acorn. I'd recommend that a beginner buy several cheapies and play them all. I'd also recommend that, as they get more serious, they should try tweaking or start to research more expensive whistles.

Disregarding the fact that I bought 2 to start with, it was maybe two months before I bought more whistles, mainly Overtons. Because of my sax background, I could play in familiar styles immediately and I knew I wanted to keep playing.

About 55.

At any given time about ten. I rotate them though. Overton, Generation, Sindt, Waltons, Copeland, Busman all see a lot of playing time.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My first one was one of those Clarke style--hand rolled with a wooden fipple plug-- and sold at a Williamsburg Virginia souvenir shop. Actually my son wanted it so I bought it. For a couple of days I played it more than he, and when we were at Busch Gardens in the Irish section, I bought a beginners set with a Feadog and a book.

I found that whistle very but I kept at it because I found I liked it. I joined C&F and then decided to get a Sausato (at that time, they were all the rave). I discovered after playing the Sausato that the problem with the Feadog wasn't me, it was the whistle. I've picked it up from time to time and it still sucks.

The souvenir whistle is even breathier than a Clarke original, if that's possible.

I currently have, maybe, a dozen whistles, my most recent being an older version Cillian O Briain modified Feadog I got from a board member.

I'd recommend to beginners a Sweetone, which, even though they're not always in good tune, they're easy to play right out of the box.

I play most: Burke session brass D, Gen Bb with Hoover whitecap head, and a decent Oak I acquired during the poison Oak fiasco.

I'm still looking for a really good Gen.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
TinwhistleJulian

first whistle

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Well,my first was a clarke in the old style(not one of the kids whistles) and i got her 3years ago.I still play her,even if I had to repair her sometimes,cause I like the sound of her.she was even used in concerts and productions yet,what i think is a great use field for a cheap whistle that was just imagined for the beginning.
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
Anita's Dad

We're just rank newbies

Post by Anita's Dad »

I'm pretty crazy about Celtic music and my 10 year old daughter is a natural musician so she bugged me into getting her a whistle after having the chance to see a couple of great players (John Williams of Chicago and Niall Vallely of Armaugh.)

Not knowing any better, I got her a Sweetone sporano D and a Jerry Freeman tweaked Clarke soprano D.

We orderd them from Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Mi. USA. (If you're into stringed instruments for trad music- this place is Mecca. My dad left us a Gibson L-48 archtop guitar that was a wreck and Elderly did an INCREDIBLE job of restoring it and cheap, too!)(They sell incredible vintage instruments. Right now they have a MINT 1929 Gibson "Fern" Lloyd Loar F-5 mandolin for a mere $80,000.... http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4253.htm) But I digress-

Recommend for newcomers? I dunno, they both play pretty easy. The Clarke doesn't sound as much better than the Sweetone as we had hoped, but heck they we're both cheap.

We just order the Whistle CD -ROM tutorial from Mad for Trad with Brian Finnegan from Flook.

Now she's bugging me for a low D.

With the collapse of the US dollar the exchange rate is gruesome!

Niall told us that knowing my daughter I should just give in and buy her a Copeland.... <groan>
BillChin

Re: We're just rank newbies

Post by BillChin »

Anita's Dad wrote:I'm pretty crazy about Celtic music and my 10 year old daughter is a natural musician so she bugged me into getting her a whistle after having the chance to see a couple of great players (John Williams of Chicago and Niall Vallely of Armaugh.)

Not knowing any better, I got her a Sweetone sporano D and a Jerry Freeman tweaked Clarke soprano D.

We orderd them from Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Mi. USA. (If you're into stringed instruments for trad music- this place is Mecca. My dad left us a Gibson L-48 archtop guitar that was a wreck and Elderly did an INCREDIBLE job of restoring it and cheap, too!)(They sell incredible vintage instruments. Right now they have a MINT 1929 Gibson "Fern" Lloyd Loar F-5 mandolin for a mere $80,000.... http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4253.htm) But I digress-

Recommend for newcomers? I dunno, they both play pretty easy. The Clarke doesn't sound as much better than the Sweetone as we had hoped, but heck they we're both cheap.

We just order the Whistle CD -ROM tutorial from Mad for Trad with Brian Finnegan from Flook.

Now she's bugging me for a low D.

With the collapse of the US dollar the exchange rate is gruesome!

Niall told us that knowing my daughter I should just give in and buy her a Copeland.... <groan>
Welcome Anita's Dad.

A low D might be too much hand stretch unless your 10-year-old daughter has long fingers for her age. Some other options might be a Bb or Low G whistle, or a keyless Irish flute such as a Tipple or Phi-Flute (both under $100 new). If you are open to used instruments, whistles of all types come up for sale fairly frequently on this board.
+ Bill
Anita's Dad

Thanks!

Post by Anita's Dad »

Bill,

She's had a chance to play a low D and her hands can just barely manage it. Plus, of course, it takes a LOT more air to play! As she puts it, some high notes she doesn't play, she just "squeeks."

But like I said, she's a very determined young lady, and since Niall plays a low D, she's gotta have a Low D... <sigh>

BTW, Niall and Caoimhín Vallely and Paul Meehan have recorded a new project that will be released in a few months on Compass.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My first whistle was a brass Soodlum or Walton's D.
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

BillChin wrote:The flute forum thread is getting so many excellent responses that one about whistles seems a great idea. (Flute thread:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

* Do you still play it?
First whistle- a blue top nickle Generation Eb I bought about 1973 at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games

I do still play it, it's a great whistle
Since it's an Eb it could be a bit high for some so I don't know that I'd recommend it as a first whistle. Plus, most tutors work with D so the Eb wouldn't be much use for playing along with a cd tutor.
It was probably a couple of years before I bought another whistle- a Clarke(which I still have only because it's the one with the diamond pattern and it's intresting to look at. I also bought around the same time a green top Gen C in brass that is also still one of my favorite whistles.

I've got 7 whistles. I play the Burke Brass Pro Sessions more than any. Next would be the old Gen C and after that it just depends on what I pick up first.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West