Sam Murray and Delivery times

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sam Murray Flute

Post by David Levine »

Most of Sam's flutes are Rudall based-- more like a later Rudall and Carte. They have someof the best characteristics of both Pratten and Rudall-- very open sound, great honk, spot-on tuning. I don't have my micrometer here yet so i can't give embouchure or finger hole dimensions. Sam's flutes are very nicely finished.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
ojvoj

Post by ojvoj »

ImageImage
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

ojvoj --

I notice the blowhole on your Murray looks a slightly different shape than mine; more of an oval whereas mine appears to be more of a rounded-off rectangle. Interesting.... anyone know any history of Sam's modifications over time (mine's about a year and half old, I think)? Regardless, it'd be fun to play them both, but heck, it's fun to play any Murray!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hmm, on second look .... it's hard to tell. But I could just be smoking too much crack. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
eilam

Post by eilam »

cat - crack and flutes, not the best combo :wink:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

eilam wrote:is the embouchure on the Murray the widest (front to back), which one is the narrowest cut?

again, thanks for the pictures of the Three Musketeers :D .
eilam.
And we're all waiting to see your beauties, Mr. Byle, especially that Rudall!

I feel a revival of the Flute lichen thread coming on. (more my speed than Dale-bashing, alas)

Anyway, I'd say the Murray's embouchure is the widest by a wee bit over the McGee. The Hammy's the narrowest. Perceived chimney depth: McGee's the deepest by a touch over the Murray, the Hammy's the shallowest. The Murray seems to have the most dramatic bore taper from crown to foot; it definitely has the smallest bore at the foot end.

Volumewise for those who are into such things: the McGee's the loudest, but not by much over the Murray; the Hammy's the gentleman of the lot (although all 3 are pretty powerful weapons).

Sound: the Hammy's the brightest and clearest, the McGee's the darkest and most basso, the Murray's in a class by itself, able to do both with the best edge, honk, and bark.

Bang, I don't have anything more sophisticated than a tape measure (I doubt a wither stick would be any good as these things aren't horses), but if a tape measure's accurate enough I'm willing to give it a try...

Heck. I don't know, I just try to play 'em. :D
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

eilam wrote:cat - crack and flutes, not the best combo :wink:
:eek:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess at least I'm not smoking the flutes. (yet)
eilam

Post by eilam »

get yourself a Delrin flute for the crack.
glauber

Post by glauber »

eilam wrote:cat - crack and flutes, not the best combo :wink:
crack goes with pipes, usually.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
bang

Post by bang »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Bang, [...]if a tape measure's accurate enough I'm willing to give it a try...
my curiosity is satisfied by David Levine's "Rudall based" estimation. thanks David.
Heck. I don't know, I just try to play 'em. :D
thanks for sharing your player's perspective Cathy. playing is what it's all about.

enjoy! /dan
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks, Dan!

And yeah! Glauber's back! Where ya been, fella?
Desi Mc

Sam Murray Flutes

Post by Desi Mc »

I have read the remarks about Sam's flutes. It has been my privilege to own and play one of Sam's flutes for the past four years or so. He made it for me just before his move to Galway. Once ordered I made one visit to his Belfast premises, not to chase my order but just to meet and have a short discussion with him. He had not asked for a deposit and the flute was delivered by post on time. Obviously I paid on time.
I only wish that I was skillful enough to do this wonderful instrument justice. I'm still striving to do this.

Desi Mc
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

At least you were skillful enough to get a flute out of him without paying a 60 % deposit and waiting for years with no answer to questions !
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Amen, Desi! They're the you-know-what, and every time I play mine I find more and more in it. It's spectacular; just wish I was.
Desi Mc

Sam Murray Flutes

Post by Desi Mc »

Sorry Andrew K but my keyed flute was delivered within six months in a specially adapted camera case. I was certainly worth waiting for. Perhaps you do not speak Norn Iron well enough

Desi