"Wasn't that a great session?"

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

:lol: Cathy!

The enlargement of the photo above - I've just noticed that there's a set of Highland pipes sitting to his left, on the ground.

It makes me wonder if he beat the stuffing out of the GHB piper that tried to upstage him. :x
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Tyghress wrote:an outsider applauding could be seen as intruding on a private conversation.
Yes, exactly! Of course, the volume of a session would be like shouting out your private conversation, in which case you shouldn't complain that others hear it, but still...I prefer to view sessions as private conversations. It's all so confusing...

:boggle:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jeff Stallard wrote:
Tyghress wrote:an outsider applauding could be seen as intruding on a private conversation.
Yes, exactly! Of course, the volume of a session would be like shouting out your private conversation, in which case you shouldn't complain that others hear it, but still...I prefer to view sessions as private conversations. It's all so confusing...

:boggle:
A nice, intimate session last evening at Molly Quinn's: just four of us, and the effect was relaxed, light and sweet, for Marty McHugh set the tone. A private conversation it was, for we played for no one but each other, and it was an opportunity to play all the set dances and marches we could recall off the cuff, which is an opportunity that doesn't present itself every time. Our tightknit little group notwithstanding, eavesdroppers were there, and there was some applause as well as the odd (pun intended) individual coming up and asking questions. Obviously it doesn't matter one bit how I prefer to think of a session when I'm out there in public. The reality is that so long as someone otherwise uninvolved is listening, the thing is only private to a point. And my point in relating this? The music's for the listener, too. Bear in mind that I don't intentionally play FOR the punters at sessions, but I don't see any way around the fact that they're part of the whole moment.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Oh I'm not picking on Turlough; if anything he's a role model! :lol:

I bet he was a million laughs.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Yep, a veritable one-man party machine, bon vivant and the inventor of the -- alas, too-short-lived -- Piobhair Karaoke!

;-)

Sorry, it's almost the holiday. I'll go away now.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
HansW

Post by HansW »

Well, where to start and where to end---
Our sesssion in Glenties in the Highland hotel has all I think it needs to make it a enjoyable night every time around. No telly, lots of space, a few listeners, you would not notice them once it starts, and the most easy-going attitude. It just seems, that time takes a stand still when the tune is played another time around and another time. its mostly fiddles and a few accordians in the background, nobody overplaying, never too fast. there could be anything from 3- 17 musicians joining in, you just never know who arrives at what time. And there is no barman shouting last orders, or it's enough now. Its just the great respect for the music in all of them which makes it a very special place to go to-- everybody wellcome
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm going to jump back to Peter's comment on page 1, and say I totally agree with him.

I played in a jazz band in the 80s around KC, we performed for pay, and for the audience. It was a good time, but it wasn't a session. A session, even without pay, shouldn't be like that - closed to newcomers, performing for an audience as opposed to playing with the other musicians, etc. If it is, it shouldn't be a session but a house/pub band.

Give me a chance to play with friends, meet new folks, have a pint, hear a new tune I want to pick-up, and leave hours later feeling like just a few minutes have passed - that's a session to me.

Eric
brianc

Post by brianc »

brianc wrote::lol: Cathy!

The enlargement of the photo above - I've just noticed that there's a set of Highland pipes sitting to his left, on the ground.

It makes me wonder if he beat the stuffing out of the GHB piper that tried to upstage him. :x
And speaking of GHBs ...

Last night I attended a fairly new session (I'll withhold the 'where' and 'who' to protect the guilty) - where a Highland piper got up and decided to blast away on his pipes - in a small, crowded pub, no less... no invitation, no "Would you mind if I play a tune or two" request... but of course said offender seemed to have brought along his own cheering section of 5 or 6 friends, so I guess that made it acceptable to quash a good session that was in progress. :x
Danner

Post by Danner »

I've never played in a session, but I do play in a Celtic Band. (A "class" at the local university- no limits except 1 yr. experience and a trad. instument) I have been guilty of ruining a couple of tunes, but I think what I play well totally makes up for that. Our instrumentation is as follows:
4 harps (including the director)
1 bodhran (Very good to have because some people have no sense of the rhythm!)
1 mandolin (who we can usually never hear because he plays so quietly)
5 (At last count) fiddles/violins (I think there were six in the summer session :boggle: )
and ME! (on whistle and flute)

It's fun, but not necessarily completely trad. A few of the fiddle players are just beginning (ouch!). The other 3 harps are the director's students. It's a good time, and good experience, but not a session by any stretch of the imagination.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brianc wrote:Last night I attended a fairly new session (I'll withhold the 'where' and 'who' to protect the guilty) - where a Highland piper got up and decided to blast away on his pipes - in a small, crowded pub, no less... no invitation, no "Would you mind if I play a tune or two" request... but of course said offender seemed to have brought along his own cheering section of 5 or 6 friends, so I guess that made it acceptable to quash a good session that was in progress. :x
Sorry, that must've been me. :oops:
brianc

Post by brianc »

No, Joseph, there's no orange groves in my neck of the woods, so you're not the culprit.