Chiff & Fipple and the Last 'Friends' Episode

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

In furtherance of Mr. Weekenders last two posts- I totally agree with you that the plot lines of Monk are suffering, but Tony Shaloob's portrayal of Monk is great- sometimes almost to painful to watch, (or is that "too" painful?? :boggle:

D'Onofrio is the greatest thing going on TV. I think he's an really good actor- did you ever see Full Metal Jacket??

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah. It's funny to see D'Onofrio in other roles (like Full Metal Jacket) now that he IS Gorrin. Perhaps he was the inspiration for the nutty new detective shows, come to think of it. I guess CI preceded Monk, not sure really...Scriptwriting sure helps there, with his encyclopedic knowledge of all things... Genre: Defective Detectives
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Jack

Post by Jack »

A bunch of rich white people sitting on a couch gabbing for 30 minutes never really interested me.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Darwin wrote:This seems like a good place to assert that the best-written TV show ever was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I liked Buffy (and I'm buying the DVDs as they are released),
My very intelligent and wise friend, knowing my tastes in TV(we both were fans of 'the x-files') gave me Season one DVD of Buffy. I had never watched the show as it aired, but I love it now, so I'm buying the DVDs and watching them in order, rather than catching reruns on TV. Lots of fun, very smart, and the only TV show that makes me cry. Sarah is brilliant.
Do you like my avatar?

But the most intelligent comedy that has ever been produced is "Mystery Science Theater 3000." I taped quite a few episodes off the TV, not all movies are available on tape, but there are some fans on the internet who make copies if you need to flush out your collection.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Chuck_Clark wrote:
Darwin wrote:This seems like a good place to assert that the best-written TV show ever was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I suppose M*A*S*H came close.
Yeah, Mike, sure. You just liked watching Buffy.
Nah, it's not just that. Otherwise I'd like She Spies even more.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

jsluder wrote:
Darwin wrote:This seems like a good place to assert that the best-written TV show ever was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I suppose M*A*S*H came close.
I liked Buffy (and I'm buying the DVDs as they are released), but I much prefered the series Joss Whedon created after Buffy: Firefly. Better writing, better cast (IMHO). As usual, Fox TV didn't recognize a good show, and it was cancelled after one season. (The DVD set even has 3 episodes Fox didn't bother to air.)
I wouldn't say that Firefly was better than Buffy, but it was my favorite TV sci-fi show of all time--and I do have the DVDs. Hope Whedon manages to make the movie.

Somebody needs to write a great vehicle for Gena Torres. Her guest stint on Angel after Firefly ended was quite impressive.
Mike Wright

--Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

mamakash wrote:Lots of fun, very smart, and the only TV show that makes me cry.
Heck, it often made me cry, and I'm a tough, macho, retired Army Master Sergeant. :oops:
Sarah is brilliant.
Do you like my avatar?
Oh, that's not really you...?
But the most intelligent comedy that has ever been produced is "Mystery Science Theater 3000."
Never even heard of it. When, and where, was it on?
Mike Wright

--Goethe
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hmmm... I remember Edward R. Morrow, Walter Cronkite "You where there" Gunsmoke, Ed Sullivan Show, Donna Reid Show, Father Knows Best, Palledin, Roy Rogers, Sky King, Dragnet, Wyatt Earp, Leave it to Beaver .....

But never watched an episode of Friends, Simpsons, ER, and won't be watching tomorrow night. Thursday night is session night much better for the health.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
janice

Post by janice »

Emm, I am ssssssoooooooo with you on Northern Exposure. I never missed an episode prior to Rob Morrow's departure (what a hottie).

I still can't understand why ABC canned "Whose Line." It was the funniest show on TV.

And I never miss "Voyager" reruns if I can help it...
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Northern Exposure was great (well, the first two seasons, anyway), and Buffy like totally rocked, but I guess I'll be the strange one who asserts that the best TV series ever was The Prisoner.

Oh, and for the record, Maryanne was way hotter than Ginger.

Be seeing you....
Paul

Post by Paul »

Law and Order is great. It seems like there is always an episode playing somewhere whenever I watch TV.

How about Monty Python's Flying Circus? Oh, and Fawlty Towers! I'll never get tired of those.
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I love ER though I must confess the last few seasons were a bit of a struggle, it seemed as though the writers themselves had become disillusioned with the medical system and life in general. The result was a constantly depressing show that focussed on the unhappiness of all those who worked in the hospital. Thankfully they have brought a bit of light into some of the characters lives and given the show a bit of a boost.

Northern Exposure, One of my favorite all times shows. Brilliant, thought provoking and excentric. I looked it up on the internet and apparently they have 1 season out on DVD and another coming up for release!

Little House on The Prairie, I love that show and the possitive messages imbedded deep within it. My husband on the other side, keeps expecting more people to become blind.

Red Dwarf & Black Adder Addictive!

Laugh Tracks. HATE THEM!!! Do they think we are too stupid to get a joke? Or even worse, that we actually believe they have an audience rolling on the floor laughing? Come on!!! If a joke is funny, let us decide!

Commercials
: NOW they are starting to put text at the bottom of the screen when the shows are on!!! How tacky is that? It is bad enough that I have time to write an entire symphony during the regular commercial breaks!!!

Thank you, that concludes this chapter of Elves and T.V.

Tune in next week when we talk about Video Stores and Rentals...
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

mamakash wrote:
But the most intelligent comedy that has ever been produced is "Mystery Science Theater 3000."
Woo-hoo, that's my fave! You have to have suffered through a lot of bad TV and movies to truly appreciate it. My favorite episode is "Gamera vs Guiron" which I taped several years ago. "Eegah" is a close second and is out on DVD I think.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

JessieK wrote:Ok, I admit it - I LOVE Friends! I've been watching it religiously since the second season.
I felt it went downhill after they got rid of the monkey and started focusing on the humans.
Reasonable person
Walden
Eliezer
antispam: No

Post by Eliezer »

Um, you weren't SUPPOSED to like the guys and gals on Seinfeld.

I actually bought a used TV just to see re-runs of Seinfeld.

Had to, cause when I saw one episode when it was a regular series (the master of my domain show), I thought it was the worst trash I had ever seen. I should mention that I hadn't watched TV since 1978.

The one day, at a friend's house, I saw Seinfeld again, and just as I was about to pompositize, I GOT IT!

Funnier than anything ever - except "I Love Lucy" and "The Phil Silvers Show" ("You'll Never Get Rich"). Doberman looking like a DOBERMAN !

Even funnier that "Car 54, Where Are You?" {The Chinese kid in the locker room teaching the other kid his Bar Mitzvah prayers :lol: :lol: ).