Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cocusflute

New tune

Post by cocusflute »

Here's a new one. Taken from the playing of both Garry Shannon and Fintan Vallely.

Sligo Polka
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Daniel E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Daniel E »

Hello,

recently with the interest of building the flutes (baroque one key)I started trying to learn how to record, I didnt know almost nothing and started with a few clips limited to the 1 minute that the computer has to record, recently searching in the net I downloaded a recording program that im still tryng to understand well, I managed to do 2 recordings experimenting.far from perfect, as always opinions welcomed! since I want to know if my delrin traverso will be liked!

corelli

This was from a sonata with 2 flutes, I havent managed to use that well the program, this is the first flute

handel sonata

this is a sonata from handel,
Daniel E
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

Love that polka, cocusflute. I swear world peace would be close at hand were there more polkas being played!
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
cocusflute

Polkas...

Post by cocusflute »

Thanks. Polkas are the basmati children of Irish music. Many of them aren't known by name. They offer all the fun of a reel with a lot less work.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

My first lame contribution as a beginner - a waltz from Cape Breton

The New Land
Markus

Post by Markus »

Updated my box. The file extensions should now support the embedded player and there's a few new tunes present.

http://www.box.net/shared/4zpem7iiyu

Cheers,

m.
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

I learned how to get my files to support the embedded media player in the box. Thanks SBHikes!

Here is a clip of my playing the bansuri. I'm basically doing a free improvisation based on the Kalyaan mode which is like the Lydian--a major scale with a sharp fourth.

Kalyaan Improv

I don't know much of how to truely play north indian classical music, but I have grasped the sensibilities to a certain extent.
Last edited by Lee Stanford on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

I'm in a bansuri craze. I love bamboo.

Raga Ahir Bhairav Alap

This uses a scale or "thaat" which sounds like a major scale with the second and seventh flat. The fourth or "ma" is a note that should be stressed.
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

"The New Land" should have been bad, there were no comments :oops: :sniffle:

Here's another one
Two-Fifty to Vigo
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

Romulo wrote:"The New Land" should have been bad, there were no comments :oops: :sniffle:

Here's another one
Two-Fifty to Vigo
The New Land isn't bad at all! I like it the best out of the two. (zenzen yokunai!)
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

Markus wrote:Updated my box. The file extensions should now support the embedded player and there's a few new tunes present.

http://www.box.net/shared/4zpem7iiyu

Cheers,

m.
I like that Hop Jig. There's a nice lilt there and that one ascending line in the second part reminds me a bit of "the butterfly." Do you know what I mean?
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

Lee Stanford wrote:
Romulo wrote:"The New Land" should have been bad, there were no comments :oops: :sniffle:

Here's another one
Two-Fifty to Vigo
The New Land isn't bad at all! I like it the best out of the two.

ありがとう :)
Lee Stanford wrote:(zenzen yokunai!)
えええええ :boggle: ほんとうですか?ぜんぜんよくないと言うのはTwo-Fifty to Vigoがぜんぜんよくないと言うことですか?えええ、なんででしょうか?そんなにわるいですか?私にとってまあまあと思ったのに。。。 :sniffle:
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Hello Romulo

I’m guessing one reason there were no comments on the waltz the new land is maybe no one is familiar with it, I don’t know, where did you get it from?
It’s a little hard for me to comment not knowing the tune. The waltz rhythm does not come through strongly. I can tap out a waltz behind it but it seems to speed up and there is not much of a ‘lead’ from the flute. It could be that this tune hasn’t got the beat empathies, which creates the beat for dancers, in the melody but in the backing instruments. It sounds like that from your playing. If so playing it without backing leaves a big hole in it and it will also be difficult IF you are a beginner. It would be better to try a waltz with an easier beat built into the melody. If someone knows the tune they could comment.

I had to Google to find the Two fifty to Vigo, ‘fraid I don’t that also. Found out it’s on Lunsa’s Redwood. I was able to listen to a few seconds clip of it on the net. You’ve made a good job of this. I’m guessing you got it from Redwood? If you listen to it you’ll hear that there’s a big range to how long some notes sound for, i.e. how long you blow them. Your notes are all shortish. Try to sustain the longer notes. The main ‘pulse’ of the notes is fine, i.e. you play them in the correct place, just sustain the longer notes. Listen carefully to this in the CD and how this helps to give the tune a ‘feel’.

You have good command of tone production. A nice touch of ornamentation in the tune. Overall very well done. What style of flute is it?

How about a slightly less tricky tune?

All the best
Kevin
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

gorjuswrex wrote:Hello Romulo

I’m guessing one reason there were no comments on the waltz the new land is maybe no one is familiar with it, I don’t know, where did you get it from?
It’s a little hard for me to comment not knowing the tune. The waltz rhythm does not come through strongly. I can tap out a waltz behind it but it seems to speed up and there is not much of a ‘lead’ from the flute. It could be that this tune hasn’t got the beat empathies, which creates the beat for dancers, in the melody but in the backing instruments. It sounds like that from your playing. If so playing it without backing leaves a big hole in it and it will also be difficult IF you are a beginner. It would be better to try a waltz with an easier beat built into the melody. If someone knows the tune they could comment.
Thanks Kevin. I learned it from Brid O'Donohue, in a session that she kindly allowed me to record some tunes as a good memory of it. She herself learned in Cape Breton when she was invited to play in an event over there.
I've been looking for a recording but haven't found yet. You can found some music sheet at thesession.org, but it seems to be a bit different.

Of course it's not well played, like you said there's not much lead from the flute, however I'm not sure it should be the typical waltz rhythm. When I looked up for some information about the tune, it was classified as a waltz, though even when a fantastic player like Brid plays, it doesn't sound as a waltz to me, but more as a slow air.
Hearing her would help clarify the doubts, but I think it would be impolite(illegal?) to post a clip of her without her permission.
gorjuswrex wrote:I had to Google to find the Two fifty to Vigo, ‘fraid I don’t that also. Found out it’s on Lunsa’s Redwood. I was able to listen to a few seconds clip of it on the net. You’ve made a good job of this. I’m guessing you got it from Redwood? If you listen to it you’ll hear that there’s a big range to how long some notes sound for, i.e. how long you blow them. Your notes are all shortish. Try to sustain the longer notes. The main ‘pulse’ of the notes is fine, i.e. you play them in the correct place, just sustain the longer notes. Listen carefully to this in the CD and how this helps to give the tune a ‘feel’.

You have good command of tone production. A nice touch of ornamentation in the tune. Overall very well done. What style of flute is it?

How about a slightly less tricky tune?

All the best
Kevin
Yes, I could notice I was making the notes shortish, I have the bad tendency to rush (I think many beginners) and just get things blurred, but had tried to record several times before with much more mistakes and since that time was a little reasonable, I decided to post that.

Yes, I listened it at Redwood and I have Lúnasa's Nótaí :P
Never thought I would be told I have a good tone production :boggle: I just have about 1 year of playing, so I'm still toddling the first steps.
It's a Hammy Hammilton flute.

Thanks for the precise advice.
:thumbsup:
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

Found a recording here
http://cdbaby.com/cd/tepperduffy

It's the seventh track. It's just strings: harp and guitar and you can hear more clearly the waltz rhythm than in my lame playing. However, the version that I have listened on flute was more slow paced than that. Probably it was just modified to a slow air, though tunes on the harp do sound faster to me.