Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Lorenzo... Awesome!
Do you have more pictures?
Something showing the drones and bottom of the regulators?
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

I don't have a pic of the full set right now, but I may take some later. I have 3-4 pics of upper/middle/lower section. I've emailed them to several C&Fers already who have expressed interst. Just send me an email and I'll return it with the pictures. I chose the middle shot because, artistically, it seems the most pleasing, but I agree, it needs to show more.

I have also given a detailed assessment of the full set to other Roberts owners, and what all was needed to get them working perfectly, what the inherent problems are, what I did to adjust them, and why I use my old chanter instead of the new one.

In a nutshell, I use the old chanter because I'm use to a fatter feel, and I like the way the fingers lay on the wood blocks (the Roberts only has one block for the Cnat). Besides, I have several great reeds for the old one. The Roberts' chanter is solid sounding, expressive and easy to play, but the bore is smaller--the reeds not even close to being interchangeable with my other chanter, and the volume is quieter in a general sense.

The regs needed adjusting...some keys didn't open up far enough to get a clear note (I had to file off a little metal on the next one above--not noticable, as they were too close to the spring--which needed tweaked). Also, some reg keys were sticky--I had to file off some metal on the sides to loosen them up (again..not noticably). Some middle notes of the baritone and tenor regs needed rushed, but the bass reg is fantastic. This probably could be fixed with better reeds but all reg notes are in tune and clear now.

The bass drone has larger tubing than most I've seen...it's got nice volume, but not unproportionate to the rest...the rest being moderately loud. Great tone too! They are a perfect balance to the large bore chanter I play, and are perfect for playing with the band. I wish the regs were louder sometimes but, would rather have them quieter than louder, and that's the way it should be in my opinion.
tok

Post by tok »

lorenzo , the fun part is when they are listening , even when the regs are quiet . :)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Here's a full shot of the pipes. You might notice that the Cnat key is missing from the bass reg. I took it off because it's my least favorite, and also, so I could lay the wrist across the remaining two--the A and the other Cnat. The way the shutoff switch is located, it's hard to squeeze the wrist in there accurately when you just want the two high notes. I can see why Paddy Keenan has a bent switch that straightens up higher on the mainstock.

The photo is a little blurry, but I thinks it's the whites, brights, and lights on the nickel-silver and imt. ivory that's causing it (even taken in shade). Guess I'll have to try again.
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Well everyone,

'Just got word from Davy that my pipes are done! He put a pic up at his website. Man, they look amazing, although, I'm of course impartial! :D

www.bagpipeworks.com

Front page, labelled "Deluxe Cocobolo Practice Set."
If Davy says it's ok with him, I'll post the pic here...

-Joey
ojvoj

Post by ojvoj »

Hello
here´s my pipes:
Spillane half set
Rogge Chanter
[img]http://host.bip.net/par.kristoffersson/ ... alfset.jpg
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joey, the pipes look great !
I like that stitched bellows... very traditional.

ojvoj, how long have you had the Spillane drones? this is rare and a much appreciated picture. Is the bag synthetic?
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Very nice pipes Joey, I'm currently waiting for a similar set from Davey,but in English Holly(just passed the first month since placing my order!)- a recording I heard on this site made my mind up for me.Is there any particular reason you chose Cocobolo,apart from the look?-very nice wood,I own a turned bowl made in Cocobolo.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
ojvoj

Post by ojvoj »

Hello Tony,

Yes, the bag is synthetic. My friend Jorgen Fischer make them for me
I prefer synthetic bags because there´s more feeling in them.
There´s more pic on my webbpage
Last edited by ojvoj on Mon May 09, 2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Hey Kevin,

Actually, you're right, the first reason I chose Cocobolo was the look....so sue me :D ! There's such a great grain to that wood... I guess you could say I based the materials on a set made by Andreas Rogge that I've always REALLY liked the look of - there's a picture of it on his website...('don't have the link off-hand).

Then I heard that Cocobolo was a sort-of midline tone - not too biting, not too muffled, which definately agrees with me for my first go. I think for my next chanter (b), I'll be going with English Holly, too, though, because I lean toward the mellow sound myself...

Sorry about the long-winded answer...

Did you order a practice set from Davy? Or half?
Joey
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks for the reply Joey-I just checked out that Rogge set-NICE! I've ordered the practice set to begin with-got to learn to 'walk' first!,though if I put in sufficient hours to actually get to grips with U.P.s, I do hope to add drones at a later date.I've managed to re-negotiate my hours at work,so that from next month I'll be working four instead of five days a week,thus in theory,giving me extra practice time-note to self; NOT extra Internet surfing time! :roll: I do tend to go for the more mellow tone myself-I did wonder about narrow bore D chanters, but decided to settle for a concert chanter to begin with as a 'Greenhorn'.Maybe a flat set in years to come? :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

I am looking forward to posting a picture of my pipes here one day.

-Paul
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Hey Kevin,

'Sounds like we're on the same wavelength. I had originally thought of a narrow chanter, too, but when I asked the question here, the feedback convinced me to go with the concert. It seems like the more versatile choice, and reeds can always be manipulated to sound mellow"er" - you don't necessarily have to sacrifice that volume...or so I was persuaded. I know for a fact that Davy's concert chanter design has a bit wider bore than usual...but from what I understand this helps stability of the second octave more than it affects volume. I tell myself: remember, there's a difference between tone and volume. TONE is what you want mellow, but that doesn't mean the instrument has to be super quiet.

A B chanter is in my future, too. What do you think of the look of that boxwood one on Davy's website? It's growing on me man...

-Joey
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Yeah,Boxwood is supposed to be 'mellow' isn't it? at least Boxwood flutes are (I love Joe Ryan's Boxwood Rudall,which he plays on his 'Tailor's choice' album- Dave Migoya has it listed in his Rudall and Rose catalogue).Is it a trick of the light/my eyes,but do the holes on that chanter look small in comparison to your 'D' chanter? Is this due to the bore of the 'B' chanter or what? I haven't seen any flat sets 'in the flesh'.Explanations to a 'Newbie' anyone?
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

picture of my pipes

Post by stew »

Lorenzo,
That set of pipes of yours certainly put a lot of pipes I've
seen so far to same they look a lovely bit of "KIT" mind
you Tony's Childress set is a cracking looking set also
I'll have a set like yours and tony's one day Lorenzo
do they sound as good as they look do the pipes play OK 8)