HELP!!! advice SKIP HEALYS CHROMATIC KEYLESS FLUTE please

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: HELP!!! advice SKIP HEALYS CHROMATIC KEYLESS FLUTE please

Post by Peter Duggan »

dunnp wrote:Many one keyed flutes were produced well into the eight keyed and post Boehm period.
My point being not that it can't be 160 years old, but it's not a baroque flute if it is...
They were not the same design as baroque flutes
So won't play like one if it's not.
That said many of these are very capable of playing an F nat in the right hands.
:)
But still aren't going to have quite the same small holes (which apparently should be even smaller on a theoretically 'ideal' baroque flute).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

crowld wrote:I think the baroque flute has basically disappeared because it just cannot keep up with quick playing in all keys without loads of compromising via cross fingering etc...
True up to a point--the Baroque flute is probably not the thing to reach for when playing bebop in all 12 key signatures. But that's not really why keys were added to the flute. (In some cases, the keys actually make for more awkward fingerings.) Keys were added for tonal reasons, for a more even sound from note to note and between key signatures. (Some early keyed flutes preserve the one-keyed flute fingerings while offering the new tonal possibilities additional keys offer, for maximum control over tone color and intonation. Late 18th c./19th c. fingering charts can be mind-boggling.) Then the Boehm flute further realized evenness of sound and volume by redesigning the flute according to acoustical principals.

Important also to note that what one generation considers 'limitations' of the instrument were 'features' for another. For instance, Baroque music values and takes advantage of the fact that some notes and key signatures sound more veiled than others. Get to later Classical and Romantic music, and that feature has become a defect. So the design of the instrument is always in conversation with the music being written for and performed on it. (Ardal Powell's 'The Flute' is a wonderful treatise on the subject.)
crowld

Post by crowld »

I think I am way out of my depth here and I apologise. My one keyed flute is a boxwood firth and pond circa 1860 and has a beautiful tone and is lovely but I find it slower than playing a keyed flute for note production. I know it is a simple one keyed flute and I should not have called it a 'baroque' flute. Apologies. The suggestions given have been very good. I would love to see a demonstration of a proficient player. Also, I unlike some, believe in Darwinianism and if there is not a proficient player out there, I will have a sixth digit surgically implanted and prove my inherent superiority.........
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

In the end, it's just about finding the instrument that fits the music (and the player)--so go for whatever makes good sounds.
crowld

Post by crowld »

Yep I will And I think that is very good advice. So I am giving up
on the ten hole quest. Well maybe.....
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Tintin wrote:Important also to note that what one generation considers 'limitations' of the instrument were 'features' for another. For instance, Baroque music values and takes advantage of the fact that some notes and key signatures sound more veiled than others. Get to later Classical and Romantic music, and that feature has become a defect. So the design of the instrument is always in conversation with the music being written for and performed on it. (Ardal Powell's 'The Flute' is a wonderful treatise on the subject.)
Yep, agreed about the 'limitations' as 'features'. And the Ardal Powell book.
crowld wrote:I think I am way out of my depth here and I apologise. My one keyed flute is a boxwood firth and pond circa 1860 and has a beautiful tone and is lovely but I find it slower than playing a keyed flute for note production. I know it is a simple one keyed flute and I should not have called it a 'baroque' flute. Apologies.
No need for apologies. But glad we've got that clarification on the flute now.

:-)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Tintin wrote:
crowld wrote:I think the baroque flute has basically disappeared because it just cannot keep up with quick playing in all keys without loads of compromising via cross fingering etc...
True up to a point--the Baroque flute is probably not the thing to reach for when playing bebop in all 12 key signatures.
True indeed, but there are always exceptions. Well not quite baroque flute
but pre flute and contemporary examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI-h4urm ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmj-g4OQ ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIWVv5u ... ata_player
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
crowld

Post by crowld »

Before I give the skip Healy 10 hole chromatic flute up completely,am I to assume that nobody on this forum can or knows of anybody, who can play this flute in D proficiently??? In other words, is it basically unplayable dream?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Have you talked to Skip?
crowld

Post by crowld »

I did post something on their website some time ago
But did not hear. I will try again
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Directly by e-mail: skip@skiphealy.com
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crowld

Post by crowld »

Will write to him right now. I play most of the time a Skip Healy cookstown ironwood flute with six keys and is, I think sublime, and the best six key flute ever but would love to know if this 10 hole one of his can be played fast, it also has a wonderful tone etc. Many thanks for all the advice. kind regards David
crowld

Post by crowld »

Received a very thorough, thoughtful and encouraging exposition from Skip Healy with numerous sources of players etc. Just what I was wanting, so with renewed vigour will continue with this groundbreaking and awesome instrument. A totally chromatic flute with no keys and a fantastic tone!!!!!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

crowld wrote:Received a very thorough, thoughtful and encouraging exposition from Skip Healy with numerous sources of players etc.
If Skip would care to post his exposition here, I'm sure there are other Chiffboard readers who would be very interested in that information, too.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crowld

Post by crowld »

I am sure Skip Healy would not mind if I pasted his reply. Many thanks for all your input from this forum.

Hi David,

Thank you for your positively GLOWING e mails. Receiving compliments like yours really make me glad I chose to go ahead with my crazy 10 hole flute concept!!

I have just sent you a short video of three musicians playing a trio called "Kristens Hornpipe". From their clothes you can see they are in Military service. They are actually members of the U.S. Army Presidential Honor Guards fife and drum corps called "The Old Guard" (T.O.G.). I am quite proud to say that they have been playing my 10 hole Bb (concert Ab) fifes for the past several years. The switch over has in their words "Revolutionized the sound of our group". They have a drum section (rope tension snare and bass) and a one valve bugle section along with the fife section. They are now able to play complex harmonized arrangements with the fife and bugle section together instead of playing separately as they always had in the past.

Recently they have invested in a 10 hole Eb flute for their special consort. It is the bass instrument being played in the video. This video was shot after about one week of practice with their new Eb flute so the player is still getting used to the feel of it. No easy task as you are well aware!! This is a conical head joint cylindrical body flute with an even larger tone hole size and spread than the D flute you have. This is the one video I have of one of the large sized chromatic flutes that I have readily available.

This Eb instrument is used by a couple of the higher level fife and drum corps in America. The other that regularly uses this Eb flute is called "Middlesex County Volunteers" from Medford, Massachusetts. I'm sure there is a lot of video available on Youtube of "M.C.V' as they are called. They play very complex 3 and 4 part arrangements using my Bb fife, Eb (bass) flute, and also 2 or 3 of my F flutes as well. The F flute is also popular in trad Irish circles (as you probably know) and was typically called a "3/4 flute".

A bit of HFco history for perspective:

I was trained as a maker by Chris Abell, perhaps you have heard of him. A GREAT maker and super guy as well. The prototype Bb parabolic head cylindrical fife was developed at that time. When I opened my own shop I then further refined the concept into the 10 hole Bb parabolic fife. This gained wide acceptance very quickly in America and was adopted by all of the top level groups who specialize in complex harmonies.

My wish from there was to develop a woodwind consort with Soprano, tenor and bass instruments so these great harmonies could be properly utilized. I then developed a parabolic style D and Eb picc, a C fife, an A fife, the aforementioned F flute, an Eb flute, the D flute and am now working on a Bb Bass flute. The F, Eb, and D are cylinder head conical body, the Eb flute a conical head cylindrical body.

I have now recently released a conical body Bb fife and also now a D picc to match. Both also with the 10 hole system. Also new (I know it never ends...) is an extended bore profile D flute. It is a 3 piece instrument with head, barrel joint and body. This thing is a monster! I can now play up to D 4 on this instrument where the original flute maxes out at A 3.

I have also recently developed a new back reaming process for the flute line that has a dramatic effect on the flute. I also have a Cooktown 10 hole D flute and just used the reamer on it this morning. It makes a very big difference in my flute, huge bottom D now and a far more open feel to the instrument. I have also recently change the profile of the countersinking at the tops of the tone holes into a more elliptical style. This also makes it a bit easier to close the tone holes.

These modifications can also be done to your current flute if you wish. If you are interested a trip over may not be a bad idea! Perhaps a more practical solution would be for me to send my flute for you to have a go on and see what you think as well.

My original idea was for the D (10 hole) flute to be the Bass instrument for a "D Consort" with D picc as soprano voice, A fife as tenor, and D flute bass. The D flute (and picc) can both cross the line into trad Irish music as well being used as melody instruments in other musical forms. My goal now is to complete a conical bore profile consort to match my parabolic bore profile consort. Some friends have taken to calling me "Dr Flutenstein" lately with my propensity to create these hybrid instruments. HA! :-)

I'm sure I have some other videos of the Eb flute in action, I just have to find them! I will ask if M.C.V. or T.O.G. also have anything that can be sent to you as well. I will send you some type of recording in the next week or so of me playing the D flute if you would like. Things are a bit hectic here as my wife and I are expecting our first child in about 3 weeks! MORE creating!! ;-)

I am actually located in Wohlen, Switzerland now and you are more than welcome to pop over for a visit sometime if you would like to. It's quite simple by taking Easy Jet to Basel and a train to Wohlen.

I also have a fairly new web site at http://www.skiphealy.ch which though written in German has a large video component which you might enjoy seeing. I would recommend the "Basel Tattoo" videos where I'm playing the keyed D flute and Bb fife with Stuart Samson, one of the greatest highland pipers of all times. I especially recommend the "Band of Brothers" video as well. I'm playing the prototype Conical Bb fife in Cooktown ironwood in these videos. There are also lots of videos of M.C.V. in this Tattoo year as well (Basel Tattoo 2012) on Youtube.

You may also be interested in a teaching course I will be doing next summer in Arosa, Switzerland. It's an amazingly beautiful village in the Swiss Alps. Information is on both of my web sites.

It sounds like you have already done a massive amount of technical work with your flute. Well done yourself! Keep at it... I hope this missive has helped to answer some of your questions...

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

All the best,
Skip

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM, <crowley@doctors.org.uk> wrote:
Dear Mr Healy

I am forwarding this again as I felt I should add that I love your chromatic 10 hole blackwood flute in D, I can play all the scales on it, major and minor and tootle away with almost anything on it. As someone who has spent years looking for this type of 'total' flute unlike the keyed monstrosities that ended up as the Boehm, your flute is the ultimate in free playing with the notes each felt by the finger pads. So all I am asking for is some source or recording of someone who has got proficient on it so I can aspire to improve more. It is the issue with fast placement of the lower end holes that is my problem. D up and down to E quickly. Other than that all keys can be played.

kind regards

David Crowley

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: 10 hole flute chiff and fipple forum
Date: 2014-11-12 19:24
To: skip@skiphealy.com

Dear Mr Healy.

I have two of your flutes. A six key D199, ironwood, which is a beautiful instrument bought several years ago.

I also have a 10 hole flute in D. D258. I have been on the chiff and fipple forum with lots of resultant responses none of which answer my question as to whether anyone has mastered this potentially fabulous instrument. My issue having stretched my reach over months/years to comfortably cover the D flat hole, without much more effort find it very difficult to trill D flat/D E and thus rules out most fast Irish stuff. I am 6 feet 2 and take large gloves. I can play in all 12 keys normally and was hoping this instrument would allow me to do it without keys. To cut to the chase, are there any sources/people on the net etc who demonstrate your flute actually being successfully played, the D one? I do not wish to spend any longer trying if it is not possible and need a ?role model to aspire to.

kind regards