Here's an odd air for ya

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

On 2003-02-14 07:10, kenr wrote:
The opening phrase is chillingly reminiscent of whale songs. Obviously it's a short step to associate this sound with the fairies - hence the name.
And what makes you think that the whales didn't learn the sound from the fairies, rather than the other way around?
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

Yes, I've heard piper Ronan Browne talking about how the impression of that air was taken from whale song resonating off the hard but thin shell of the Currachs (traditional boat)at sea. It's the sort of thing I would love to believe, which is why I'm immediately suspicious of that explination!...:smile:

In truth it was, of course, learnt from the fairies, more specifically, the King of the fairies- he taught it to the Prince of whales.

Regards, Harry.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

On 2003-02-14 18:17, Harry wrote:
In truth it was, of course, learnt from the fairies, more specifically, the King of the fairies- he taught it to the Prince of whales.
I can't decide whether to laugh or throw tomatoes. :lol:
Susan
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Hi James,

What a fascinating approach to this air you had. I admire your spirit of adventure when you learn new pieces. I was really drawn in, especially by the A part.

Thanks, Jim,

Cara
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

It's a lovely air. I find that transcriptions of airs are generally useless. My own personal belief is that the only way to capture the true essence of an air is to hear someone singing/playing it. Perhaps its more an issue of personalizing it oneself? Do you have any recorded sources for this air? if so, I would love to know about them.

Arbo
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Port na bPucai can be heard on uilleann pipes on Davy Spillane/Kevin Glackin's Forgotten Days. I think Paddy Keenan plays it on some recording or other as well?

- Mark
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The most stunning version of this air that I have heard,is to be found on the album 'The Drones and the Chanters, volume two',played by Uilleann Piper, Ronan Browne.
In fact,I would say that I consider it to one of most profound pieces of music that I've heard from a living piper ( in my somewhat limited experience to date)!
I would heartily recommend a listen to it, to any Irish trad. fan.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."