Rudall serial number register up and running

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Re: Rudall serial number register up and running

Post by RudallRose »

i remember a rather lengthy conversation with Patsy over his Rudalls and the lack of desire on his part to list or share the serial numbers, so if you succeed on that front, it's a minor coup. I hope you do!

The same of many many people out there who have Rudall collections (including several well-known names). Most care not for anyone to have any idea of what they own, even if kept private. The largest collection of Rudalls in private hands -- about 75 or so -- sits with one individual who will absolutely not share the details. Clearly their right, but frustrating.

I actually have the #s from one private collection, about 35 Rudalls, with specific instructions not to make the #s public until the collector's death. Go figure. It happens like that.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Nice register that is!

I've got a story about 3801. I owned that flute for a while. D.O. told me Matt Molloy called the flute "The Monster". Quite a good name, I have to add.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"The same of many many people out there who have Rudall collections (including several well-known names). Most care not for anyone to have any idea of what they own, even if kept private. The largest collection of Rudalls in private hands -- about 75 or so -- sits with one individual who will absolutely not share the details. Clearly their right, but frustrating. I actually have the #s from one private collection, about 35 Rudalls, with specific instructions not to make the #s public until the collector's death. Go figure. It happens like that" RudallRose.

Yes, frustrating indeed. I have prehaps the largest collection of Rudalls in Scandinavia. I'm willing to share all details of the two Rudalls in exchange for full disclosure from these other collectors.

"I've got a story about 3801. I owned that flute for a while. D.O. told me Matt Molloy called the flute "The Monster". Quite a good name, I have to add." Gabriel

Thanks Gabriel. Is 3801 very loud, or does it have large holes? Did you buy it new?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

The 75 or so.... Folk with many Rudalls probably include Helen Valenza and Robert Bigio, or is it someone else who flatley :P refuses to share?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

X D
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

brotherwind wrote:Some of the stories are absolutely hair-rising. Hilarious.
Thanks for sharing.
Is there any chance that someone could clip a few tidbits? I'm nosey but I'm lazy.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

jemtheflute wrote:The 75 or so.... Folk with many Rudalls probably include Helen Valenza and Robert Bigio, or is it someone else who flatley :P refuses to share?
Someone else, Jem.

I'm aware of both Helen's (a lovely lady to chat with, btw) and Robert's of course.

Locating these collectors was, to say the least, an adventure.
Getting them to talk, even more so.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You may both, Steampacket and David, be happy to add (if you don't already have it) Rudall, Rose & Carte #6116 to your lists. I met it last night, property of a lady fluter in Liverpool, who had it a good few years ago from the late Conor Moloney (Patsy's brother).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks for that Jem. No, I don't have 6116 on my list. I'll update the list this evening.
Rudall, Rose & Carte 100 New Bond St. / London / 6116 I assume. Was it in good condition?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yes, all present, correct and largely undamaged. Sterling fittings, claw C/C# touches, 2 pewters, crown stamp, not quatrefoil, 2 pewters, shallow saltspoons, standard 8-key. Nice flute in original case (no certificate). I couldn't read the address on poor light. I should be seeing it again in due course to do at least a partial overhaul.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

we may be interested in Metropolitan Museum new add:

Marking:
1) (On leather-covered case) printed certificate of authenticity signed "Rudall Rose & Carte."
2) (on tuning cap) Rudall & Rose/Patentees [around Royal arms]
3) Rudall & Rose/No 1 Tavisstock Street/Covent Garden/London/5213 [last digit not clear]
4) (scratched on metal plaque on case) AHC [or] AHG
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nice list.

I think you may have 4298 mixed up with another flute. Either that or there are two with the same serial number.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Hello Ben, thanks - I got the serial number 4298 from Jem's info in this C&F thread which I refer to
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75342

"The group pictures all show the flutes arranged the same way - I didn't move them at all during the shoot, so with heads at top they are, in age order and from left to right: #2632; #3621 #4298; #4683."

"#4298 is partially overhauled and playable but has some repairs outstanding, not least a bad (but easy to fix) barrel crack - hence the binding and tape as interim reinforcement and sealing. The others are all in full playing fettle."

"The other two also have classic ellipses, #4298s being smallest ..."

But I do see two mistakes I've made, I've copied in "foot joint to B-flat", from another description and 4298 should come after 4235. I'll rectify these and update tonight when I get home after work. Thanks for that. I'd like to include Olwell's, Flatley's and Patsy Maloney's serial number's in the list, but patience is supposedly a virtue
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Ah that's probably it. 4298 doesn't have a Bb footjoint. Helluva flute though. Rich, dark tone. Slightly narrow bore (I'm told).
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Interesting about your bore, I have 5035 (1844/45) and use the patent head on an Olwell Pratten and can get a much more interesting sound, (sweeter, reedy and loud), from the Olwell body, than with the original Olwell head joint. However the 5035 PH & barrel is to big in diameter to fit snugly on R&C 7103 (1892/94). There's around 50 years between the two Rudalls, so I assume different reamers, flute makers.