Opnions on best Sounding Delrin flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Opnions on best Sounding Delrin flutes

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Ok, i will add Francois Baubet to the grid. Absolutely lovely flute! Confirmed by Kevin Crawford, Brendan Mulholland and Marc Löfgren ;)
at 340€ it's a steal! I have owned Forbes and briefly tried a Copley so i do have something to compare with.
i think you ought to listen to these clips:
http://youtu.be/ezpCBCOFkxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NjDq0N ... rSGqicsEyw

Cheers!
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

Have only owned an M & E, a Copley, and a Forbes. With apologies to those who love their M & E's, I found the Copley and Forbes suited me much better. The Copley plays easily with a rich warm tone. It is just a great flute for the money. I have the three piece model with the modern cut embouchure. The Forbes is a bit sleeker, is tunable, and capable of a very nice reedy sound--but it is not as easy to get it going just right. The Forbes' holes are bigger and it is a bit slippery, but it was still a very fine flute. Right now, I just have the Copley and it is all I need in a delrin flute. Wish I were so monogamous when it comes to wooden flutes.
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

Feadoggie wrote:
Gordon wrote:Are we giving opinions on the best sounding Delrins, or on which flute is preferred for its body-type, regardless of Delrin?
Gordon has a very good point there. The Forbes flute is a fine flute. Go for it if you like it. It's not a bad suggestion to actually play the flutes to see how you sound on them. Each flute is going to sound mostly like the player anyway. Some flutes suit some players better than others. If you can't try 'em all then start with a Forbes. Keep it if you like it. Try the others in your travels and sell/trade as you see fit.

I do like the Copley Delrin flutes. I favor the tone of the long foot model with the slide over the three piece model. But the three piece model is a great bargain, IMO, and a nice compact design.
skyspirit wrote:I also vote for a Copley. I also agree with Pat. I have a Pratten as well. Great flute, but a Copley suited me better. Like Pat, oh well.
Hmmm? Is that the three piece Copley I have, Rob? Should we talk?

Feadoggie
Yep, same one. Yes, if you are interested in parting with it? I still have the Somer's Pratten. Sending PM
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Ballygo wrote:I just had a look and listen to Copley, very nice. Did you guys find them easy to play, especially bottom D.

Ballygo
I personally found the Copley to be an easy player.

Hope that helps
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Sirchronique
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Ok, i will add Francois Baubet to the grid. Absolutely lovely flute! Confirmed by Kevin Crawford, Brendan Mulholland and Marc Löfgren ;)
at 340€ it's a steal! I have owned Forbes and briefly tried a Copley so i do have something to compare with.
i think you ought to listen to these clips:
http://youtu.be/ezpCBCOFkxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NjDq0N ... rSGqicsEyw

Cheers!
I will second the Baubet recommendation.

I haven't been at flute playing for very long (roughly 1 year), or tried a great number of flutes, so take it for what it's worth, but I was completely blown away by the Baubet. I intended for it to just be a second flute in Delrin to serve as a backup, to take places I wouldn't take a wooden flute, or for everyday practicing at work. I ended up liking it so much that I think I'm going to switch over to only playing Baubet flutes now, and I'm looking at getting one in mopane.

I'm very happy with it. I don't know how it compares to all of these others, but I think it's fantastic. It's easy for me to play, and most of all, at the same time I feel like I have a much better control over the sound and variety of sound I get from it. Good volume, too (at least as loud as my LeHart, for me), but I am able to get a much stronger low end out of it. I really liked my primary flute very much, so for me to like this more is saying a lot from me. Very pleased with the Baubet! Pretty affordable too, considering what you get, at least as far as I can tell so far.

I was pretty amazed after how much I'd struggled with some aspects of flute playing to just pick this up the first time and hear the sound I was getting out of it. I also thought it was very comfortable to hold, at least for my hand shape.

What most seasoned flute players will like, I don't know (though it seems at least a couple view it favourably, as well!). But, for someone in my situation of being a rather newbie flute player, I can't really imagine being too displeased with it. Pretty snazzy looking, too.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Here is another thumbs up for Dave Copley's flutes. :thumbsup:

I have a Delrin D with the rounded rectangle embouchure, a Delrin F with the elliptical embouchure, and a blackwood D with the elliptical embouchure. All are excellent flutes, very easy to play, good tuning, tone and volume, and a good strong bell note. I prefer the elliptical embouchure to the rounded rectangle, so I'd suggest going that way if you get a Copley.

Jon
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

Dave Copley recommended the modern cut for my delrin and the elliptical for my D and E flat blackwood flutes. He told me that the difference in the materials was the reason why. I think some people really like the elliptical delrin, but I followed his advice and have been very happy with the results. I have no problem going from one to the other.
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Di Mauro Delrin flute it's the best I've ever tried...
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Totally off the C&F radar, but my Fabio Di Natale synthetic R&R is the cat's meow. Mine is voiced in a more baroque fashion, with smaller tone holes and a flexible nuanced sound, though I think his oval embouchure would be more interesting some.

http://www.fabiodinatale.com/en/classici-08.html

I also have a real original Hawkes ebonite flute that I bought from a member here, that is sort of the opposite thing. Huge holes, huge sound, and surprisingly well in tune. Not to mention, while expensive for most ordinary 1880s flutes, also cheap compared to a brand new version. That's assuming you need keys, which I do on a large holed flute.
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

apossibleworld wrote:Totally off the C&F radar, but my Fabio Di Natale synthetic R&R is the cat's meow. Mine is voiced in a more baroque fashion, with smaller tone holes and a flexible nuanced sound, though I think his oval embouchure would be more interesting some.

http://www.fabiodinatale.com/en/classici-08.html

I also have a real original Hawkes ebonite flute that I bought from a member here, that is sort of the opposite thing. Huge holes, huge sound, and surprisingly well in tune. Not to mention, while expensive for most ordinary 1880s flutes, also cheap compared to a brand new version. That's assuming you need keys, which I do on a large holed flute.
Price? Videos? :P