Murray Website

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Normski
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Murray Website

Post by Normski »

If there are so many people trying to use Lorenzo to intercede then something is indeed wrong.

Is there such a thing as Trading Standards office in Ireland where people could contact to make a complaint re non return/ unacceptable delay in return of instruments.

Given the concerns expressed on this and other forums then perhaps people who are considering purchasing a new instrument or having one repaired may thing twice about doing so. Perhaps if orders dry up then things may improve though that does not necessarily help people with instruments already in the system.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

Orders seem to not dry up, as they turn out great sounding flutes. Just a bad situation all together!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

ps I'm over the moon with my Murray flute, and consider myself very fortunate to have a crackin Murray flute!

https://soundcloud.com/kpo-4/flute
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

ps I'm over the moon with my flute, and consider myself very fortunate to have a crackin Murray flute!

Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I have had lots of dealings with Sam over the years. He is a brilliant maker - a wonderful craftsman and as sweet a guy as you'll ever meet. He is a generous man with no malice in his heart. That said, there are issues, as with most things in life. I'm sorry for all the troubles people have had in that regard. It is hard to be understanding and forgiving when you feel as if you are being ripped off. But ripping people off is not what Sam is about, though it might seem so. I hope it all gets resolved in the near future.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Well said!!! Here's to wishing Sam all the very best!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes of course, I didn't realise that a cracked barrel takes four times as long for Sam to repair than it does to make a new keyless flute. :boggle:
After two years have passed I don't expect to get that flute back. I've sent e-mails, posted letters, had a request from Sam to send postage, which I did, to no avail. I've rung Sam's mobile only to get voice mail, until Willie Week this year when the number was disconnected. So I assume that Sam and Sean have repaired the barrel, sold the flute on as they needed the cash and it certainly looks like I've been ripped off by the maker himself.
Sam and Sean if you should read this then ring or e-mail me so we can sort this out.
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by cquick »

I hate to think this but I think that i will never get my flute back.

Bummer!
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Hmm, I have a 4 key Murray which I'd like to get two more keys fitted to in the future. A top flute player friend had a go on it a couple of weeks ago and told me it was a brilliant flute but not to go back to the maker for any work. It was pretty emphatic advice to be honest and valuable too given some of the tales here, which is a terrible shame.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Brazenkane wrote:ps I'm over the moon with my Murray flute, and consider myself very fortunate to have a crackin Murray flute!

Nice rendition of Jolly Tinker. That's a song dear to my heart- it was the first real "rip-roaring" tune I ever learned.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Thanks, Madman!!!!

you might like this...

http://snd.sc/16dHMyv
----

My Murray was a 3 key flute. I wanted a 4th key, but when speaking to Sam I said simply, "...y'know I really don't want to send the flute back for one key (Eb), but I have a reputable person here who could install it." He said... "oh of course don't send the flute back, I'll send you the key."

It was that simple. If you're in need of someone who can install the keys w/the utmost level of professionalism PM me.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

And if anybody is still reading, I have a gorgeous boxwood Sam Murray 6-key with an ivory crown that I will be selling. The price is €1,900. Comes in a protective hard case that Sam provides with his flutes.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I had the same experience with Sam as far as having a couple of keys replaced on mine; he even called me from Belfast on his dime to tell me not to send it back. He's got a heart as big as all outdoors (which might be part of the problem(s)). IIRC, Sam said he was confident there were some terrific makers in the U.S. who could get me sorted out. And indeed, John Gallagher did a lovely job making a couple of new keys. David Copley has also done some great work on it, fixing a socket that had gone slightly out of round over the years and travels between climates as disparate as Ireland and Texas.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Brazenkane and Cathy I'm glad Sam has treated you reasonably regarding keys for your flutes. Sam does make some fine instruments.

When we left my keyless in Sam's workshop on the 4th July 2011 we had a long interesting talk with Sam about flutes, old English flutes, Billy McCormick's Taylor set, and a widow leaving a bag of Rudalls at the Belfast museum back in the day and other stuff. Sam came across as a nice person. This is what makes it all the more frustrating that Sam and Sean won't return my flute even unrepaired as I've suggested. Now Sam & Sean are maintaining radio silence not answering emails or snail mail or the phone. So I'm hoping they may see this here, a letter I sent a year ago:

Murray Flutes
The Old Forge
42A, New Road,
Galway City
Ireland
14th July, 2012

Dear Sam,
I hope you’re well. I couldn’t get to Willie Week this year as my father died recently. I hope you can send me my keyless blackwood flute which I left with you for repair last Willie Week, 2011. You told me then it would take a couple of weeks to fix. The barrel was cracked.
I understand that you have a lot of work on, but could you send me the flute even if it isn’t repaired. I’ll tape the barrel and play it as it is. It is a good flute.
I’ve contacted you by e-mail about this and you asked me to put 20 euros in your bank account and you’d then post the flute to me.
I transferred the money to your bank account 8.002.033-2 on the 29th of February, 2012
All the best
Thomas Johnson
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Mods:

You might want to delete the bank account number from the above post.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV