The most recognisable sound of Uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
DjUntzUntz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The most recognisable sound of Uilleann pipes

Post by DjUntzUntz »

that means that modern flat pipes are still considered as a 'most recognisable sound'? or are they somewhere inbetween the concert pitch and the old style flat pipes?
CHasR

slow day?

Post by CHasR »

of the entire non-deaf, non-uilleann piping, world population;

50% are unmusical, period.
half of those can tell what music is & move to a beat.
half of them like music, but dont know why
half of them take more than a fleeting interest in music
half of them may know a little something about the ingredients of, or tried to make, music
half of them might be able to tell one instrument from another
half of them *might* be able to identify the instrument as a woodwind
half of them *might* be able to identify is as a bagpipe
half of them *might* be able to identify is as an uilleann pipe
half of them *might* be able to tell its a flat set.

so in other words, I.M.H.O....we're really splitting hairs here as to which pipe is the standard-bearer. A wild guess, but i'd think it'd be on the order of , say, much less than 250K non-piping people globally that would even notice, unless theyre put on the spot. (& dont go giving me the math of halfing world population 10 times. we all get the point here, i hope :party: )

For me it's all about application, the right tool for the job. if ya wanna/hafta play in D, ya get a concert pipe, if ya wanna/hafta play in C, B, Bb, etc ya get a flat set. if ya wanna play solo all the time, or make other folks WORK to be able to play with ya, ya get one in C#. etc.

there a tale that circulates in the highland pipe world around parade season every year, about the woman on the sidelines whose kid got so over-the-top excited at the approaching pipeband, screaming at mommy, "What are they? Whats THAT THING?!!? " "Oh, those are called bagharps honey." :boggle: So this is the level of familiarity we;re up against when promoting our instrument.
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

I'd agree with the above that this a fairly piper-centric discussion. I was discussing music with a colleague of mine - a proud Dubliner. I mentioned that I played the Irish pipes. "We have those?" was her response.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

To be honest, the Uilleann pipe sound is not your everyday sound. So I would agree that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a flat pitch set, and a concert set. That is, unless you are musically trained...........

I for sure know that when I just started to listen to the pipes, I could really not tell the difference, other than the pitch being a wee bit lower........
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

DjUntzUntz wrote:that means that modern flat pipes are still considered as a 'most recognisable sound'? or are they somewhere inbetween the concert pitch and the old style flat pipes?
In my opinion modern flat pitched pipes sound different than the older ones (union pipes). It could be that pipers taste in tone has changed over the years and they want a more modern(different) tone from flat pipes, which may well be influenced by concert pitch pipes. Heres a quote from a pipemaker on the subject
" Minor alterations have been made to the chanter bore design in my instrument to give a modern day colour to the timbre of the chanter"
You might even say there are two types of flat pipe players. Liam O'Flynn is a flat pipes player and Ronan Browne is a Union pipe player

But I still think concert pitch is the modern quintessential sound of Uilleann pipes ,not in a small part due to the fact that they are the type of pipes heard on some movie scores but also because of riverdance that has been seen by maybe millions of people.
I also think that the progressive style of some pipers like Davy Spillane and then Barry Kerr and Micheal McGoldrick ,which is very popular with non-pipers is only suited to concert pitch. Flat pitch pipes and the style that goes with it is a very esoteric style mainly appreciated by other pipers.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

rorybbellows wrote:
DjUntzUntz wrote:that means that modern flat pipes are still considered as a 'most recognisable sound'? or are they somewhere inbetween the concert pitch and the old style flat pipes?
In my opinion modern flat pitched pipes sound different than the older ones (union pipes). It could be that pipers taste in tone has changed over the years and they want a more modern(different) tone from flat pipes, which may well be influenced by concert pitch pipes. Heres a quote from a pipemaker on the subject
" Minor alterations have been made to the chanter bore design in my instrument to give a modern day colour to the timbre of the chanter"
You might even say there are two types of flat pipe players. Liam O'Flynn is a flat pipes player and Ronan Browne is a Union pipe player

But I still think concert pitch is the modern quintessential sound of Uilleann pipes ,not in a small part due to the fact that they are the type of pipes heard on some movie scores but also because of riverdance that has been seen by maybe millions of people.
I also think that the progressive style of some pipers like Davy Spillane and then Barry Kerr and Micheal McGoldrick ,which is very popular with non-pipers is only suited to concert pitch. Flat pitch pipes and the style that goes with it is a very esoteric style mainly appreciated by other pipers.
RORY
If you see it like that then I think you're absolutely right. I am not gonna say that youtube is a good source to build my arguement on but if you look at movies, or very familiar tunes such as riverdance, a concert pitch is indeed mostly used. (funny fact: I noticed by coincidence that the concert pitch uilleann pipes is also used in the animated version of star wars, like...loads of times so that's how far it goes to get that specific sound). If i look for flat pipes on youtube I usually see people playing them alone, or with a guitar at a session or a place where people specifically come for that traditional sound. For the untrained non-piper person I think everything seems to be the same though the mostly hear the sound of a concert pitch. (I know I knew only the concert pitch until I started learning/reading up information about the uilleann pipes and discovered there are actually fat pipes like C and B.)

Fred morrison also play a concert pitch on 'many occasions'. one of the first times I met the uilleann pipes, he played them in Alden Biesen, but also Michael McGoldrick plays concert pitch. One of the few pipers that I've seen playing a flat pipes in front of several audiences is Cillian vallely.
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

myles wrote:I'd agree with the above that this a fairly piper-centric discussion. I was discussing music with a colleague of mine - a proud Dubliner. I mentioned that I played the Irish pipes. "We have those?" was her response.
Haha, that must've been ackward.
myles

Post by myles »

DjUntzUntz wrote:Haha, that must've been ackward.
Yeah I definitely sensed a few tumbleweeds blowing past in the following silence.

I guess repertoire and phrasing would probably stand out more to the layman than the pitch of the pipes being used. A lot of non-pipers would, I think, appreciate a bit of modern, soundtrack-friendly legato-type piping with some other instrumental accompaniment whereas if they were faced with R L O'Mealy pippety-popping away to the backing of his regulators they might just be baffled - much as the latter appeals to anyone wrestling with the complexities of the instrument. Most people probably couldn't tell if something was played on a "real old Egan" or a concert chanter with a bore like the Channel Tunnel.
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

I guess repertoire and phrasing would probably stand out more to the layman than the pitch of the pipes being used. A lot of non-pipers would, I think, appreciate a bit of modern, soundtrack-friendly legato-type piping with some other instrumental accompaniment whereas if they were faced with R L O'Mealy pippety-popping away to the backing of his regulators they might just be baffled - much as the latter appeals to anyone wrestling with the complexities of the instrument. Most people probably couldn't tell if something was played on a "real old Egan" or a concert chanter with a bore like the Channel Tunnel.
I think you have just summed the discussion up perfectly. I'd hazard to add that every listener of music wants to be moved emotionally first. Does the music stir up something inside them, does it make them want to tap their foot. If it is good music that will happen regardless of the chanter's key, pitch, length or girth! The appreciation of specific piping technique is more a cerebral process that people with a deeper understanding of the piping enjoy.

I agree with Myles that the style of piping has a bigger influence on people, and how accessible the instrument/music is to them. The legato style is perhaps more closely connected to concert chanters... I'll stop here... I think I'm still on topic!!

a bore like the Channel Tunnel
Ha!
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

The "oink" sound when the blowpipe valve is juuuust right :D.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

myrddinemrys wrote:The "oink" sound when the blowpipe valve is juuuust right :D.
For some unfortunates its this guy.Saying that ,his control of feedback is amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3nLeHoXz_I

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

rorybbellows wrote:
myrddinemrys wrote:The "oink" sound when the blowpipe valve is juuuust right :D.
For some unfortunates its this guy.Saying that ,his control of feedback is amazing

RORY
Best investment in a full set i've ever seen to be honest.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

rorybbellows wrote:

RORY
Holy surly bananas!

What the heck did I just watch?

:o
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.