The future of Uilleann pipes "Irishness"

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The future of Uilleann pipes "Irishness"

Post by rorybbellows »

Would you consider this as Irish music . Would you know that its being played by an Irish musician ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFHoj9KAy9U
It would be interesting to hear the pipes played by someone who had no background in Irish music and to play something other than Irish music.
What about this clip, to me it has more an American folk sound ,no doubt because of the bango but again would you know musician plays Irish music ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7zmd4rYh1o

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

In the first one, Davy's Irish and the music could be called Irish only in the sense that Irish musicians composed it. Just not ITM. The second is good use of five-string banjo with Fred. Nice playing. Maybe neither player is Irish but the music may be considered so. Wish DS would do a trad. album. He is certainly capable of it.
firnatine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by firnatine »

Davy Spillane playing Caoinedh Cu Chulainn in River Dance was my first introduction to the Uilleann Pipe and made a lasting impression on me. Now I'm Irish and grew up listening to a lot ITM but I always associated the sound of the Uilleann to be a different chanter used on a CHB or some other synthesized instrument. IMHO the more people hear the UP in both ITM and popular music the greater the demand will be for people wanting to learn to play and makers needed to supply quality instruments.

BTW Fred's mother is Irish and there is quite an interesting story about how Fred came about to composing the Kansas City Hornpipe.

Frank