New Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New Flute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I've played a Wylde a month ago, it was one of the nicest sounding flutes I've tried.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

English makers did not generally stamp the head - I think they viewed the head & barrel as a unit, even though separable, and so didn't stamp the head as well. That said, a good many makers stamped nothing at all, or only did the "main" stamp on the upper body. So, lack of a stamp on a head is no reason whatever to doubt authenticity/original integrity. You should only have those kinds of worries if there is other firm evidence to suggest a "foreign", substitute or replacement part, such as wildly ill-matched wood (say grenadilla on an otherwise cocus flute), non-matching rings, etc. (though loss and replacement of rings with non-matched ones is perhaps more likely than changing the head!). Of course, if someone in distant or recent times had a replacement head made with well matched wood and the original metal accoutrements, you would have very little chance of discerning the fact. So, on balance, you can't prove the head is original, but it is unlikely not to be unless there's rather more evidence for doubt than mere lack of a (not usually applied) stamp.

Not sure what you mean about the "tubular shim" on the barrel - photos?

Congrats on your acquisition - I'm sure we all hope you'll be very happy together!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

kkrell wrote:
fsharp wrote:Thanks for all your advice so far. I'd contacted Arthur Haswell re the RRC but it's out on trial. I'm up in Manchester at the weekend, so I can try the Prowse and Wylde. I'm not in any hurry, so I might hang fire for a while, 'til after the Christmas madness!
I don't see the Prowse or Wylde on the website. You can be very happy with a Wylde.
I see I mixed up websites when I was looking back when. Is this your flute?

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/shbigpic ... =21MAMA170
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

Post by fsharp »

more news later.... off to work!!!!!!!
"is it about a bicycle"?
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

The first maker that I'm aware of who stamped all the parts -- and matched the serial numbers, which is a very nice thing -- was Siccama. Frankly, I wonder if the idea was John Hudson's (his able "coadjutor" as described-but-unnamed by Rockstro) since the stamping moved along to the Pratten's Perfected flutes first made by Hudson (marked "Hudson from Siccama") and later by Boosey/Sons.

I believe Monzani was the first (?) to use serial numbers on a flute. He certainly marked the head pieces "1" and "2" (was there a "3"?) to reflect the sharper/flatter pitches or the Eb/D flutes. But I don't think that applied to anything but the single-piece headjoints w/o slides (generally male-to-female joints, often into lovely silver sockets of his design...or was it Henry Hill?).

I don't recall whether other makers took on the same as Pratten (Hudson and Boosey) by stamping each piece and matching with serial numbers. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't.

But if there was any tactic to use, it would be to put the stamp on the upper portion of the headpiece rather than the barrel, which was more akin to splitting and, of course, replacement. Many a Rudall today has a barrel missing the stamp. I have one whose barrel was replaced by RRC and marked thusly!
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.

Post by fsharp »

Some pictures on the way.... I forgot to mention the silver lip plate!!
Just for my own amusement I tested the tuning using the s8tuner:
cork at 19mm from centre of embouchure
slide extended to give A 440
Low D should be 293.7 flute 287
E 329.6 326
F# 370 362
G 392 386
A 440 440
B 493.9 495
C 523 524
C# 554.4 551
D 587.3 584
E 659.3 659
F# 740 728
G 784 783
A 880 880
B 987.8 991
C 1047 1046

Not at all scientific but interesting, Anyone done the same?
"is it about a bicycle"?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

What fingering are you using for the C naturals? The key? Fine for 1st 8ve, maybe OK for top of 2nd, or not.... Don't go on oxx ooo cross fingering for 1st 8ve! It will (almost certainly) be flat and veiled. And did you vent the C key for the middle C# and an F key for the F#s? And the Eb key for low E (but probably not 2nd 8ve E) and the F#s? It will probably be necessary to vent the Eb key for high (3rd 8ve) D (oxx ooo,) too, which you don't include. It's not a fair test of an antique flute if you don't!

It certainly fits a common looking pattern, but isn't at all extreme. I'd suggest trying it again with your reference note as G - that'll get most of it more into tune, but will make the A slightly sharp and exacerbate the sharpness of the B.

I'd be interested to see the results with the appropriate vented fingerings at the same tuned pitch as your first lot, and then both ways (assuming you didn't vent for your first set) tuned on G.

I've never done anything quite this precise myself, BTW.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Come on Jem, nowdays you can probably count the people that really vent the keys on your hands' fingers...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Othannen wrote:Come on Jem, nowdays you can probably count the people that really vent the keys on your hands' fingers...
Sure, but it is plain daft to assess a flute in a fashion irrelevant to its construction. You can't expect it to be anywhere near in tune unvented/with wrong fingerings - it just won't be - and if you want to take an antique on and play it well as what it is, best face that from step1!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

kkrell wrote:
kkrell wrote:
fsharp wrote:Thanks for all your advice so far. I'd contacted Arthur Haswell re the RRC but it's out on trial. I'm up in Manchester at the weekend, so I can try the Prowse and Wylde. I'm not in any hurry, so I might hang fire for a while, 'til after the Christmas madness!
I don't see the Prowse or Wylde on the website. You can be very happy with a Wylde.
I see I mixed up websites when I was looking back when. Is this your flute?

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/shbigpic ... =21MAMA170
Guess not. No silver lip plate on the above.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Didn't fancy coming to see/test my flutes then?
fsharp

Post by fsharp »

Jemtheflute:I didn't use any keys for the little tuning exercise, I'll do that tonight.
Benhall, I'd love to have a look at your flutes, maybe after Christmas.
Kkrell. My Wylde had just been restored and was not on their lists yet
How many players vent when playing?
"is it about a bicycle"?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

fsharp wrote:Jemtheflute:I didn't use any keys for the little tuning exercise, I'll do that tonight.
Benhall, I'd love to have a look at your flutes, maybe after Christmas.
Kkrell. My Wylde had just been restored and was not on their lists yet
How many players vent when playing?
A) You'd be very welcome. Come and have a toot. :)
B) I too would be very interested to know how many people vent when playing. Trouble is, whenever we have that discussion, we just end up arguing. (Well, to be fair, Jem's on one side and everybody else* is on the other. :lol: )

* Even though I do, in fact, vent, probably even more studiously than Jem, I still make a point of never supporting him in these arguments. heh heh :twisted:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

"How many players vent when playing?"

Rather few. It's one reason why many these days opt for modern made flutes which have mostly been at least to some extent modified to reduce the need. There's plenty of old stuff about the subject on this Forum. I freely admit to being "the only one marching in step" on this, but do the tests and you'll literally see (and hear) the issue. How you then choose to address it in your own playing of this particular flute will, naturally, be up to you, but at least you will know what you are or are not doing and why. It would be IMO just foolish to wonder why/complain that certain notes are "out of tune" if you don't play them with the (vented) fingerings the maker tuned them for. There are faults/discrepancies in the tuning of antique flutes, sure, (e.g. flat low D) but the notes requiring vented fingerings cannot fairly be so described.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Denny

Post by Denny »

yer the only one are ya?

ain't you special!

an' wrong :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.