PVC flute building

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: PVC flute building

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Feadoggie wrote: Doug brings up a good point. Kind of like Steve Martin's instructions for becoming a millionaire. "Step one: get a million dollars". So, back to your question. Step one: buy an Olwell flute. Check out his embouchure cut. Then try to re-create one yourself. I guess many of us started out making flutes after we had played flute for a while and had a few (or quite a few) examples to look at, copy and try to improve upon.
I have had two Olwell flutes in my possession long enough for me to study them. One was a low D bamboo flute, and the other was a cocus headjoint replacement for an antique conical flute. One thing that surprised me a little bit was that the internal embouchure cuts on the two flutes were considerably different. I concluded from this limited exposure to Olwellian excellence that a "one size fits all" attitude is probably just as inappropriate for flute embouchure as it is for clothing.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

My tips above should not be interpreted as anything more than rules of thumb for having a go at embouchure cutting - they're a place to start....... Doug us absolutely right that one size does not fit all.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

"In the meantime", I ordered and received this, just to see if I could make a sound. (Yes, I'm sure it's a horrible instrument, etc. I'm talking a sound, of some kind, any kind.)

Nuthin.

I think it's me, sniff sniff :sniffle:

Per'aps my lips are deformed ...
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Yamaha fifes are OK, actually (IMHO better than the Aulos equivalent). But the fingering's closer to Boehm flute than your standard six-holed types.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

I'd agree (and disagree) with Peter Duggan
Yamaha fifes are OK
... but I prefer the Aulos. Either way, at least you've got a "real" instrument to try and get a sound out of. Exactly similar position to where I was a few months ago ... made a flute, couldn't get it to sound, bought a Yamaha and an Aulos ... persevered, got noises, can now play almost two octaves ... not well, but I can get "musical noises" out of all three of them!
Good luck :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

Thank you Kypfer - I needed that encouragement :)

Well, I now got a note or three :) hooray!

My wife heard me complain over the last few days, and just an hour or so ago asked me to hand her one of the pipes. In about five seconds, out came a robust note!

She had played some fife as a child - didn't stick with it. Anyway, she showed me and had me blowing a note in short order :) I'm in love all over again ;)
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

So my joy at being able to actually raise the occasional note (as opposed to merely wind) became somewhat muted, as I continue to struggle with figuring out embouchure ...

So far, I can most reliably raise notes by completely collapsing my lower lip, developing a gigantic overbite, and puffing out my cheeks like Dizzy Gillespie. I have decided not to go that direction, however, as I suspect it may not be the best idea :lol:

So still trying to develop the more conventional way. I may have had a bit of a breakthrough last night, but unfortunately as it was very late I shall have to wait to explore it further :)

Oh, BTW ... back before I was able to get any note, I got fed up and cut an "access panel" off the bottom of the pipe. I then took scissors and reamed the blow hole upwards, from inside. So it's undercut now, @#$% it! :lol:

Taped the panel (really a sort of elliptical section) carefully back in place, and it's that modified pipe that my wife easily got notes out of, so I don't think I destroyed it too badly.

(For those keeping score, that means I now have a. two PVC pipes with blow holes - one violently undercut, one not - and b. the Yamaha "fife".)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, that's determination re: the undercut! Really a make-work way to attack it, though - I mean, sandpaper wrapped round a pencil and approaching from above would have been a load easier! Also, FWIW, undercutting will not per se help you to learn to generate a tone. A tidy, straight-cut hole is no easier or harder to do that on.

I know I've told this story here and elsewhere umpteen times (had hoped you'd use the Search tool for old threads on embouchure help - in which case you'd probably have seen it....): when I first started on transverse flute, I was given a rather battered school/County Music Service Bohm flute (a Boosey & Hawkes starter level jobbie, IIRA - Yamahas were only just starting to appear with a good reputation and the more advanced [Grade V +] students mostly still aspired to a Gemeinhardt as a next level toot!) for the summer holidays (after my A levels, age 17+, 1976! [drought summer!]) and a copy of Tune a Day Book 1 for flute. I spent about 2 weeks mostly holed up in my bedroom hyperventilating and getting headaches, using just the head-joint as the book prescribed and working on learning to make a sound.

One gets there in the end, but far quicker with an experienced eye to advise you as your face muscles learn new shapes and control. A major point to remember is DO NOT "BLOW", and certainly not hard. Just breathe out through as narrow and focussed an aperture as you can persuade your lips to form, and use a mirror to look at what you're doing in close-up. Whether it comes naturally/easily to you or not, it is just like any other muscle training - "muscle memory", fine control and fitness all take training in the callisthenic sense. Little and often is the best way - so if you can carry the factory made "fife" or a self-made head-joint substitute section of pipe with stopper and hole around with you and whip it out and practice for a few minutes whenever you get a chance through the day, do!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

I employed a similar technique (four years earlier & I was four years older).

2 weeks, eh? I don't remember how long it took me.

I know that after five months I could play along for a couple or so songs before I needed to rest.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

Notes! Actual notes are emerging this evening - hooray :)

(Granted, emerging mostly from the Yamaha, but some from my homemade as well!)
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D well it's all downhill then :D
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

Denny wrote::D well it's all downhill then :D
:lol:

Something resembling actual tunes starting to emerge as well ... though standing in front of the mirror, finally striking notes and afraid to move for fear of losing it, I can only ever seem to remember "Brian Boru's March".
Denny

Post by Denny »

soon you'll be complaining 'cause 'ya can only play for 5 minutes' before it goes out on ya!
gregwhistle

Post by gregwhistle »

Denny wrote:soon you'll be complaining 'cause 'ya can only play for 5 minutes' before it goes out on ya!
That's when I'll put it down for a bit and pick up the whistle :p