And the award for World's Ugliest Flute goes to....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tsackett
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: And the award for World's Ugliest Flute goes to....

Post by tsackett »

I don't dislike it... I think some of Skip Healy's flutes are much uglier.
I can't let that go unchallenged. I really like the look of Skip's flutes, and bought one you specifically said was ugly:

Even accounting for differences in taste, there's no way that table leg on ebay looks better than this.
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I agree with the above.

I thought that the comment some of Skip Healy's flutes are much uglier was neither kind nor necessary.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

Sweetheart keyless flutes always looked so repulsive to me I've never even picked one up.

http://www.sweetheartflute.com/images/flute_rose.jpg

Chairlegs without even plumbing joints for decoration. I think they used to look even worse.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Julia Delaney wrote:I thought that the comment some of Skip Healy's flutes are much uglier was neither kind nor necessary.
But why? :-?
If you can safetly say that McCarty flutes are ugly, why coudn't you comment about other makers' flutes?
We're talking about aesthetics here, some can agree or disagree with me, but I don't think that my comment was "neither kind nor necessary", or at least not more than everyone else's...
Looking again at that Skip's flute, I can say that I remembered it uglier than it really is, and the look of the metal part on pakistani flute is particularly horrible. I still don't like the look of Healy's flute though. This doesn't mean that they aren't well made and possibly really good sounding flutes (I've never tried one).
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It's like the word "attractive": depends on who's talking. "Ugly" is a broadbrush term by which the user often unconsciously presumes the listener's agreement or doesn't take into account his/her lack of it, and is ultimately shorthand for "I don't like the way it looks", which is actually more clear (and arguably more acceptable per The Pepsi Rule, q.v.). With that in mind I would urge members to couch their observations in terms less likely to offend each other. It is not mincing words: "I don't like it" is the truth; "It is ugly" is subjective. I suggest that reasonble discourse inclines to the former.

I'm not advocating that we drop the word "ugly" from our language. For example, it applies handsomely when levelled at certain human behaviors. And of course its use always has an acceptable place among the like-minded.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I agree with Nano. Very well said.
I don't recall having said that McArthy's flutes were ugly. I thought we had agreed not to criticize the work of a flute-maker on this site. What we say off-hand can have a harmful, albeit unintended, effect on a maker's reputation and on his livelihood. If we do feel the need to criticize somebody's work then I think this should be shared via private emails.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Julia Delaney wrote:I thought we had agreed not to criticize the work of a flute-maker on this site.
Not entirely true. Criticism is as acceptable as plaudits are (Pepsi Rule, again), but the principle is that it be done constructively. This means being coolheaded and backing up your viewpoint with observation and preferably personal experience. In positing a flute's unattractiveness, then lay out why it strikes one so. In the case of the OP, pictures suffice for personal experience, because through them we see it, and the seeing gives us plenty to point out.

Let me go out on a limb and see if I can apply my own words by way of example: In the case of the OP's flute, I am indeed aesthetically put off by its general design. In the main this is because of the bagpipe drone-like aspect of the turning, which is in opposition to my preference for clean line and the elegance of simplicity. To be honest, my taste finds it frankly overwrought. I am also no fan of ash, which I believe to be an unsuitable flutewood for serious playing, and the brass fittings in the form of bands seem loud to me, not to mention that they reinforce the vague impression of a GHB drone. If it must be ash and brass, I would prefer clean lines and narrower ferrules. So do I find it ugly? Why, yes. Yes, I do. But, that's just me (this last is my evergreen ace-in-the-hole when walking the tightrope :wink: ).
Julia Delaney wrote:What we say off-hand can have a harmful, albeit unintended, effect on a maker's reputation and on his livelihood. If we do feel the need to criticize somebody's work then I think this should be shared via private emails.
I agree that we should keep reputations and livelihoods in mind as a way to help us differentiate between criticism and trashing. PMs and email certainly free things up, though. If we have to say something publicly, then we should consider whether fine-crafting what we say might be called for.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
tsackett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tsackett »

I would urge members to couch their observations in terms less likely to offend each other. It is not mincing words: "I don't like it" is the truth; "It is ugly" is subjective. I suggest that reasonble discourse inclines to the former.
Why not be direct? "It's ugly" is a beautiful statement. It tells me that the speaker doesn't like something, and why, and it does it in two words. It doesn't pretend to be a statement of fact, as it is, implicitly, an opinion.
I thought we had agreed not to criticize the work of a flute-maker on this site. What we say off-hand can have a harmful, albeit unintended, effect on a maker's reputation and on his livelihood. If we do feel the need to criticize somebody's work then I think this should be shared via private emails.
There's a difference between opinions and unsubstantiated rumors. There was a thread recently where someone repeated a rumor that could have been truly damaging to someone else's reputation. I'd be glad to see admins delete posts like that. But I don't think flute makers, or professional players, or creators of tune books or tutorials have anything to fear from honest opinions. I responded to Othannen's comment about Skip Healy's flutes because I disagreed, and because I wanted to make it clear that his (hers?) wasn't an opinion universally held.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

tsackett wrote:
I would urge members to couch their observations in terms less likely to offend each other. It is not mincing words: "I don't like it" is the truth; "It is ugly" is subjective. I suggest that reasonble discourse inclines to the former.
Why not be direct? "It's ugly" is a beautiful statement. It tells me that the speaker doesn't like something, and why, and it does it in two words. It doesn't pretend to be a statement of fact, as it is, implicitly, an opinion.
Fair enough, if you are prepared to be flamed for it. Much of this depends on the details and who's listening, of course. I still say that if you want to call something ugly, then do so, but be prepared to back it up, because contrary to your assertion, "It's ugly" does not say why; it is, as you say (and as I did before), only an opinion (and in the form of a title page, if you will). I do have a question, though: must I then assume that you are suggesting that my example above is only a pretension to fact?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

As the saying goes:

Beauty is only skin deep; ugly goes down to the bone.

I think the attitude of saying what you think forthrightly and backing it up sensibly, keeping in mind
that one can do people economic harm, is a very good one.

About Skip's flutes: he apprenticed with Chris Abell, I believe, and there is a dollop of Chris A's
aesthetics in them. That really tends to shine through, IMO, despite my not liking the look of
the key work on that particular specimen.

I think Sweetheart flutes look good enough and sound better and are a great value. I've played
lots of em, own several (especially in higher keys) and think they have the elegance of
woody simplicity.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I'm always (or most times) very careful in remembering to use "I think" when I give an opinion. And I'm glad I didn't fail in the use of it in my previous comment...
I think ( :wink: ) that personal comments on the look of a flute should not affect the reputation of a maker, because anyone can look at pictures and make up his own mind. It's not that easy when talking about a flute's playing characteristics, because we can't always try a flute and because there's the individual ability to play the thing involved.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Julia Delaney

Post by Julia Delaney »

I think Sweetheart flutes look good enough and sound better and are a great value. I've played
lots of em, own several (especially in higher keys) and think they have the elegance of
woody simplicity.

Seconded.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Othannen wrote:I'm always (or most times) very careful in remembering to use "I think" when I give an opinion.
I agree that those two simple words can make all the difference. :)
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Image
Groooooovy, baby!
I had no idea Paul Brady came as an emoticon!
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
Othannen wrote:I'm always (or most times) very careful in remembering to use "I think" when I give an opinion.
I agree that those two simple words can make all the difference. :)
I think ...

... and I've wisely deleted the rest. :wink:

PS I don't think they'd have helped ...