tommy reck - bio and discography sought

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
donpiper
antispam: No

Re: tommy reck - bio and discography sought

Post by donpiper »

There are 2 of Tommy Reck's early recordings for Gael-Linn on this compilation:

http://claddaghrecords.com/WWW/catalog/ ... ts_id=1738

also 3 piping tracks from Willie Clancy as well fiddling from Dennis Murphy, Paddy Canny,
and sean-nos singing from Joe Heaney, Sean ac Dhonncha, and others.
All recorded for Gael-Linn in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

donpiper.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

There's some other article from Treoir profiling Tommy, haven't found that one yet. A side from a 78 is on the compilation album "From Galway to Dublin" and Phillipe Varlet says in the liner notes that Tommy called the regulator pattern he uses here in Alexander's Hornpipe "cross-beat." Phillipe told me this was from that old article in Treoir - late 80s? I wrote an entire article on this cross-beat playing; it's where you play a note on the bass and then a chord on the smaller regs, kind of an oom-pah sound. Ennis used it all over the place, especially in his younger days; Ronan Browne probably uses it the most amongst modern pipers.

That other Treoir article linked to earlier will tell you about everything else there is to know about Tommy. I think in that link to the discussion here with Pat talking about recording him Pat explains that the other set of pipes on the Stone in the Field record is actually Pat's Willie Rowsome C set; but Breandan Breathnach wrote in the liner notes that it was a Coyne for some reason.

I also uploaded the other side of the above mentioned 78 to archive.org: The Scholar, The Salamanca, Tom Steele : Tommy Reck. Site offline at the time of posting.

Don't miss ‪Tommy Reck & Peadar O'Loughlin - Maid in the Cherry Tree & Jenny's Wedding‬‏ - YouTube. Looks like a Falcon pipe. :D
mayo_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mayo_piper »

After all this posting of Tommy Reck, it made me break out the CD of Drones and Chanters and re-listen to his version of The Scholar, Top it Off, and The Salamanca Reel.

Great stuff with lots of expression and stacatto to add to the rythem.

Pat Sky, weren't you one time going to make a CD form his Album at one time???
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx