Joint Preference?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Given the option, what is your joint preference?

Bound with cotton
29%
Corked
71%

Total votes: 34

Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Joint Preference?

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Not one has mentioned this yet, and it is not one of two aforementioned options, but does anyone have anything that works for aching joints? Waxed string or cork seem out of the question. My wife says to try glucosamine, but I've read that it doesn't really help the aching or wobbly joints either.
Maihcol
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

chas wrote:...I have a Cameron traverso with extremely thin cork; I suspect this was designed to have thread, which would be more appropriate...
My own flutes are like this – I turn the tenon troughs deep enough for the thread – which is fine for several layers of the thin polyester sewing thread I use - but wouldn´t easily allow for cork to be used instead, if someone wanted to switch over.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Not one has mentioned this yet, and it is not one of two aforementioned options, but does anyone have anything that works for aching joints? Waxed string or cork seem out of the question. My wife says to try glucosamine, but I've read that it doesn't really help the aching or wobbly joints either.
Try the glucosamine. The worst it will do is nothing, but I think it helps. Give it some time, though.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:No need to take a little [thread] off when it's damp and add a little when it's dry.
I use waxed dental floss for thread lapping for that reason. The wax is really only to keep the floss ends in place, and the floss itself is for all practical purposes unaffected by humidity changes. The only thing about it is that over time the wrapping may compress and more floss be needed, but that's about it. It ain't the prettiest way to go, but it serves me well.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Not one has mentioned this yet, and it is not one of two aforementioned options, but does anyone have anything that works for aching joints? Waxed string or cork seem out of the question. My wife says to try glucosamine, but I've read that it doesn't really help the aching or wobbly joints either.
It helps me when I remember to take my cod liver oil. I keep forgetting though.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

For those who wish to take the plunge to replace the thread with cork as I did, but like me, are too smart or too stupid (depending on your viewpoint) to do it yourself, I spent all of about forty bucks to have four tenons done by a woodwind repair guy at a local music store. I am very happy.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

Cork's harder to keep lit, wait, is this a loaded question?
huffin' and puffin'
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I thought synthetic thread was preferred due to problems of expansion/contraction due to humidity and condensation. The piccolo that I have with thread looks to have red synthetic line (yarn?) that is tied in with what looks like a Common whipping knot.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

This is an other one o'dem fraught things, innit

whipping knot, one double back shy of a noose
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

With the thin thread I use, there's no need for a knot. The loose end is held in place by the grease and can be lifted, if necessary, by running a fingernail across the surface of the binding...If the end is beginning to hang loose, it's an indication that the tenon needs to be greased.

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I can't believe no one prefers hemp for their joints. :lol:

Seriously though I like both wrapped and corked joints. They both work well which is why they're still the main options! :sniffle:
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

groxburgh wrote:Hemp is the best stuff for joints.
OOPS!! Sorry, missed this post. :o
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Joints?

Locally grown, organic, farm-fresh.

*ducks*
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Personally, I prefer to baste my joints with dripping that has previously been on a number of different meats. This is also best for flavoursome roast potatoes and, reserved and cooled in the fridge, is wonderful spread on fresh, hot toast - especially with bits of the jelly from the bottom dotted about and seasoned with pepper and salt.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:Personally, I prefer to baste my joints with dripping that has previously been on a number of different meats.
Dude. You don't screw around. I've never heard of a basting "mother" before (y'know, like sourdough and artisanal vinegars have "mothers"), but it sounds like a Really Delicious Idea. At least on paper.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician