quickey: ideal tempos for tune types

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: quickey: ideal tempos for tune types

Post by david_h »

I must say that its good of cboody and ben to check out so many of those tracks for us. Very public spirited
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

benhall.1 wrote:Not in the least QED. Not when you, rather offhandedly in my opinion, restrict a questioner (and by implication everyone else on the thread as well) to a narrow area on the basis that anything else is in "the wrong forum". Not all tunes are dance tunes. And the term "traditional dance tunes" encompasses far more than is implied as included in the term "Irish Traditional Music Forum". It seems to me that if you're going to tell people what to do, or what not to do, you might as well be a little more precise and accurate in what you tell them.
well this is pretty precis:-
talasiga wrote:If its "traditional dance tunes" you are doing then you should be able to play the thing in various tempos within a DANCEABLE range to suit the needs of different communities of dancers.

and yet it goes towards FREEING rather than restricting and the implication of my post should have been pretty clear to someone who likes to find implications (rather than taking the rhetoric in other parts of my post literally and in ways that enable you to arrive at a negative implication of my post).
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

It's a good job I'm not an argumentative type ...

But here it is, I'm all Christmassy and full of goodwill and love. So talasiga can believe what he wants with my blessings and the rest of us can read what's written.

Happy Christmas!
Denny

Post by Denny »

I don't care for either option all that much...

oh, I guess I'm okay with the first part,
long as ya keep it 'tween yerselves :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

As always, Denny, you baffle me with your straightforwardness and simplicity.

Ah, Zen ...

Denny

Post by Denny »

ya left out

complex undertones of buffoonery :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

And a magi-cal christmas to you benhall1.
My gift to you is this observation;

tis better to discuss points of argument
than it is to assume personalised postures
against those you think you disagree with

I regret that the gift is not wrapped in reticulate buffoonery
but I sincerely hope that, therefore,
you will not dump it in the charity bin
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Recycling already?

:lol:
julesbit

Post by julesbit »

Hi fellow musicans,
Thanks for some critical remarks on my Irish Beat Conductor.
As a musician/teacher (whistle/flute) I know there's a lot of different opinions how to play, to learn to play and to teach Irish Trad. Playing and recognizing the different rhythm-patterns is an important aspect in the learning proces and we all know it starts with listening like we all did when we learned to speak. Most of the people I teach pick the rhythms up this way but some of them need an extra help and because a boring classical metronome is deadly for their motivation I started to make some percussion tracks with rhythm-patterns at different speeds. Most of them have an easy to recognize rhythm that can be a help keeping up the pulse of a tune or practising rolls or repeating and automatizing parts of tunes. I also use a track now and then when a workshopclass tends to speed up, but after that I always go back to play in a more organic and natural way without this kind of fake "metronome". After a few years of using this (and selling lots of Beat Conductor Cds and mp3s) I know some people like it and use some of these tracks and some don't.. (thanks guys for your critical remarks to make me aware of this fact again)
So if you hate metronomes or can do without replacements like this : leave it.

About track 37: indeed it can be used for 3/4 (mazurka or walz) but it can be a challenge to play a 2/2 4/4
If you like click the links to listen to this reel (The Wise Maid) I recorded using track 37 (slow tempo) and track 40 (moderate tempo) from the Irish Beat Conductor.
http://www.whistle-flute.com/downloads/ ... cond37.mp3
http://www.whistle-flute.com/downloads/ ... cond40.mp3

(probably you have heard this kind of rhythmic arrangement before on some cds? you hear a certain rhythmic intro and suddenly the melodic instruments start to play a reel instead of the jig you expected)
Again: if you don't like this kind of rhytmic jokes/challenges just leave it.
Merry Chistmas and a happy New Year with lots of new tunes and sessions..
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Fair enough, julesbit. I don't get it, personally. I'd say it would be better to have just the whistle track from that second example to teach the rhythm (and everything else) of a reel, or at least, that particular reel. I found the drum really distracting - it just sounded as if it was in the wrong time. Which it was. I don't remember hearing Irish trad CDs with that sort of thing on ...

Anyway, that's your thing, so, away you go. It's not for me, and I wouldn't use it for teaching, personally.

I heartily second the Christmas wishes. Have a great Christmas, all.
julesbit

Post by julesbit »

OK Benhall.1, I respect your personal opinion about my (successful) Irish Beat Conductor and here is the same tune without confusing rhythm http://www.whistle-flute.com/downloads/ ... histle.mp3
And this is a version with flute/whistle and easy to follow percussion (bodhran):
http://www.whistle-flute.com/downloads/ ... h_fast.mp3
I have more tunes (with and without confusing accompaniment by myself (percuss) and guitar (Philip Masure):
http://www.whistle-flute.com/?Monthly_Tune
Cheers, and keep playing and listening.