"Nu-"grass?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
projektio28
antispam: No

Re: "Nu-"grass?

Post by projektio28 »

I almost mentioned Emmylou Harris and then forgot... Good call! :thumbsup:

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtpastor »

Emmylou is just a wee bit too "country" for me...
Just discovered a young mandolin player, Sierra Hull. Great playin, beautifull singing - and she's CUTE, too... :D
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

Well - with Your help, I managed to rise up my own little "Instrumental&female voice-nu-grass-archive" - Great stuff & cheers for Your help!
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The Greencards.
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

...ordered...
After listening to all the other stuff You all recommended, I can only say: I am veeeery thankfull for having found this forum - obviously, people here really have a very good understanding of music and - logically following - a good taste! However - just a personal remark: I still seem to prefer Tony Trischka to Bela Fleck, even though I usually prefer the creative pupils to the more conservative teachers. Only here, they seem to be the other way round - but then again, that's really a question of taste and if You don't like jazz, some of Trischkas stuff will necessarily go on Your nerves... ;-)
And then I discovered another band pushing the borders of bluegrass veery far - the punkgrass band "Uncle F**ker". Well - strange stuff, some may even find it disgusting. However - without a doubt good musicians and creative stuff! If You're courageous and like grass and punk, just try! Thanx however...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Celtpastor wrote:Emmylou is just a wee bit too "country" for me...
Just discovered a young mandolin player, Sierra Hull. Great playin, beautifull singing - and she's CUTE, too... :D
Hey Rev... you're not supposed to notice that kinda stuff! :-)
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

Why not? I'm just praising God's beutifull creation! ;-)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Celtpastor wrote:And then I discovered another band pushing the borders of bluegrass veery far - the punkgrass band "Uncle F**ker".
Woah, they're more like a Gothic Psychobilly band...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Celtpastor wrote:Why not? I'm just praising God's beutifull creation! ;-)
Amen to that!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

brewerpaul wrote:Bela Fleck-- any and all. On a different note, he has an album called Perpetual Motion which is Classical played on banjo. Very well too.
I'll second this one. I love Bela Fleck and any project he's worked on. If you're looking for more of a fusion flavor, String Cheese Incident is fun too.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Check out 'Whayasay' by Bela F and Sam Bush. Catchy little tune!
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

...just picked up "Dixie Chicks" acoustic album "Home" 'bout a week ago - wheeew - great stuff! :thumbsup:
Always thought of them as a "country-pop"-group, but - YESSS! THESE Chicks REALLY know, what they're doin'! :shock: Some of the finest Bluegrass I ever had the pleasure to listen to! Since I bought it, the CD in my car goes round and round and round... :)
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

Celtpastor wrote:Just discovered a young mandolin player, Sierra Hull. Great playin, beautifull singing - and she's CUTE, too... :D
I discovered Sierra Hull a couple of months ago. Great mandolin player and she is cute as a button (I speak as a father to two wee daughters!)

As for in-your-face bluegrass, my wife and I are going to see Split Lip Rayfield tomorrow night. Nothing better than watching a band that has a guy with a "gas tank" upright bass. Yessir, it's made from a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis gas tank, but man can he play that thing! :D

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien