Ornaments on C nat

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Diego Lolic
antispam: No

Re: Ornaments on C nat

Post by Diego Lolic »

PS Diego, your English is far better than many native speakers/writers.
Aww that's so nice from you, thanks :)
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumbuk »

jemtheflute wrote:...There has been plenty of previous discussion of and instructions on how to do C rolls on C&F (both Flute and Whistle Fora) in which I've had my two-pennorth - you should find them using the search function (to save me writing out destructions yet again! :D :sleep: ). Here's one such. FWIW, I'd do a roll most of the time on whistle too.
Thanks for the link - I guess I should have searched first! I have been using OXXOOO or OXXXOX for Cnat, with the second one sounding slightly better. I haven't tried OXOXXX - will give it and the associated roll a try tonight.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I use the "classical grip" and have no trouble doing rolls on Cnat thus:

oxx oox
oxx xxx
oxx xxo
xxx oox
oxx oox

but sometimes it's hard for me, in some reels, to get that in there quickly enough (I'm thinking of the 2nd part of Bunker Hill for example).

So kind of by accident I came up with a cranlike thingy that, up to speed, sounds kinda like a roll but's much easier to play:

oxx oox
oxx xxx
oxx oxx
oxx xxx
oxx oox

It sounds like two middle D cuts on that Cnat, but really goes by so fast that it just sounds like a little cran thingy. Anyhow I use this instead of Cnat rolls now in reels.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle