(sigh!) Not all are born to be virtuosos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caedmon
antispam: No

Re: (sigh!) Not all are born to be virtuosos

Post by caedmon »

My current goal is one song at a time. First off, Amazing Grace. Next up will be one or two airs that my new music group will be playing that our singer will be singing, and not playing the whistle. The bodhran doesn't make sense in those songs, and I hate to just sit there and twiddle my thumbs until they are finished!
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
squidgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

Thanks Chuck! I'd always meant to start an "out of the closet" thread for remedial whistlers like myself, but never quite got up the gumption for it.

I consider myself an experiment in what musical progress can be made by an intelligent and (sporadically) motivated individual who has, alas, never shown any particular signs of musical aptitude... well, I was a good dancer, but that doesn't involve making actual sounds! The answer seems to be "much slower progress than can be seen in those individuals blessed with talent". I've seen people appear as newbies, and months later they post clips in which they're much better whistlers than I am (sigh!). That's often point at which I get discouraged and give up on whistling until the next spring...

I've discussed this discouragement with various people, and one friend pointed out how there is a cultural meme that music should be reserved for the talented few, who shall be anointed with special status to perform for the rest of us. At the other end of the sprectrum, in this vicarious, watch-but-not-do TV culture, it's fair game to amuse ourselves by mocking the efforts of those who "put themselves out there" by playing music, yet who fail to live up to the standards (and tastes) expressed in our CD collections. There's definitely a stigma to playing music "badly" -- but then again, how else is one to learn?

I often wonder how different it was before the advent of recorded music, when, if you wanted music in your house, you had to pick up an instrument and make some happen. It seems that, in that context, there would be room for people at all different musical skill levels... or maybe I'm just idealizing the past. But it seems to me that there's a participatory aspect to Irish music culture that speaks to an earlier era, a kind of golden age in between when mass production made musical instruments less rare and expensive, and the rise of recorded music, which set the standards of "ordinary music" so high that very few measure up.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

I am certainly in the same or similar boat. Having come to whistles and flutes later in life, and not being blessed with great manual dexterity, there are definite limits to which I can aspire.

A couple of months ago, I went to a one-time flute class held at a conservatory, where most everyone else was a virtuoso, or would-be virtuoso. I reminded myself that the kids practiced 4, 6, or 8 hours a day, every day, and probably all started before age twelve. There is no chance I can ever "catch up," given the nature of the instrument.

In the rare instances I meet other whistle players, I have an embarrassing tiny list of known tunes that I can even attempt to play, much less play at speed.

Still, I whistle away, though I have fallen off the wagon at times and gotten away from it. There is something about the music. Because of my difficulty in learning most tunes, and playing fast, mostly I play original tunes. When I perform in public, I often get many compliments. People are moved and touched by my music. That reward is plenty, even if I can never aspire to be as good as those kids at the conservatory.

As for SquidGirl's comments about music only being for the top performers, there is some truth to that. Keep in mind that those new folks that post clips, are probably the top 10%. Those that aren't much good usually don't bother. For those of average talent and limited practice time, there are venues. There are sessions, song-circles, community choirs, folk music groups, and more. Certainly, even in those groups, there are a few prodigies or former prodigies in the mix. Still, most groups will welcome those that are willing to show up an play, or sing, or just listen and learn, as long as they have an idea about the limits of their current capability.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

squidgirl wrote: ...I've discussed this discouragement with various people, and one friend pointed out how there is a cultural meme that music should be reserved for the talented few, who shall be anointed with special status to perform for the rest of us...

...I often wonder how different it was before the advent of recorded music, when, if you wanted music in your house, you had to pick up an instrument and make some happen. It seems that, in that context, there would be room for people at all different musical skill levels... or maybe I'm just idealizing the past. But it seems to me that there's a participatory aspect to Irish music culture that speaks to an earlier era, a kind of golden age in between when mass production made musical instruments less rare and expensive, and the rise of recorded music, which set the standards of "ordinary music" so high that very few measure up.
Marvelous post. Actually, in my time I've played at numerous instruments; whistle (of course), dulcimer (both types), trombone in high school and college band, recorder, celtic harp, keyboards. Note I said "played at" I didn't say I played well. My HS bandleader actually voiced doubt about the judges' hearing when our trombone trio won a medal at State. I know that I frequently feel cheated that however much I love music and want to make it, talent was not given in equal measure.

As you rightly suggest, in "olden times" if you wanted music, you had to make it. Fiddle, banjo, a hollow gourd or even a set of wooden spoons, whatever. Every town had their town band, and I imagine some were more quaint than melodic. "Professional" musicians were reserved for big cities, royal courts and occasional tours of the "sticks". Sometime around the middle third of the Twentieth Century, recording and broadcasting equpment made it possible for musicians to be heard beyond the doors of the place - and Time - where they were performing.

Eventually, the current picture emerged, that of the non-musical, or at least non professional, taking to itself the role of "spectator", sitting placidly and waiting to be entertained. Was it better before? Not really. My life would be different if I'd never heard Glenn Miller or Paul McCartney, that's for sure!

I never realized until just now how much ITM, folk and bluegrass are really alike. They're all places where the pros haven't entirely taken over and there's still a place for folks like us. Sort of, anyway.

I really appreciate the other comments in this thread. Its less easy to be discouraged knowing others have the same concerns.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Achill

Post by Achill »

“As long as you know you've got something to learn, you'll continue to improve.”
Matt Molloy
ChromeLibrarian

Post by ChromeLibrarian »

I'm fair with a plains flute (Native American Flute). I'm a beginner with a penny whistle. In either case, I don't have a great turn of speed, so I stick to fairly slow pieces. Speed may come later. Or it may not. I play for myself first. If someone else likes my playing, that just a bennie. I also have a fairly musical family. Right now, in our house we have, let's see... two acoustic guitars, two electric guitars, one electric bass, one stand up bass, a violin, a trombone, six Native American flutes, one penny whistle (home made), two penny whistles under construction, One low whistle (home made), one low whistle under construction, one flute, a trumpet, numerous drums, a set of pan pipes, an ocarina, and a shakuhachi. There is someone in the house (either me or more usually my kids) who can produce recognizable tunes on any or all of the above. My daughter is very good on the violin, stand up bass and flute. My son is very good on guitar and pretty good on electric bass.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Thanks, Chuck_Clark!

I've been ambling along, with my little bunch of Lows, for about eleven years.

I've not found a better "meditation." Play'em daily.

How I'd rank, as a "musician," is unknown. But I play and enjoy like there's no tomorrow.

I've whistled accross the US, in my little RV, and by rivers, and in forests...and had people say they'd enjoyed it. That was fun, but, frankly, if I were the last person on the planet, I'd still A-Muse myself with these delightful instruments.

Happiness. Simple pleasures. O, yah...
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
riverman

Post by riverman »

squidgirl wrote:Thanks Chuck! I'd always meant to start an "out of the closet" thread for remedial whistlers like myself, but never quite got up the gumption for it.

I consider myself an experiment in what musical progress can be made by an intelligent and (sporadically) motivated individual who has, alas, never shown any particular signs of musical aptitude... well, I was a good dancer, but that doesn't involve making actual sounds! The answer seems to be "much slower progress than can be seen in those individuals blessed with talent". I've seen people appear as newbies, and months later they post clips in which they're much better whistlers than I am (sigh!). That's often point at which I get discouraged and give up on whistling until the next spring...

I've discussed this discouragement with various people, and one friend pointed out how there is a cultural meme that music should be reserved for the talented few, who shall be anointed with special status to perform for the rest of us. At the other end of the sprectrum, in this vicarious, watch-but-not-do TV culture, it's fair game to amuse ourselves by mocking the efforts of those who "put themselves out there" by playing music, yet who fail to live up to the standards (and tastes) expressed in our CD collections. There's definitely a stigma to playing music "badly" -- but then again, how else is one to learn?

I often wonder how different it was before the advent of recorded music, when, if you wanted music in your house, you had to pick up an instrument and make some happen. It seems that, in that context, there would be room for people at all different musical skill levels... or maybe I'm just idealizing the past. But it seems to me that there's a participatory aspect to Irish music culture that speaks to an earlier era, a kind of golden age in between when mass production made musical instruments less rare and expensive, and the rise of recorded music, which set the standards of "ordinary music" so high that very few measure up.
Hear! Hear!

Almost everyone liked to hear my whistle when I played in my first year. Now, three years later, almost everyone still likes it! Because it's live, it's free, and it's real, not coming out of a CD player or piped into a restaurant.

Actually, Squidgirl, your only mistake is giving up the whistling "until next spring!"

It takes me several months to learn a single jig. After four years of playing I only know 8 jigs, hornpipes, reels or polkas--I mean fast tunes. The rest is slow stuff, airs and worship songs. And what is an acceptable speed for jigs, anyway? I doubt that anyone could dance to some of the jigs as fast as I've heard them on CDs.

Enjoy yourself, Chuck! Everyone will like your Irish music!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

riverman wrote: Enjoy yourself, Chuck! Everyone will like your Irish music!
Uh, yeah. Dirty little secret time. My presentable repertoire doesn't really include that much Irish "Irish" music [*] - and that is mostly airs and songs. O'Carolan, of course (which I'm told isn't REALLY Irish music), and I like the revolutionary songs.

My real starting point, back when I got my first Generation (long since sold on eBay) was American Folk music and Appalachian, especially around and before the American Civil War.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

This is a great thread!

I can only add a couple of insights/clarifiers perhaps ..

To me, the whistle provides entry to a journey. With a whistle, the destination is wonderfully vague - it's the magic allure behind the sound you once heard. Along the way one gets to visit some interesting places - technical achievements, new tunes memorized, that sort of thing. But also, you meet a bunch of fellow travelers - many of these make you realize how rich the journey can be. The journey is your own, comparisons with others matter little. Certainly - those who walk shoulder to shoulder can enjoy the company and help each other at need, but those on different parts of the road have their own journey to enjoy - it is a wonder to hear their notes echo in the valleys and hills from afar.

The monks who live in the temple regard it all as normal hum-drum stuff: "Hey Steve - could you please levitate the salt over here?", "Damn - we're out of wine again, hey John, would you be so good as to change this bucket of water?" "Loaves and fishes anyone?" etc etc.
Of course, to those who observe from outside, it is all sheer wonder.

From the time you pick up your first whistle, you foot is planted on that road, and you enter the temple.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Ellen
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Post by Ellen »

Chuck, and all the others out there, I'm glad to read this thread. So I know I'm not allone with
doubts and frustrations, uppy and downy (?! well, you know what I mean) times.

Like you describe it so wunderfully, Mitch, it's a miraculous journey - and my own one.
With close to no musical background at all I started whistling say 10 years ago,
haven't got beyond advanced beginner's yet, but still - I've come that far at least.

And sometimes I just enjoy the sensual feeling of holding the whistle, tapping my fingers, feel the air flow ... great.

So yes: "... can't really play but won't quit trying"
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

I realize this is very cliche, but one of my favorite confidence builders, and I think very applicable in this case:

(to paraphrase)

" 'tis not reaching the destination which brings enlightenment..., but the journey."

Great post.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Regarding recorded music, professionals and just plain good music, I saw Sting in concert once, and what he sang sounded just like the recordings but he wasn't having any fun on stage and it was obvious. So we didn't have any fun in the audience either. It's about the craic, not the quality of the music. We had a great time one evening at our local, and I was recording it on my mp3 player so I could capture tunes that I don't know for practice. We had one of those sets where your feet come up off the floor and you are caught floating in the music. Magic stuff. The place broke out in applause when we stopped. Not because the playing was that good, because it wasn't anything special at all. I have it recorded, so I have proof it wasn't the quality of the playing they enjoyed. But there was some serious person-to-person sharing going on that just doesn't get recorded. Even the punters could feel it. That's why I play. Not to measure my skill against some scale, but to enjoy the activity. I have just as much fun now as I did two years ago, and I have just as many things I'm working on improving as I did then. They are different things, but my experience is the same. I don't play to get better, I play because I have to.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
rossirhodes

Post by rossirhodes »

I'm with you. I play because I just want to. I want to be better than I am. Always playing at it. But I just plain love it. I know, I don't even live in Ireland either. Even had a piano teacher tell my parents to quit giving me lessons because I had no ability. But those tunes just invite me to get inside of em. And I love people who understand that too! Hooked against all odds! Keep playin!!!!
chinese_whistler

Post by chinese_whistler »

I dreamed of playing whistle for kids in the park ~~
hehe~~
A chinese boy learning whistle~~