The Bodhran

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Makar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The Bodhran

Post by Makar »

Cubitt wrote:Regarding the complaint about having cross pieces that prevent moving your hand up and down the drum, IMHO you are better off not doing that. It's a very annoying style that, at best, should be used VERY sparingly. There are some players that use the technique incessantly, and I think most players really hate it. As a flute player, I know I do.

Can't agree less. The voice hand, when used correctly, brings the bodhran into a different class. Listen to Eamon of Beoga, JJ Kelly, Martin O'Neill or Neill Lyons - could go on - and tell me that the use of the voice hand is an annoying style. The mix right now of top-end and Kerry styles with appropriate use of the voice hand is making the bodhran attractive to many more people rather than just the 'oh no, here comes a tub thumper to spoil the session' response. Lots of things can be annoying if done inappropriately but to rule the voice hand out in such a way I don't think is fair.

I have a Seamus O'Kane 15" and a Darius Bartlett 13" Kangaroo BTW.

cheers
Stephen
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
The Baron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Baron »

I have five in total at the moment -- all tuneable.

15" x 4" Albert Alfonso "Da Blonde Drum" Calfskin

16" x 5" Albert Alfonso "Da Red Drum" Goatskin

16" x 4" Mance Grady Goatskin

15" x 5" Metloef Goatskin

20" x 4 " Brendan White Double Goatskin

All great bodhrans in their own way, but I'm really digging the Mance Grady at the moment. Just a fantastic all-around instrument.

Looking to sell one of these (I really don't need FIVE professional level bodhrans). Anybody interested, give me a shout via PM.

~ Ryan
Ryan O'Rourke
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I have a Metloef 15" x 5" Lambeg head. Amazing boom and pop :)

Pat.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Just got a Metloef 16" X 8" (kangaroo skin) from eBay - incredible bodhran! Now I've got to sell my Kearns...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

The Baron wrote:Looking to sell one of these (I really don't need FIVE professional level bodhrans). Anybody interested, give me a shout via PM.
I would, if my wallet could afford it. I am almost afraid to ask what those drums are worth.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran