scottish music

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: scottish music

Post by s1m0n »

caitlin ruadh wrote:
kenny wrote:Who played flute with the "Old Blind Dogs"?
I looked in the liner notes of the one album I have at home ( Legacy ) but it doesn't seem to have a band list anywhere.
This is the kind of question wikipedia was made to answer. Only whistles are credited - could what you're hearing be a low whistle?
1990–92
Ian F. Benzie (guitar, vocals)
Jonny Hardie (fiddle, mandolin, guitar, backing vocals)
Buzzby McMillan (cittern, bass)
Carmen Higgins (fiddle)
Dave Francis (percussion)
Davy Cattanach (percussion) [joined 1991]

1992–96
Ian F. Benzie
Jonny Hardie
Buzzby McMillan
Davy Cattanach

1996–97
Ian F. Benzie
Jonny Hardie
Buzzby McMillan
Fraser Fifield (small pipes, saxophone)
Davy Cattanach

1997–99
Ian F. Benzie
Fraser Fifield
Graham Youngson (percussion)
Jonny Hardie
Buzzby McMillan

1999–2003
Jim Malcolm (guitar, harmonica, lead vocals)
Jonny Hardie (fiddle, guitar, backing vocals)
Buzzby McMillan
Rory Campbell (whistle, border pipes, guitar, harmonica, backing vocals)
Paul Jennings (percussion) [left 2002]

2003–2006
Jim Malcolm
Jonny Hardie
Rory Campbell
Fraser Stone (drums, percussion)
Aaron Jones (bouzouki, bass, backing vocals)

2007-2008
Jonny Hardie (fiddle, guitar, vocals)
Rory Campbell (border pipes, whistles, vocals)
Fraser Stone (percussion)
Aaron Jones (bouzouki, guitar, vocals)

2008-
Jonny Hardie (fiddle, guitar, vocals)
Ali Hutton (border pipes, whistles)
Fraser Stone (percussion)
Aaron Jones (bouzouki, guitar, vocals)
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
caitlin ruadh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by caitlin ruadh »

^^^I dunno; it sure sounds like a flute to me! Besides, one of my friends lived in Scotland and Ireland for a year and said she took lessons from the flute player for Old Blind Dogs. Though, which one she didn't specify.

Caitlin.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Already on page two and nobody's mentioned Phil Smillie, Tannahilll Weavers.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

Oh, my bad!!! I did a show of Scottish Music the other night in honour of this thread and I almost forgot to play them, too! :tomato:

Caitlin
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

I love Scottish music. In fact, a few of my favorite tunes are Scottish.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Wormdiet wrote:Already on page two and nobody's mentioned Phil Smillie, Tannahilll Weavers.
Hear hear. He was actually one of the first two or three wooden flute players I ever saw, heard, had on record, back in 1977.

I can't remember if it is one of the tracks on his MySpace site, But Calum Stewart (a member of this board, BTW) plays Tullochgorum stunningly on his Earlywood album. Most of that album is trad material, only a portion of it self-composed.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

As far as Cape Breton goes, there don't seem to be many flute players around here on the island, and I've been asking around. The only one I know of is Stewart MacNeil from the Barra MacNeils, and a couple of others that fool around a bit. Although I did learn that Tom Doorley from Danu lived here for a couple of years, in or near Englishtown, but that's on the Irish side of things. There are a few whistle players, but really not many considering, and I think the music lends itself well to both flute and whistle. I have an old keyless flute on loan, and I was trying to get started (I'm mostly a whistle player) when something reacted with my lungs and I started having some respiratory problems...not sure if it was the flute, but I've put it down until I'm back to normal.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Caitlin - is it early OBD you are talking about?, if it is then the instrument you are talking about may be a recorder - my favourite live set by the Dogs was Johnny hardie on recorder and Davy Cattanach on djembe playing the Managhan jig.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

BigDavy wrote:Caitlin - is it early OBD you are talking about?, if it is then the instrument you are talking about may be a recorder - my favourite live set by the Dogs was Johnny hardie on recorder and Davy Cattanach on djembe playing the Managhan jig.

David
The album I own is an early one, yes. But their latest CD, Four on the Floor (Live) has some lovely...something in it as well that sounds very much like a flute. That's what I was primarily thinking of.

Caitlin
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Adrian W. wrote:As far as Cape Breton goes, there don't seem to be many flute players around here on the island, and I've been asking around.
Johnny Wilmot's Another Side of Cape Breton compiles several 78s and an LP made in the 50s and 60s for a tiny Cape Breton Label. As the blurb below says, several tracks featured whistle. These are the only Cape Breton 'wind' recordings I know of from the pre-revival era.

Another great compilation from Breton Books and music, Another Side of Cape Breton presesents Johnny's early recordings (1951-64). In addition to fiddle and piano selections (with Margaret MacPhee or Mildred Leadbeater) there are tracks with tin whistle (Chris Langan on a C Clarke whistle) and others with harmonica (Tommy Basker).
Click the pic for MP3s of all tracks; they could be exerpts, but I think the publisher has posted the whole thing on their website because it's O/P.

The second and third tracks below include whitle. The harmonica track is just really good, so I couldn't resist posting, it, too.
Am I bad because "Hand Organ" is making me giggle?
...During this period he made three trips to Boston where he played with, and for, some of the legendary figures of Irish music, including Paddy Cronin and Joe Derrane. Paddy was heard to say that Johnny was the liveliest Irish jig player he had ever encountered.

Musically, Johnny was fluently bilingual. He was one of the few musicians I ever met who had thoroughly digested both Cape Breton Irish and Cape Breton Scottish styles. While his own compositions often straddled this Irish-Scottish fence, his settings of traditional tunes kept the two separate, always displaying personal style without sacrificing the beauty and integrity of the 'original' melodies.

Johnny was exposed to live Irish and Scottish styles of music from the time he was an infant. Starting in the late 'twenties he began listening to the Irish 78s of Coleman, Morrison etc. and and later to the Cape Breton 78s of the Inverness Serenaders. He played most of the 'mainstream repertoire' including the majority of tunes recorded and played by other Cape Breton fiddlers between 1930-65. Many of these tunes were found in easily available books such as Cole's One Thousand Fiddle Tunes, J. Scott Skinner's, The Scottish Violinist, The Scotch Guard and The Skye, O'Neill's and Kerr's Collections.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

s1m0n wrote:
Adrian W. wrote:As far as Cape Breton goes, there don't seem to be many flute players around here on the island, and I've been asking around.
"Johnny Wilmot's Another Side of Cape Breton compiles several 78s and an LP made in the 50s and 60s for a tiny Cape Breton Label. As the blurb below says, several tracks featured whistle. These are the only Cape Breton 'wind' recordings I know of from the pre-revival era."

Thanks; yeah, I can't add any more older sources for wind, but the Northside is where I would look for Irish music/flute/whistle even today. Tommy Basker is still well remembered; I like a little jig he wrote called 'Noreen Locke", hoping my daughter and i can play it one day, still a little tough for her.

When I said there is more whistle in Cape Breton than sometimes people credit, I was thinking of today....the local music store seems to sell a good number of whistles (mostly the Gens and other inexpensive whistles, but they have some more expensive ones turning over too), and there are a handful of good players around (plus me!). Not a lot, but I read a thread at theSession that implied there was none, and that's not true.

I'd love to see a really good wooden flute player tackle CB music here. I think Cathal McConnell has recorded a bit of it (the Wedding Reels on a Boys of the Lough album). There's room here for more Irish music too; a friend has a little pub band going doing Irish music, and they are run off their feet.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
david_h

Post by david_h »

Not a strathspey, but scottish (I think) and played by a scot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbW7-lqlC0w
I think there is some more flute from Iain MacDonald in the Highland Sessions clips on youtube but can't find it right now. It should hardly be a chore going through the clips looking for it though.
piperman07

Post by piperman07 »

hans wrote:
fifenwhistle wrote:I think one good example, might be better ones out there, which could be extrapolated to the flute somewhat, is Natalie McMasters take on Tolluchgorum w/ variations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-d9A0jRBYY
Tullochgorum: you mean this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdc-oL6VjIc
Great playing!

There is also a great flute rendering of this tune by Chris Norman on the CD "The Caledonian Flute" (not available to listen on the web though).

~Hans
It is available on iTunes, I found it this morning.

Steve
...... I got nothin'....
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

caitlin ruadh wrote:
BigDavy wrote:Caitlin - is it early OBD you are talking about?, if it is then the instrument you are talking about may be a recorder - my favourite live set by the Dogs was Johnny hardie on recorder and Davy Cattanach on djembe playing the Managhan jig.

David
The album I own is an early one, yes. But their latest CD, Four on the Floor (Live) has some lovely...something in it as well that sounds very much like a flute. That's what I was primarily thinking of.

Caitlin
That was a low whistle, but the idea is similar.
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

jemtheflute wrote:I can't remember if it is one of the tracks on his MySpace site, But Calum Stewart (a member of this board, BTW) plays Tullochgorum stunningly on his Earlywood album. Most of that album is trad material, only a portion of it self-composed.
Part of it is there. Based on this thread I tried to order his latest CD from his site but my PayPal went un-retrieved by him and subsequent emails got bounced back. Does anyone have updated info on Calum?

I was able to get his Earlywood album from a Scottish music site but I'd also like to get his newer one.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]