Any Bansuri owner ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

gerardo1000 wrote:
I made a long research on the web and (as a non-expert) this is what I understand: although bansuri indian flutes are made in different sizes, including small ones, the "real" bansuris that Indian professional play are quite bigger than the Irish flutes, which usually are in the key of low D.
The most common key is low B (tonic E) or even lower !
This is what gives to a bansuri its distinctive fascinating deep sound.
It's the size, more than the design, that makes a difference between a bansuri and an Irish flute.
More over, even if the original bansuri flutes had six holes, most contemporary bansuri have seven holes.
Last but not least, I understand that the tuning could be a bit different from traditional western tuning. I was told that to a "western ear", a bansuri could seem a bit out of tune.
But I am no expert, and it would be interesting to hear from someone with more knowledge.
you perhaps have not checked out the info in this
bansuri topic.

1. No one bansuri is more "real" than another when it comes to size. For a start the indic trad is a transposing trad meaning that anything and everything is transposed to a key suited to the singer (or instrument) and therefore those accopanying need to adjus6t constantly. Prior to the recent classisization of the bansuri it was the bansuris equal to and smaller than the D flute that were most common (and still are). It is only the classical tradition that sees a predominance of large flutes but this tradition is a very teeny weeny part of the WHOLE trad. And even in this portion the FOLK trad of bansuri is clearly acknowledged in performance, sourcing and diiscussion.
2. Most contemporary bansuris have only the six toneholes. Its only the classical bansuris that go for the pinky or lap hole.
3. There are issues of design that distinguish the north indian bansuri for other diatonic bamboo flutes. These are nicely explained by Doug Tipple.
4. yes, bansuris can often be tuned to a type of just Lydian intonation
from XXX OOO as opposed to an equal temperament Lydian from XXX OOO. In my experience this has never been a problem when playing with western music and I had discussed this in that other bansuri topic. (see link above).

The thing is that a classical bansuri is designed (with appropriate mastery of glissandi technique) to be able articulate every possible mode from XXX OOO or XXO OOO tonic with sliding technique including microtonal distinctions not possible on a keyed flute. (that is one of the hallmarks of mastery. I am not there yet.)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

talasiga wrote:The thing is that a classical bansuri is designed (with appropriate mastery of glissandi technique) to be able articulate every possible mode from XXX OOO or XXO OOO tonic with sliding technique including microtonal distinctions not possible on a keyed flute. (that is one of the hallmarks of mastery. I am not there yet.)
OK. here's an example FWIW.

I will compare a keyed Irish D flute
and a D bell note bansuri (G tonic) .

The bansuri master (not me!) is playing two different Aeolian mode pieces wiith G tonic - raag Darbari and raag Jaunpuri.
Both have nominally the same scale of G natural minor (G Aeolian) namely,
G A Bb C D Eb F G+

The bansuri player has to "half hole" the following for the precise note that heshe needs:-

Bb C Eb and F.

Not only that, there are microtonal differences in the notes between these two raags. For instance, Darbari, a deep night raag, has a very flat minor third interval while Jaunpuri's minor third is brighter. This means the half holing for the Bb in each of these raags will be DIFFERENT. Darbari's Bb will sound flatter than than the Bb on a key mechanism articulated Bb and Jaunpuri's may sound the same as the key mechaniism articulated Bb on the Irish flute or it may sound a tad sharper.
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

Thank you for all the info, Talasiga. You really know a lot about the subject !
By the way, I am used to six holes (Irish whistle and Irish flute).
Should I have ordered a six holes bansuri then ? Will it be difficult to adjust to seven holes ? I wonder if I can just use the first six holes and not use the seventh "pinky" hole as a start.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

gerardo1000 wrote:Thank you for all the info, Talasiga. You really know a lot about the subject !
By the way, I am used to six holes (Irish whistle and Irish flute).
Should I have ordered a six holes bansuri then ? Will it be difficult to adjust to seven holes ? I wonder if I can just use the first six holes and not use the seventh "pinky" hole as a start.
Last question first. Of course you can. I have done that for 30 years.
Will it be difficult to use the pinky? Depends on your hand size and the way your hand works etc etc.
Should you have ordered a 6 holer? No, it doesn't matter. It is the same 6 digit technique whether you play Irish flute or whistle or bansuri. The pinky hole just gives you an option just like the low C# key on an Irish flute.

Be excited about your flute and enjoy.
The issue about whether you can use the pinky for the low note in CERTAIN raags is an issue that only comes as a demand for master bansuri players in highly refined classical performance.

Good Luck!
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

One World Trading

Post by JS »

woodflute mentioned One World Trading (http://www.one-world-trading.com/) as a source for bansuri. They certainly have a variety of offerings from various makers. I was wondering if woodflute or anyone else with experience of this company might have any comments to offer about the different flutes available there? Thanks.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
woodflute

Post by woodflute »

I have bought flutes by Jeff Whittier and Pratap Gujar from one world trading. To be honest I would find it hard to offer much in the way of comments beyond that they are both wonderful flutes. I play the Jeff Whittier special edition Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia flute (tonic D#) daily and it is my favorite flute.
As for the company I found one world trading friendly and easy to deal with - my own personal experience anyway. :)
JS

Post by JS »

Thanks.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I finally received my bansuri yesterday. First of all, I am very surprised by the quality for the price: the flute looks very nicely made, with good and straight (and not too thin) bamboo.
The sound also is very good in my opinion: it is exactly the beautiful haunting deep sound that I was looking for. It is also easy to get a sound from it, not too much breath requirement. The problem is: this flute is huge ! Almost 30 inches long, and the finger spacing is crazy !
Even if I am used to low D whistles and I know how to play with the piper grip, I had problems all evening to cover all the holes and get a full low B note. By the way, the main problem is NOT the last three holes (I can manage to cover them quite well with my right hand). The problem are the FIRST three holes ! If I cover the first two with my left hand fingers, I struggle to cover the third one...
But I hope that I will manage to make it sooner or later.
In the meantime, I ordered a smaller flute from the same manufacturer,
in low D (tonic ) which should be more or less long as my Tipple Irish flute. I must say that I am positively surprised by this first experience with the Bansuri world. These flutes have a great sound, and cost very little. Thanks for the attention.
talasiga

Re:

Post by talasiga »

gerardo1000 wrote:..... The problem are the FIRST three holes ! If I cover the first two with my left hand fingers, I struggle to cover the third one...
Anchor your left ring finger with its top phalange on L3
The middle finger's and index finger's middle phalanges are to cover
L2 and L1.

By planting your L3 first you use that to pivot the application of the other two.
Once you find the right spot (angle and point on each phalange) for you it will begin to happen automatically for each finger but that is how you begin.

Also the left thumb position is vital.
Check out the Prasad Bhandarkar site linked into in my bansi-links topic. He has explained nicely.