Paddy Carty

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lazyleft
antispam: No

Post by lazyleft »

Have you looked ...or did I just misread something? I shall read it again.
Nate
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

lazyleft wrote:Have you looked ...or did I just misread something? I shall read it again.
Nate
No I didn't look but I have never put anything on wikipedia.
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

Apologies..I wasn't meaning to suggest that you didn't know what you may or may not have written in the past. Simply baffled that this kind of misunderstanding could have happened in the first place.
Nate
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

I have just returned to the wikipedia entry. The article in question is not actually on the wiki site but is given as a link. It is entitled 'ril gan ainm played by Paddy Carty'. It has a general overview of Paddy Carty's style of playing and more detailed information on the particular tune being analysed. The end of the piece is signed 'Peter Laban, Miltown Malbay,Co Clare, 5 Jan, 2003.
Again forgive me for missapropriating your name in any context...but you can surely understand that in this particular respect it was not deliberate.
Nate
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Don't worry, nothing to apologise for. I am still before breakfast, much too early to get excited, even if there was something to get excited about, which there wasn't. I had a look too it is a link to Bro Steve's site. Just a look at the playing of one tune.
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

Thank you Mr.Laban. I too am before breakfast, but have not been to bed yet either. In any case I agree that the time of day is not correct for excitement of any kind whichever side of the Atlantic you might be on. It is a pleasure to hear from someone so reasonable in the face of my own total unreasoning in most matters. Thank you.
Nate
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sherlock recording...

Post by kenny »

Peter is correct - unfortunately the Roger Sherlock "Memories" LP, on the London "Inchcronin" label, was never released on CD. Having been lucky enough to have been in a class taught by Roger at the Willie Clancy week in the early 1980s, I'd say the recording doesn't do him justice, but then that's often the case. The record does occasionally turn up on eBay, as does the "McGuire & Sherlock" recording. I seem to remember that that has a flute solo of the "Duke of Leinster" and the "Duke of Leinster's Wife" on it.
Nobody seems to have taken up your comment about traditional Irish music "dying". I think that's a ridiculously pessimistic view to take. It's certainly changing, and we may not particularly like some of the directions it's going off in, [ and I think you and I would agree about some of those directions, "lazyleft" ], but the music is certainly not in danger of "dying". Perhaps you meant that the "older" styles of playing are in danger of being lost, and if that is indeed what you meant, then I regretfully would have to agree. Mind you, we still have Kevin Henry..........
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

One thing which may escape someone listening to the Paddy Carty album, until one tries to play the tunes oneself, is that a number of the tunes are in keys which would be nearly impossible on an ordinary "Irish flute".

Paddy played a Radcliff system flute.
On it, rolls on F natural and B flat, and "rocking" phrases using these notes as the anchor, are no more difficult than these things on F# and B natural are on a keyless "Irish flute".
He seemed to take delight in playing fiddle/box tunes in D minor and G minor, and G-F tunes, that most Irish fluteplayers and pipers avoid.

One slighty odd aspect to some of Paddy's arrangements is the way that he will go from bottom D to middle C or C# and back, a jerky interval most flute players would avoid. I presume that this is occuring in fiddle/box tunes and Paddy is simply playing the tunes note-for-note, but substituting middle C or C# for low C or C#. Curiously, his flute DID have these notes available on the footjoint, but like many Irish players Paddy would rotate the footjoint so that these keys faced away from him and were not within reach.

There's a player similar in many ways to Paddy Carty who I never hear anybody talk about: Paddy O Donahue. He also plays a mechanised flute, in his case a Boehm.

Years ago I actually bought a Radcliff flute but never got it going satisfactorily. There was a leak somewhere that a number of different top-notch repair people couldn't find. The flute I had was conical, Paddy Carty's had a Boehm bore.

There's a story/legend I've heard about that Paddy Carty recording, that Paddy was sick in bed and people showed up and drove him through the rain at night to the place where that recording was made. The banjo kid was used because there was nobody else who could accompany on short notice. Perhaps the legend is rubbish.

I've heard it said by several people who had heard Paddy play in person that that recording is a pale representation of Paddy's playing.
For sure I've heard one tape of him where his playing sounds far more powerful and aggresssive than it does on that LP.

Another curiousity about the original LP (which I still have) is that there is sheet music included to several of the tunes, sheet music which, strangely enough, does not represent Paddy's arrangements in the least, including notes below bottom D which Paddy never plays.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

notes below bottom D which Paddy never plays.
You may want to revisit your copy of "Traditional Music of Ireland". Track 4, Paddy Fahey's jig, Paddy Carty does play a C below D.

I'm sure that's not the only occurrence.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

When you've got it, you might as well use it. The man was a master flute player in any arena.

IIRC, Carty wasn't originally regarded as Mr. Traditional, either (although he was always regarded as Mr. Amazing). But that's tradition for you -- it takes what it likes and leaves the rest.

Hadn't heard the Paddy Carty sickbed story; could it be twined with Paddy O'Brien (Nenagh box player)'s recording tale? Then again, musicians get sick, too ...

I have a wonderful stray recording of Roger Sherlock somewhere. I don't think it's the Duke of Leinster/Leinster's Wife track, but maybe it is; it's been a while. I'll look for it.

Mick O'Connor (the young banjo player on the first recording) is a wonderful player; one of my favorites. There are some videos of his playing on YouTube. I believe his path crossed with Roger Sherlock's on the London ceili scene in the 80s, didn't it?

Roger Sherlock's on the Tube in a few ceili vids, too.

P.S. Report from the States on the general state of ... I've had the pleasure of meeting and hearing a couple of strong younger Chicago players who to my ear are carrying the Kevin Henry torch beautifully. And then there are the "Raffertarians," ;-) among them the indispensible Lesl Harker, who are doing a grand job carrying on Mike's playing as well. We're hanging in there!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

Thank you Kathy for reminding me of Mike Rafferty. He is a player that is fairly new to me but certainly one that I have already formed the greatest respect for. His playing kind of reminds me of Josie Mcdermott although I think they are from different parts of the country.
Thank you also Kenny for your comments. I was perhaps not being pessimistic as drunk and maudlin. However I do think from what I observe in isolation here in God forsaken Alberta ( no offense meant to any Albertans, I love Alberta and it has been good to me, but the itm scene here is horrible ) that older forms of playing are dying out and are being replaced with styles that are seemingly more sophisticated but which to my ear at least sound depressingly superficial. I blame technology! Why not? I've blamed just about everything else.
Apropros nothing whatsoever and to return to the cd 'Paddy in the smoke' mentioned earlier, some of the tracks are credited to Con Curtin, who I assume is the Con Curtin of Cornelius Curtins Big Balloon. Which is one of my favourite tunes and is played by Paddy Carty. Just tickled me is all. Thanks.
Nate
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Cathy Wilde wrote:And then there are the "Raffertarians," among them the indispensible Lesl Harker, who are doing a grand job carrying on Mike's playing as well.
Hahaha! Raffertarians is perfect.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

A few random things...

I posted the link to Peter's article on wikipedia, so I assumed you'd meant that it was linked from there. I'm glad that's still the case.

The legend I heard about Carty & O'Connor is that O'Connor had just gotten his first banjo (after playing guitar for a while) the day of the recording and wanted to use it instead of the guitar... Hence the very simple accompaniment. I don't personally believe it.

There's a nice video of Paddy Carty, Conor Tully, Frank Hogan, Padraig 'Ac Donncha playing Molly Ban and The Boys of Ballisodare on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64ofeGJN_g

It can also be found on the Come West Along the Road 1 DVD. On #2, there's Tully and Hogan playing a lovely selection of reels, including that ril gan ainm that Peter wrote about. They call it Drodegha Lasses.
William Bajzek
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

monkey587 wrote:
The legend I heard about Carty & O'Connor is that O'Connor had just gotten his first banjo (after playing guitar for a while) the day of the recording and wanted to use it instead of the guitar... Hence the very simple accompaniment. I don't personally believe it.
I'm inclined to agree with you; his Old Hag set (the last track on the recording) doesn't sound too first-day to me. But since I'm only Cathy and not Carty or Mick O'Connor, I don't know what real musicians are capable of!

Speaking of style (and knowing/not knowing) .... Flute Styles for Suki has some live Carty on it. I remember that's the first I heard him; I also remember thinking there was some pretty industrial-strength showboating going on there compared to the other players! :lol: I've revised my opinion since then, but he did seem fond of the twisty stuff.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Cathy Wilde wrote:P.S. Report from the States on the general state of ... I've had the pleasure of meeting and hearing a couple of strong younger Chicago players who to my ear are carrying the Kevin Henry torch beautifully. And then there are the "Raffertarians," ;-) among them the indispensible Lesl Harker, who are doing a grand job carrying on Mike's playing as well. We're hanging in there!
Just remembered -- last summer I ran into a couple of very young Canadian kids who had been learning Peter Horan tunes from Pat O'Gorman...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)